Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flying via US 62kg baggage allowances

Flying via US 62kg baggage allowances

Old Oct 14th 2003, 3:13 pm
Badge

Default Flying via US 62kg baggage allowances

I rang up BA to tell him I wanted to claim extra kilos.

They said "we don't do it any more" - the Migration Allowance.

However as you are flying through the US we will allow you TWO bags of 32kg EACH for your baggage. (I forgot to ask what the allowance for emotional was ;-) ).

So you get 62kg anyhow!!! (Compared to 20kg via Asia - 40kg on migration visa.)

I am transiting from SF- LA on a domestic flight and I've been told that if I can prove I landed in SF, then the checkin people at SF and LA won't be anal.

If people are taking 3 times what Europeans take - 20kg - then how is the plane taking off?!!!

badge

Old Oct 14th 2003, 3:14 pm
Badge

oops spot the deliberate mistake - 64...

Old Oct 14th 2003, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Especially as they all weigh twice as much as us as well
Old Oct 14th 2003, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

mmm for me that is an extra case just for shoes ..... great
Old Oct 14th 2003, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

The baggage allowance on transatlantic scheduled services is 2 pieces if you are flying in economy, there is an upper limit to the weight and dimentions of the bags, but if memory serves if you had bags that big and that heavy then you wouldnt be able to carry them.

Do check your ticket, if it says 2pc then you only have 2 pieces of checked baggage not the upper weight limit and may be charged excess if you try to check in more than 2 bags.

Lynn
Old Oct 14th 2003, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

dibrucewillis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Flying via US 62kg baggage allowances

Make you wonder how these planes get off the ground

Diane

Originally posted by badgersmount

However as you are flying through the US we will allow you TWO bags of 32kg EACH for your baggage. (I forgot to ask what the allowance for emotional was ;-) ).

I am transiting from SF- LA on a domestic flight and I've been told that if I can prove I landed in SF, then the checkin people at SF and LA won't be anal.

If people are taking 3 times what Europeans take - 20kg - then how is the plane taking off?!!!

badge
Old Oct 14th 2003, 5:55 pm
Badge

Originally posted by lynnj
The baggage allowance on transatlantic scheduled services is 2 pieces if you are flying in economy, there is an upper limit to the weight and dimentions of the bags, but if memory serves if you had bags that big and that heavy then you wouldnt be able to carry them.

Do check your ticket, if it says 2pc then you only have 2 pieces of checked baggage not the upper weight limit and may be charged excess if you try to check in more than 2 bags.

Lynn
Absolutely!! It's 2 pieces.

62kg not an issue for me. I used to run distances of 10-20 miles some over mountainous country carrying a load of 20kg...its not like you have to even hoist them on your back - thank God - just pick up, walk forward - put down. The Marines and Paras walked across the Falklands carrying over 100k on their backs etc. we used to lug 60k+ out of aeroplanes when we were parachuting but I digress .....;-) still you wouln't want to carry more than 50m.

..I'll be using taxis etc. I once crammed a suitcase full and it was 25 kilos - so I will probably take one of 25, and one of 20 ish (say).

They did say that each suitcase must not be more than 62 inches (that is the width plus the height plus the depth..) I asked if a "regular" plastic case exceeded this and they said No.

badge

Old Oct 14th 2003, 6:29 pm
WBB

Absolutely!! It's 2 pieces.

62kg not an issue for me. I used to run distances of 10-20 miles some over mountainous country carrying a load of 20kg...its not like you have to even hoist them on your back - thank God - just pick up, walk forward - put down. The Marines and Paras walked across the Falklands carrying over 100k on their backs etc. we used to lug 60k+ out of aeroplanes when we were parachuting but I digress .....;-) still you wouln't want to carry more than 50m.

badge

would not want to do this now though badge

Old Oct 14th 2003, 8:30 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hi badgersmount,
I recently flew to a destination in the USA via Lufthansa / star alliance and was told at check in at Birmingham that I was allowed 62kg of baggage.

It was a shock to me as I had one bag which I had mades sure only weighed 19kg.

I think It's worth checking with the carrier and the travel agent though.

Bye
Markeh
Old Oct 14th 2003, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Sarah2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

badge
This is because the runways in the States are longer than the ones in Asia. Big plus for Air NZ, Qantas etc that fly through the states! In all the times I have done the trip I have never managed to exceed the 62kg either.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 8:48 pm
slowly turning kiwi...

flygirl is an unknown quantity at this point

i think the 2 pieces at 33kg a piece is standard when travelling via any part of the americas.

i normally travel back to the uk through LA on air nz (gosh that makes it sound like i do it everyday doesnt it!!?? if only...) - when i first came out to the south pacific i was joining a sailing ship for a year and they advised me that the sailors normally came out via LA to get the extra baggage...

i asked a travel agent friend over here recently about booking tickets to go back to the uk for a visit next year.

i said that i wanted to go via LA so that i'd get the extra baggage for my paraglider and he said 'have you thought of a stop off in south america, like argentina?' - you get the same 64kg luggage allowance apparently but you get to see somewhere a bit more unusual.

he said that you get the 64kgs no matter what part of the americas you travel through.

Old Oct 14th 2003, 9:00 pm
slowly turning kiwi...

flygirl is an unknown quantity at this point

incidentally, last time i went back to the uk was the time i decided to make the move permanent - and not being the owner of a mass of wordly goods, decided to try and come back to nz with all my stuff on the flight.

i rocked up at the air nz check in at heathrow with two large computer monitor boxes stuffed with all my possessions - i could only just get my arms around them to pick them up so they wouldnt go on the scales or up the conveyor belt.

they called a nice man who came over said 'oh i'll take those to the oversize for you' stuck on a load of 'fragile', 'heavy' and 'oversize' stickers and wandered round the back with my trolley. i have no idea how much they weighed but i was aiming at the 30kg mark per box - i never saw them get weighed and they never said anything.

the trick in nz is to book your international flight right through to your home town cos the domestic flights only have an allowance of 20kg but if you are on a leg of an int'l flight you get the full 64kg
Old Oct 14th 2003, 9:13 pm
Badge

Default IMPORTANT

IMPORTANT

If, like we, are doing you stop over and transit across US (say from SF - LA) and the flights were not issued on the same "number" (not sure exactly what the deciding factor is) even if the itinerary shows it's all part of the same trup (oops trip- NZ accent!) the 62kg international allowance is LOST on the domestic section.

Most people say go through one gateway city (LA/SF) so there's no worries.

I was mighty miffed until he said you are now limited to 50lbs EACH for 2. (The domestic allowance)

Hang on I thought - that is 22kg each - only 10kg less per case.

This is still better than one case. So it's not all lost.

I was planning on taking 2 cases of around 25kg anyhow.
Also - get this - the carry on can be 22kg as well.

As my mate is going back to Uk, I will use their 2nd case as well.

So that's 3 cases * 22kg. Not bad, eh?

Tina, this may be relevant for you? As your're gonna be doing a bit of swanning around in the states?

badge

Last edited by badgersmount; Oct 14th 2003 at 9:18 pm.

Old Oct 14th 2003, 9:14 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Flygirl,
62 kg of luggage is alot.
You must be big and strong to carry that around.

One word of warning though, the airlines do have a limit to how much each bag can weigh, but I've seen 40" TV's at Dubai go as oversize luggage.

Bye
Markeh
Old Oct 14th 2003, 9:21 pm
Badge

an average fit Sheila (not massive, not skinny) will weigh around 60 kg.

a tad under 9.5 stone!!!

So that's your body weight,eh for some of you.

jesus

Badge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.