Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flying? Oooh Dear!

Flying? Oooh Dear!

Old Dec 9th 2004, 9:22 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flying? Oooh Dear!

Hi Guys,

My big lump of a hubby is sh!t scared of flying :scared: He,s flown back & forth most of his days except the last 10yrs weve been together.

Apart from him having a few drinks has anybody got any ideas how i can calm/relax his fear?

We have 3kids to amuse during the flights & there is NO way he will be getting drunk & leaving me to it

Me on the other hand,have never flown in my life before,never even been in an airport!

Flying or the thought of it just doesnt phase me at all,not being a smarty here,just dont think it will bother me,i,ll probably be too busy concentrating on the kids & hubby

Any hints,tips guys?

Cheers Donna x
Old Dec 9th 2004, 10:03 pm
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Flying? Oooh Dear!

take a look...
Attached Thumbnails Flying? Oooh Dear!-30oct10010.jpg   Flying? Oooh Dear!-lppt.jpg   Flying? Oooh Dear!-cirrus.jpeg  
Old Dec 9th 2004, 10:08 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomerang
take a look...

Thanx Boomerang! That really helps !!

Donna.
Old Dec 9th 2004, 10:16 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

This may work, depending on what type of guy he is...

Start acting like you're scared to. Bite your nails, talk lots about plane crashes, reaffirm your love to him before you get on the plane just in case the worst happens etc etc...
Tell him that you need reassurance.

His male ego should then give him a kick up the ar*e telling him that he should be strong for you. Problem solved.

It works for Jules on me
Old Dec 9th 2004, 10:25 pm

Talking Re: Flying? Oooh Dear!

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
This may work, depending on what type of guy he is...

Start acting like you're scared to. Bite your nails, talk lots about plane crashes, reaffirm your love to him before you get on the plane just in case the worst happens etc etc...
Tell him that you need reassurance.

His male ego should then give him a kick up the ar*e telling him that he should be strong for you. Problem solved.

It works for Jules on me

Lol! He either gets on the plane or i will divorce him not kidding!

Donna.
Old Dec 9th 2004, 10:37 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by madsad
Lol! He either gets on the plane or i will divorce him not kidding!

Donna.
Before I was due to fly to Spain on my first ever flight in '85, I went to Heathrow and sat on a viewing terrace on top of terminal 2. For about 2 hours I watched literally hundreds of planes landing and taking off. I thought to myself, 'well if they can all do it, so can I'. Got on the plane a few weeks later with no probs whatsoever.

I love taking off and landing, but just find the bit in between seriously dull, so I'm not looking forward to the Aussie flight in January because of the mind-numbing dullness of long flights. So as an aside to the fear factor, bring plenty to keep yourselves, and especially the kids, amused, because the in-flight entertainment just isn't enough!
Old Dec 9th 2004, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by tonyk38
Before I was due to fly to Spain on my first ever flight in '85, I went to Heathrow and sat on a viewing terrace on top of terminal 2. For about 2 hours I watched literally hundreds of planes landing and taking off. I thought to myself, 'well if they can all do it, so can I'. Got on the plane a few weeks later with no probs whatsoever.

I love taking off and landing, but just find the bit in between seriously dull, so I'm not looking forward to the Aussie flight in January because of the mind-numbing dullness of long flights. So as an aside to the fear factor, bring plenty to keep yourselves, and especially the kids, amused, because the in-flight entertainment just isn't enough!

Okay Tony-you offering your services?!! awh go on!

Donna.
Old Dec 9th 2004, 10:58 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Okay Tony-you offering your services?!! awh go on!

Donna.
LOL, I'm not very good at juggling, crap at card tricks, and I have no experience of trying to entertain bored kids. Otherwise, no probs!
Old Dec 9th 2004, 10:58 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

A fear of flying thread that someone started earlier this year ( wonder how that person got on with the flight, she said she was flying in Nov) . There are a few ideas there, from drugs, fear of flying lessons ( not that I need lessons to be afraid of flying ) etc . Your logical hubby is not alone.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=flying

Anyone who isn't frightened of getting into those flying, claustrophobic pieces of junk needs their heads seen to

Just get P*ssed.

We have decided we are going home for Christmas, things are booked as of yesterday ( That's if I don't bottle out at the last minute). I'm absolutely worrying about it. I hate flying!. Actually it's not the flying I'm worried about, it's the crashing.
It never gets any easier no matter how many times that I fly . I wonder if I can post myself surface mail, I'll get home by Easter. Easter ,Christmas it's all the same to me. The family can pretend Easter is really Christmas can't they.

No help sorry,spend the 24 hrs before the flight literally clinging to the toilet bowl being sick.

