Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flying visit to Melbourne - Advice needed... AGAIN!!

Flying visit to Melbourne - Advice needed... AGAIN!!

Old Jun 10th 2005, 1:24 pm
Jammy Dodger

floss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nice
Talking Flying visit to Melbourne - Advice needed... AGAIN!!

Thanks so much for all the previous advice for our 3-day "do we like it" reccie to Melbourne in August.

I've decided to try to plan it like a military manoeuver - if I KNOW I have managed to fit in the important bits, hopefully we can relax and enjoy it... hey, 3 days, who'm I kidding???

Anyway, we're staying at St Kilda's and need to get a taste of the city, the area around Mt Eliza/Frankston South and the area between Glen Waverley/Ferntree Gully/Heathmont. My lastest brainwave is to drive down the coast on the Sunday morning (arrive Sat lunchtime - we can do the city in an afternoon, right?), have a drive around Mt Eliza etc and then lunch, then drive across country to Ferntree Gully.... drive around and then back to St Kilda's by early evening.

Am I kidding myself? This would give us a full day to go back to the area we like most... but would we be better/saner if we just did each area in a day.

Thanks in advance.... one of these days we'll actually get there and then I can stop asking stupid questions
Old Jun 10th 2005, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

helenmaine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Flying visit to Melbourne - Advice needed... AGAIN!!

Originally Posted by floss
Thanks so much for all the previous advice for our 3-day "do we like it" reccie to Melbourne in August.

I've decided to try to plan it like a military manoeuver - if I KNOW I have managed to fit in the important bits, hopefully we can relax and enjoy it... hey, 3 days, who'm I kidding???

Anyway, we're staying at St Kilda's and need to get a taste of the city, the area around Mt Eliza/Frankston South and the area between Glen Waverley/Ferntree Gully/Heathmont. My lastest brainwave is to drive down the coast on the Sunday morning (arrive Sat lunchtime - we can do the city in an afternoon, right?), have a drive around Mt Eliza etc and then lunch, then drive across country to Ferntree Gully.... drive around and then back to St Kilda's by early evening.

Am I kidding myself? This would give us a full day to go back to the area we like most... but would we be better/saner if we just did each area in a day.

Thanks in advance.... one of these days we'll actually get there and then I can stop asking stupid questions

sorry - this isn't at all an answer to your question (and very picky!) but it's St Kilda and not St Kilda's.....
Old Jun 10th 2005, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice

Well, St Kilda - Frankston South is 1hr 05m driving, I guess if you are just having a drive around FS and Mt Eliza then a hour minimum I suppose, though if you bogged down into looking at estate agent windows etc maybe add more. Lunch somewhere - an hour? Drive to FTG....hmmm. Well maybe someone like Bordy could comment, but I'd guess at least an hour mabe more.
Then look around....

Personally, I'd be tempted to spend longer in each.

Neil
Old Jun 10th 2005, 1:34 pm
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

hello

we have lived here over 4 months now and still havent had time to do the city, we have seen a fair bit of it but there are still lots of things I havent seen or done there.

Think you might be pushin it to do all that in 3 days, its a fair drive to Mt Eliza from the city, especially in busy traffic.

Mt Eliza is gorgeous, but I have heard (from the locals) that Frankstons not that nice, but cheap houses tho......

good luck

laura
x
Old Jun 10th 2005, 1:36 pm

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wongstonn
Well, St Kilda - Frankston South is 1hr 05m driving, I guess if you are just having a drive around FS and Mt Eliza then a hour minimum I suppose, though if you bogged down into looking at estate agent windows etc maybe add more. Lunch somewhere - an hour? Drive to FTG....hmmm. Well maybe someone like Bordy could comment, but I'd guess at least an hour mabe more.
Then look around....

Personally, I'd be tempted to spend longer in each.

Neil

to FTG from Clayton took me over an hour and a half one day and it was a nightmare of a drive, trams on roads etc.....scary
Old Jun 10th 2005, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice

I'd agree that central Frankston is not so good, and a large number of chavs in the shopping centre, but Frankston South gets better the more south one goes. From dim recollection of my reccie trip two or three years ago, some parts of Frankston Heights are okay too.
Old Jun 10th 2005, 1:49 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
to FTG from Clayton took me over an hour and a half one day and it was a nightmare of a drive, trams on roads etc.....scary
LMAO, did you go via Toorak Laura? We would love Trams here in FTG.

And Neil if you want lunch here let me know & I'll get a couple of Reds in.
Old Jun 10th 2005, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Bordy
LMAO, did you go via Toorak Laura? We would love Trams here in FTG.

And Neil if you want lunch here let me know & I'll get a couple of Reds in.

is ftg - furn tree gully????
Old Jun 10th 2005, 1:51 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
is ftg - furn tree gully????
Ferntree Gully Darling.
Old Jun 10th 2005, 1:52 pm
Jammy Dodger

floss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nice
Talking Re: Flying visit to Melbourne - Advice needed... AGAIN!!

Another silly question, perhaps - are places to eat (cheap, cheerful - been recommended fish & chips near Mornington Beach) open on Sundays?

Ps. thanks for the St Kilda bit - been looking at websites for HOURS and I'm not sure if it's my eyes or my brain, but something has fried
Old Jun 10th 2005, 1:54 pm

Ferntree Gully Darling.
sorry i went somewhere past there, it was for job interview, cant spell it tho......just checked the map, it was box hill where i went but i went through FTG, and it took forever!!!!
might of got lost too lol
Old Jun 10th 2005, 1:56 pm
The Godfather

Another silly question, perhaps - are places to eat (cheap, cheerful - been recommended fish & chips near Mornington Beach) open on Sundays?

Ps. thanks for the St Kilda bit - been looking at websites for HOURS and I'm not sure if it's my eyes or my brain, but something has fried
Yikes, why are people coming to Ferntree Gully. Its horrible here, go to Berwick.
Old Jun 10th 2005, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dunno about fish and chips, but on Main St in Mornington, just near the Esplanade, is a place called the 'Boyz for Brekkie', recommended by The Age: Cheap Eats Guide. I checked it out and thought it very good.
Old Jun 10th 2005, 2:02 pm

Yikes, why are people coming to Ferntree Gully. Its horrible here, go to Berwick.

yes i didnt like it much when i was lost there, where ever i was lol

Floss,

yes that is a silly question, there are lots of cheap and very nice places to eat here, you really are panicing a bit too much now. Just chill out there are cafes and food places on every corner here, so you will never need to worry about where to eat.......

im off to bed now, night, nite

laura
Old Jun 10th 2005, 2:03 pm

PS

yes you can get anything on a sunday even fish n chips, i love it here!!!

laura
x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.