Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flying with a baby

Flying with a baby

Old Sep 5th 2003, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

Brummie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flying with a baby

We're off to Christchurch in October for a month and are taking our son who will be 4 months old. Has anyone got any tips/experience on long haul flights with babies, what we can do to make the flight as smooth as possible (other than leaving him at home!) and any pointers on what the airline can do - we're flying Air New Zealand?

We don't want to be the most hated people on the flight!!
Old Sep 5th 2003, 6:04 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Flying with a baby

Originally posted by Brummie
We're off to Christchurch in October for a month and are taking our son who will be 4 months old. Has anyone got any tips/experience on long haul flights with babies, what we can do to make the flight as smooth as possible (other than leaving him at home!) and any pointers on what the airline can do - we're flying Air New Zealand?

Reserve the baby cot (on the bulkhead) - reserve this when you book (all legs of the journey) and double check by phoning the airline.

Use a pacifier for baby on take-off and landing (ear pressure).

Take your own baby food.

Try to stagger your own (parent's) sleep periods so that one is normally a bit more awake / alert.

Take up kind offers from old dears sitting near you who will look after the baby for 15-20 mins each, often repeated.
Old Sep 5th 2003, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Reserve the baby cot (on the bulkhead) - reserve this when you book (all legs of the journey) and double check by phoning the airline.

Use a pacifier for baby on take-off and landing (ear pressure).

Take your own baby food.

Try to stagger your own (parent's) sleep periods so that one is normally a bit more awake / alert.

Take up kind offers from old dears sitting near you who will look after the baby for 15-20 mins each, often repeated.

Thanks Don, we have booked flights this afternoon and requested a bassanett (Sky cot), however as the buggy will be part of the luggage, do the airports provide buggies to push the baby around when we're waiting for the flights and connecting flights?
Old Sep 5th 2003, 6:22 pm
Don
Banned

Thanks Don, we have booked flights this afternoon and requested a bassanett (Sky cot), however as the buggy will be part of the luggage, do the airports provide buggies to push the baby around when we're waiting for the flights and connecting flights?
We were never much into prams, we have a huge one (rarely used but was good in our village in the winter as village only has dirt roads near us) but never had one of the simple pushchairs. (I have a kiddie rucksack whch is proving a good get fit tool as Little Don #2 is now pushing 10 kgs at 8 months!)

But I noticed a few wiser? people did indeed take a simple fold-up pushchair and saw it came in useful, it was stowed on board and given back to the parents on landing. We're sticking with the carry cot (also allowed on board) and last time managed by wedging it on an airport trolley with the carry on luggage.

Definitely NOT looking forward to certain baby related aspects of the trip!!!
Old Sep 5th 2003, 6:30 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Check with your airline, but generally speaking -
You should be able to keep the buggy until you actually board the flight. The gate staff then take it and put it in the hold as at the last minute. Many airlines will also let people with small children board first, and may let you wheel the buggy on, unload the baby, and then hand it over to the ground staff.
As for the connecting flights; when the plane lands they take the stuff loaded at the last minute out of the hold and give it back to you as you leave the plane - because it went on at the gate it has no labels on to allow it to be transferred to the next flight, so it virtually becomes hand luggage.
Hope this makes sense?
Old Sep 5th 2003, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

I took some information from off the internet that was very useful, but I can't remember where or the name of the site, but I do remember one bit of information that I thought was a pretty good idea for long haul flights.

Try and get a seat for one of the adults away from the children, even if it is only the other side of the eisle, so that the parents can swap every now and again, so that they can get a rest. BUT YOU MUST BE FAIR AND CHANGE SEATS EVERY NOW AND AGAIN!!!

Whisky
Old Sep 5th 2003, 9:04 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by whisky
I took some information from off the internet that was very useful, but I can't remember where or the name of the site, but I do remember one bit of information that I thought was a pretty good idea for long haul flights.

Try and get a seat for one of the adults away from the children, even if it is only the other side of the eisle, so that the parents can swap every now and again, so that they can get a rest. BUT YOU MUST BE FAIR AND CHANGE SEATS EVERY NOW AND AGAIN!!!

Whisky

I must Whisky don't know about a different part of the plane, if my 2 start (12 & 17) I'll be wishing I was flying with different airline:scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Sep 5th 2003, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Good idea.

When we eventually fly i will ask for seat away from Nige and kids as Nige and i live in sin i always get sat away from them.

Ahhhhhhhhhh peace. Dad get all the whinging.

Bliss

footie chick
Old Sep 5th 2003, 9:43 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by footie chick
Good idea.

When we eventually fly i will ask for seat away from Nige and kids as Nige and i live in sin i always get sat away from them.

Ahhhhhhhhhh peace. Dad get all the whinging.

Bliss

footie chick
You lucky so and so's
Old Sep 5th 2003, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

I know there is a bonus to not being married.

footie chick
Old Sep 5th 2003, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

Babies easier than toddlers, feed on take off and landing to help ears pop......

Pushchairs can be boarded last but don't get given back during stopovers unless collecting luggage and staying on

Our experience, even though they let you board first, wait til last and then board (otherwise you could wait or ages sitting around), motion of plane always helped ours sleep then walk him/her around (no one minds and you may get offers of help) to keep them happy.

also try to keep stress free, bubs feel it if you're stressed out

Above all don't worry about others on flight, just enjoy yours and good choice too

Old Sep 6th 2003, 4:19 am
Don
Banned

Originally posted by Swifts

Above all don't worry about others on flight, just enjoy yours
That's true and important. Your crying baby will probably get a few irritated looks. Bulkhead cots are also one row behind business section (heehee!) So a difficult hour of crying and discomfort will upset a few nobs!

Wear a very thick skin and don't feel embarrassed. There's nothing you can do except the usual (keep baby clean/ fed/ watered/ amused/ rested) and if baby has a screaming fit, what more can you do? hey - that's humanity and you're preserving the species.
Old Sep 6th 2003, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

Thanks all for the reassuring replies, I think this will be a huge learning curve for us and frankly I think it will be like dealing with the baby when we go out - you just deal with it, accept every bit of help and sod everyone else!!

Interestingly we heard from Air NZ this morning - they actually supply formula milk on board in ready prepared steralized bottles. Just hope they have enough supplies as my little un has a big appettite - 18lb at 10 weeks!
Old Sep 6th 2003, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
That's true and important. Your crying baby will probably get a few irritated looks. Bulkhead cots are also one row behind business section (heehee!) So a difficult hour of crying and discomfort will upset a few nobs!

Wear a very thick skin and don't feel embarrassed. There's nothing you can do except the usual (keep baby clean/ fed/ watered/ amused/ rested) and if baby has a screaming fit, what more can you do? hey - that's humanity and you're preserving the species.

don

i dont mind the crying baby bit because have been there and done it and looked sheepish but what i really object to and it always happens to me is that i get a child behind me who kicks my chair constantly and tries to pull himself up on the chair, scalping me in the process

no fun on a long flight and why do parents think you are a monster when you ask them politely to kindly tell them to stop,

am going armed with bucket loads of sweets and comics for our flight

arlene