Have a few beers before getting on ( be the last person getting on the plane and always wait for your name to be called over the speakers ..lol)Grab the nearest person next to you when taking off, break their hand. spend the whole trip not sleeping, and try to convince yourself it's a funny looking bus not a plane.. then break another bone in the hand of the person sitting next to you when you go into landing.
Get off plane, kiss the ground, then worry about the return flight.

Haven't cured myself in all the time that I've been flying all over the place.. impossible when it's a real logical fear.
The above thread may help your hubby with his fear , I'll just stick to the beers.

Cheers
Old Dec 9th 2004, 11:03 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ceri
A fear of flying thread that someone started earlier this year ( wonder how that person got on with the flight, she said she was flying in Nov) . There are a few ideas there, from drugs, fear of flying lessons ( not that I need lessons to be afraid of flying ) etc . Your logical hubby is not alone.

Anyone who isn't frightened of getting into those flying, claustrophobic pieces of junk needs their heads seen to

Just get P*ssed.

We have decided we are going home for Christmas, things are booked as of yesterday ( That's if I don't bottle out at the last minute). I'm absolutely worrying about it. I hate flying!. Actually it's not the flying I'm worried about, it's the crashing.
It never gets any easier no matter how many times that I fly . I wonder if I can post myself surface mail, I'll get home by Easter. Easter ,Christmas it's all the same to me. The family can pretend Easter is really Christmas can't they.

No help sorry,spend the 24 hrs before the flight literally clinging to the toilet bowl being sick.

Have a few beers before getting on ( be the last person getting on the plane and always wait for your name to be called over the speakers ..lol)Grab the nearest person next to you when taking off, break their hand. spend the whole trip not sleeping, and try to convince yourself it's a funny looking bus not a plane.. then break another bone in the hand of the person sitting next to you when you go into landing.

Haven't cured myself in all the time that I've been flying all over the place.. impossible when it's a real logical fear.
The above thread may help your hubby with his fear , I'll just stick to the beers.

Cheers
On a serious but related note.......airlines are starting to crack down on drunk travellers by not letting them on the plane to start with! If you must drink beforehand to steady your nerves, don't make it too obvious to the flight attendants, even though you will be rather ironically served with alcohol as soon as you get on board!!
Old Dec 9th 2004, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by Ceri

Just get P*ssed.

Cheers
Ceri, i am in the same boat as you mate, it's not the flying it's the crashing that worries me!! it;'s the thought of having no control whatsover, i know some people find this mad, i dont, i hate flying and always will.

Enjoy your break back in the land of the valleys.

Malcolm.
Old Dec 9th 2004, 11:07 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

On a serious but related note.......airlines are starting to crack down on drunk travellers by not letting them on the plane to start with! If you must drink beforehand to steady your nerves, don't make it too obvious to the flight attendants, even though you will be rather ironically served with alcohol as soon as you get on board!!
I've never not been allowed onto a plane - more is the pity

Actually I find it very hard to get drunk when I fly, my fear out weighs the alcohol. I can not get drunk no matter how I try
Old Dec 9th 2004, 11:13 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri, i am in the same boat as you mate, it's not the flying it's the crashing that worries me!! it;'s the thought of having no control whatsover, i know some people find this mad, i dont, i hate flying and always will.

Enjoy your break back in the land of the valleys.

Malcolm.
It is a combination of things, If it was just turbulence that worried me and things like that, a fear of flying course would work. It is lack of control ( I want a parachute not a r*ddy life jacket under my seat )

I've been flying for years, it seems to get worse not easier.

You're not the only one, I know plenty of people who are scared of flying. It is a very common fear. But some people don't admit it.

Cheers
Old Dec 9th 2004, 11:26 pm

LOL, I'm not very good at juggling, crap at card tricks, and I have no experience of trying to entertain bored kids. Otherwise, no probs!

The kids are not the problem,hubby is !!

I suppose with me, i just dont know what to expect, yes you hear stories,dreads & fears but until i experience it for myself i,ll never know,im looking forward to it regardless & once im at my destination i can then comment on my flying experience!

Donna.
Old Dec 9th 2004, 11:35 pm
Account Closed

The kids are not the problem,hubby is !!

I suppose with me, i just dont know what to expect, yes you hear stories,dreads & fears but until i experience it for myself i,ll never know,im looking forward to it regardless & once im at my destination i can then comment on my flying experience!

Donna.
Tell yourself you'll love it! Once you're off the ground, you're usually hard pressed to realise that you're in the air and moving. It's very smooth! Sit back and enjoy the movies, read every word in the inflight magazine, oh and bring little blow-up cushions for your heads and then you just might even get some sleep!

The other thing I'd recommend is a good cold remedy for the flight. I'd say I've caught colds on about a third of all flights I've been on. They're the perfect breeding ground for airborne germs!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.