Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flying with a newborn. Visas and British Passport

Flying with a newborn. Visas and British Passport

Old Aug 16th 2008, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold
Default Flying with a newborn. Visas and British Passport

Hi ya,

Hubby and I are still thinking about having a 3rd child and we would also like to travel back to the UK next summer for a visit / work / if it happens introduce baby to family etc.

We are on PR visa and can apply for Citizenship in March next year.

If we applied in March I don't think the Ceremony and Passport application would be through in time for our trip back to the UK or arrival of another baby. I might be wrong but I've heard it can take a while.

What sort of timescales and things do I need to think about and is there a way to speed things up? It would be a lot easier to be Australian when having a baby for paperwork / visa reasons I assume.

I've seen that it also takes a while to get British passports so this is a consideration for a baby should I fall pregnant. I'm assuming as a brit I need a birth certificate, then UK passport then visa. Depending on dates this wouldn't give us very long if I was to get pregnant in the next few months. I am assuming a newborn would still need a visa to get back in the country.

Any advice would be appreciated. A lot of this is theoretical at the moment but I would like to understand some of our options better and how it all impacts on our timescales for a trip to the UK.

Ideal scenario at the moment would be to fall pregnant. Book flights for June / July / August so DH can do some work in UK and we can visit family. The visas and passport thing could be the show stopper if I only had 4-6weeks to get it all sorted.

Thanks again for any input.

Poppet

Last edited by PoppetUK; Aug 16th 2008 at 8:32 am.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Flying with a newborn. Visas and British Passport

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
Hi ya,

Hubby and I are still thinking about having a 3rd child and we would also like to travel back to the UK next summer for a visit / work / if it happens introduce baby to family etc.

If we applied in March I don't think the Ceremony and Passport application would be through in time for our trip back to the UK or arrival of another baby. I might be wrong but I've heard it can take a while.

What sort of timescales and things do I need to think about and is there a way to speed things up? It would be a lot easier to be Australian when having a baby for paperwork / visa reasons I assume.

I've seen that it also takes a while to get British passports so this is a consideration for a baby should I fall pregnant. I'm assuming as a brit I need a birth certificate, then UK passport then visa. Depending on dates this wouldn't give us very long if I was to get pregnant in the next few months. I am assuming a newborn would still need a visa to get back in the country.

Any advice would be appreciated. A lot of this is theoretical at the moment but I would like to understand some of our options better and how it all impacts on our timescales for a trip to the UK.

Ideal scenario at the moment would be to fall pregnant. Book flights for June / July / August so DH can do some work in UK and we can visit family. The visas and passport thing could be the show stopper if I only had 4-6weeks to get it all sorted.

Poppet
Just found this on the immi website so that makes it easier then. If I had another baby it would be Australian by birth if I've read correctly due to us being on a PR visa. I guess I would have to find out how long it would take to get Australia passport then for baby of a permanent resident.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Whether you are an Australian citizen by birth depends on the date of your birth.
People born in Australia on or after 20 August 1986 become Australian citizens by birth if at least one parent is an Australian citizen or a permanent resident at the time of the person’s birth.
A child born in Australia to parents who are not permanent residents or Australian citizens acquires Australian citizenship automatically on his or her 10th birthday provided the child is ordinarily resident in Australia. Children born in Australia to foreign diplomats do not acquire Australian citizenship.
People born in Australia before 20 August 1986 became Australian citizens by birth unless one parent was entitled to diplomatic privileges and immunities or was a consular officer of a foreign country"
Old Aug 16th 2008, 1:03 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi ya,

Poppet
The baby would be an Aussie citizen if born here. Get the baby an Australian passport for the trip, the rest of you travel on your UK passports with the Aussie visas you have now.
Then when you get back you can sort out a) the citizenship for the rest of you and b) the UK passport for the baby - although if you are in the UK for long enough you might be able to do that while you're there.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The baby would be an Aussie citizen if born here. Get the baby an Australian passport for the trip, the rest of you travel on your UK passports with the Aussie visas you have now.
Then when you get back you can sort out a) the citizenship for the rest of you and b) the UK passport for the baby - although if you are in the UK for long enough you might be able to do that while you're there.
OK. Thanks for that. It seems to make sense.

Annoying my hubby needs a new UK passport. This seems to cost an arm and a leg from over here so it would have been good to have travelled on the Aussie one then got the UK one when in UK but I don't think we would have anywhere near enough time.

Can you apply for a UK passport in the UK whilst in Aus. How would they know you were off shore / could they be bothered to check.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 3:22 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

OK. Thanks for that. It seems to make sense.

Annoying my hubby needs a new UK passport. This seems to cost an arm and a leg from over here so it would have been good to have travelled on the Aussie one then got the UK one when in UK but I don't think we would have anywhere near enough time.

Can you apply for a UK passport in the UK whilst in Aus. How would they know you were off shore / could they be bothered to check.
You certainly aren't supposed to, but I do know people that have done it. You'd need to give a UK address for it to be sent to as they won't send it to you here, they'll just tell you to go through Canberra.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 4:50 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You certainly aren't supposed to, but I do know people that have done it. You'd need to give a UK address for it to be sent to as they won't send it to you here, they'll just tell you to go through Canberra.
You can apply for a passport while visiting the U.K.:
https://www.ips.gov.uk/passport/apply.asp
Old Aug 16th 2008, 4:52 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It can do, but you might be lucky. Have you done the citizenship test? If not, you should look at that now as there is often a long waiting list.

Your child will be Australian by birth but make sure you get a citizenship certificate as well as a passport to avoid hassle later on:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Eviden...an_Citizenship
Old Aug 17th 2008, 6:26 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by JAJ
You can apply for a passport while visiting the U.K.:
https://www.ips.gov.uk/passport/apply.asp
But is it OK to do it from Aus, via a family address in the UK? Which I think is what the OP was sugesting (and is what I know other people have done) - I know its not the "correct" route, but is there any reason why it wouldn't work?