Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flying East -v- Flying West

Flying East -v- Flying West

Old Jun 18th 2007, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

micnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the rough
Default Flying East -v- Flying West

Have read several threads about the benefits of flying via the States and quite liked the idea of stopping in LA for a few days, doing Disney Land with children and then going on from there. Today I was speaking to a colleague who said that it takes a good 4 hours to clear customs!!!

What are your experiences with customs??
Old Jun 18th 2007, 7:39 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying East -v- Flying West

Originally Posted by micnic
Have read several threads about the benefits of flying via the States and quite liked the idea of stopping in LA for a few days, doing Disney Land with children and then going on from there. Today I was speaking to a colleague who said that it takes a good 4 hours to clear customs!!!

Dont know about customs, but apart from Disneyland, a real big advantage is the baggage allowance. It varies from 20kg to max 40kg with singapore on a PR visa. I believe through the states its about 47kg p.p.

Buzzybee is in Mexico at the moment heading down under (going in style, I think his is a 5 week trip to get down under) He might be able to help. I am sure he is posting daily on his escapades here.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to behold

Customs in LA are HIDEOUS, an absolute nightmare. If you like queueing - a lot - and being treated like (sh1t) cattle by rude unfriendly surly staff then go for it.
Unless you are desperate for the extra luggage allowance don't do it.

- just my opinion, but you did ask what experience people had had

Olias
Old Jun 18th 2007, 8:57 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Olias;4933423 If you like queueing - a lot - and being treated like (sh1t) cattle by rude unfriendly surly staff then go for it.
Unless you are desperate for the extra luggage allowance don't do it.

- just my opinion, but you did ask what experience people had had

Olias[/QUOTE]
And let's not forget that they now fingerprint everyone as well. If you enjoy being treated like a criminal - go for it.

Gina
Old Jun 18th 2007, 10:33 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by micnic

We did this when we came out and, like you, were worried about what it would be like at LA. We might have been lucky but we had no problems at all. Better than when we arrived at Brissie! The only thing I remember being a problem was we were catching a connecting flight to San Francisco and we just had to leave our luggage in a pile in the transit area where anybody could have nicked it We did wonder whether we would ever see it again but it did make it OK. Just remember to put the special padlocks on the cases that Customs can open so they don't break into your luggage!

How are things going with you - don't know if you remember me but I'm the solicitor who used to work at Addison Madden?
Old Jun 19th 2007, 12:22 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

We must have always been lucky then - it's never taken us more than 15 minutes to clear LA customs. (Mr GG goes there because of work.)

And, even if it did take four hours, IMHO, that's worth the extra baggage allowance. Plus, flying that route from the UK always seems to mean less jet lag, too.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 12:31 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Us too we got through in next to know time.

As with most airports its down to luck on the day and how many planes have landed at that time.

Originally Posted by Geordie George
We must have always been lucky then - it's never taken us more than 15 minutes to clear LA customs. (Mr GG goes there because of work.)

And, even if it did take four hours, IMHO, that's worth the extra baggage allowance. Plus, flying that route from the UK always seems to mean less jet lag, too.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 1:34 am
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

We flew via LA and stopped over for 2 weeks. We also had absolutely no problems with customs and got through pretty quickly apart from the fact we picked the slowest line as usual. The extra baggage allowance was amazing, we had no jet lag when we arrived in Adelaide and our girls had a huge surprise which when we went to Disney on our first morning there. Can definitely recommend.

Lou
xx
Old Jun 19th 2007, 1:42 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by furkew
Dont know about customs, but apart from Disneyland, a real big advantage is the baggage allowance. It varies from 20kg to max 40kg with singapore on a PR visa. I believe through the states its about 47kg p.p.

Buzzybee is in Mexico at the moment heading down under (going in style, I think his is a 5 week trip to get down under) He might be able to help. I am sure he is posting daily on his escapades here.
Yep! We're in Mexico right now on our way to Oz - next stop LA! Miami Immigration was OK, fingerprinted and photographed, but very quick, hopefully LA will be as quick.

I recommend always going via the USA to get the 46kg luggage allowance.

Buzzy
Old Jun 19th 2007, 9:16 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George

Been through LA customs dozens of times and I have to say they're no better or worse than elsewhere. I've never been held up. Immigration can take some time though (It's a good idea to answer "no" to the question do you intend to indulge in terrorist activities while in the USA?).
Old Jun 19th 2007, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

micnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the replies - just what I needed to hear!

Think I probably will go via LA (subject to persuading husband!) and treat myself to Disney Land - and the kids of course!

I particularly like the idea of reduced jet-lag and excess baggage although hubby keeps asking what the point of extra luggage is because we still have to be able to manage the luggage and the kids at the airports and get it all into a car at the other end!

My lovely female answer - don't worry about the detail - it'll all work out in the end

Nicky

Nicstids - will pm you!
Old Jun 19th 2007, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

parsonsjonny is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm flyng via LA next month, just wondering if anyone knows if there are restrictions on leaving the airport while waiting for the flight out?
My stopover is for 8 hours and I fancy a look round, don't wanna be stuck in the airport bored to tears...

Cheers.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to behold

No problem when I went, but you will have your luggage with you (you can't check it all the way through when flying via LA - at least you didn't when I went!)
Old Jun 19th 2007, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Yep! We're in Mexico right now on our way to Oz - next stop LA! Miami Immigration was OK, fingerprinted and photographed, but very quick, hopefully LA will be as quick.

I recommend always going via the USA to get the 46kg luggage allowance.

Buzzy
Hi Buzzy

We're thinking of heading via USA, New York, Las Vagas and possibly Hawaii. Who did you fly with, was looking for your old thread but couldn't find it. Looking into fares at the moment and the baggage allowance would be handy.

Thanks
Dolly
Old Jun 19th 2007, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

You're going to be best off looking for a RTW ticket - try www.roundtheworldflights.com - don't know if you can still get the extra baggage allowance on a RTW ticket, you'd have to enquire

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.