Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flying Westbound

Flying Westbound

Old Jun 4th 2007, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

sheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to all
Default Flying Westbound

Afternoon,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of flying westbound?

We were hoping to fly via Florida, with 2 weeks holiday in Orlando as our stopover.

I know it's a major upheavel with us 2 + 3 children anyway, but we just figured it would be cheaper to do Orlando when we have £ rather than in a few years time when we or rather he is earning ozzy $.

Does anyone have any experience of doing this and if so which Airlines would you recommend.... baggage allowance etc....

Also we've been advised thatif we stay at Disney they'll move our luggage for us - which saves us having to hire an hgv to move it lol.....
thanks,

Shelley
Old Jun 4th 2007, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

minibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud of
Default Re: Flying Westbound

Originally Posted by sheli0508
Afternoon,

We were hoping to fly via Florida, with 2 weeks holiday in Orlando as our stopover.

I know it's a major upheavel with us 2 + 3 children anyway, but we just figured it would be cheaper to do Orlando when we have £ rather than in a few years time when we or rather he is earning ozzy $.

Does anyone have any experience of doing this and if so which Airlines would you recommend.... baggage allowance etc....

Also we've been advised thatif we stay at Disney they'll move our luggage for us - which saves us having to hire an hgv to move it lol.....
thanks,

Shelley
Hi Shelly

We are hoping to fly Westbound, but we are stopping in LA for a week then New Zealand for a week, with Air New Zealand i am not sure if they stop any where else in the USA but if you google them you can add multi stops. I have been told if you can prove you are migrating they will give you 40kg each.

Not sure if this is any help

Thanks

minibelle
Old Jun 4th 2007, 9:21 pm
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

If you fly westbound you will get 46kg whether you are migrating or not, each person gets two suitcases max 23kg plus 7kg hand luggage. This is the only reason I'm going 'the long way'.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

minibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by wannabauzzienurse
If you fly westbound you will get 46kg whether you are migrating or not, each person gets two suitcases max 23kg plus 7kg hand luggage. This is the only reason I'm going 'the long way'.
Hi

Sounds even better, and even more excuse to have more stops, Vegas here we come

minibelle
Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:39 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, we are in Miami right now on our way to Oz. We are flying London-Miami-Cancun-Los Angeles-Hawaii-melbourne. You can book this through Travelmood - www.travelmood.com. Apart from MIA-CAN-LAX the other flights are a Qantas discovery fare (although thank goodness we never have to step on a Qantas plane), the US internals we booked on the web through American Airlines.

And yes you get 46kg all the way.

Buzzy
Old Jun 5th 2007, 9:14 am
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

We are also going that route, have a look here

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=452190

Originally Posted by sheli0508
Afternoon,

thanks,

Shelley
Old Jun 5th 2007, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

sheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to all

thanks everyone I have requested a quotation from Travelmood so I'll see what comes back.

Ideally we want to stay at disney as we've been told they pick up your luggage from the airport so I'll see what travel mood come up with.

thanks again.

Shelley
Old Jun 5th 2007, 7:58 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Shelley, even if you find Travelmood are a bit more expensive, they do tend to sort out any problems quickly and efficently, whereas slightly cheaper travel agents may not.

Buzzy
Old Jun 5th 2007, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

the pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Flying Westbound

Thanks for the tips on this everyone. We want to go via US to see my sister on the way but been told it is best to fly back to London then London to Perth. Trouble is OH's UK Visa will have expired so we'll have to get straight on the Perth flight, boo hoo!
Going to check out the info on this thread and see what the go is, I'm a bit sceptical about the advice from the agents now, who all said we should come back to London first!
Old Jun 6th 2007, 11:59 am
Daryl

darylh is a name known to alldarylh is a name known to alldarylh is a name known to alldarylh is a name known to alldarylh is a name known to alldarylh is a name known to alldarylh is a name known to alldarylh is a name known to alldarylh is a name known to alldarylh is a name known to alldarylh is a name known to all

We fly westbound with Air New Zealand with a stopover in LA, although wasn't that impressed with LA. We got a fairly good deal straight off the Air New Zealand website about 4 weeks before we flew.

Daryl
Old Jun 6th 2007, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

godfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by darylh
We fly westbound with Air New Zealand with a stopover in LA, although wasn't that impressed with LA. We got a fairly good deal straight off the Air New Zealand website about 4 weeks before we flew.

Daryl
That is what we are hoping to do as OH auntie lives in LA.

Do you know what the baggage allownce is?
Old Jun 6th 2007, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by godfrey family-lets go!
That is what we are hoping to do as OH auntie lives in LA.

Do you know what the baggage allownce is?
weve just booked 2 one way tix via la and auckland with air nz and according to their website we can take 2 pieces each max weight 32kgs each and 7kgs hand luggage and laptop as long as its in a small satchel doesnt count as hand luggage allowance.still have to check via t/phone just to confirm that 32 kgs is ok as we were once told that 23kg is allowance / piece due to helth and safety of baggage handlers
bobby
Old Jun 6th 2007, 5:05 pm
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

Hi bobby i'm also flying air nz but although they say you can have laptop PLUS hand luggage BAA say only one piece of hand luggage is allowed
also pretty sure it's 2 x 23kg rather than 2 x 32kg but would be great if i'm wrong