Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

flying with Babies /Kidds

flying with Babies /Kidds

Old Apr 15th 2004, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

cordi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default flying with Babies /Kidds

Can anyone give me some advice on Flying with kidds .I will be booking for us to go to Adelaide in order to activate our Visas which we got today . Our children will be fine flying but I am worried about our Baby who is 14 months .She can go for £57 + fly tax 75 but gets no seat or I can pay for a child fare which I am tempted to do .
What do you all think .Will she just end up on everyones knee anyway .There are 6 of us in total so we an take it in turns to entertain her.
Can you pass on any tips please .
Cordi
Old Apr 15th 2004, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Pompey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: flying with Babies /Kidds

Originally posted by cordi
Can anyone give me some advice on Flying with kidds .I will be booking for us to go to Adelaide in order to activate our Visas which we got today . Our children will be fine flying but I am worried about our Baby who is 14 months .She can go for £57 + fly tax 75 but gets no seat or I can pay for a child fare which I am tempted to do .
What do you all think .Will she just end up on everyones knee anyway .There are 6 of us in total so we an take it in turns to entertain her.
Can you pass on any tips please .
Cordi
We fly to Perth next week and have a 5 month old. We have booked a basinette for her. Not sure if a 14 month old would be too big for one though
Old Apr 15th 2004, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

Sounds greta but what is one ?? a basinette? And if she would fit in ti how do you book it ?? and How much was it and who are you flying with ??
And where from ???? Think thats all
Old Apr 15th 2004, 2:50 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

We flew to California and had one of those basinette things, our boy was about 15 mths at the time and it was ideal for when he wanted a sleep. You get a little more leg room also because of where your seat is situated.
Old Apr 15th 2004, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

JoeBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

I flew to Florida last year and my kid was 1.5 - we got the seat at the front with the space and there was a pulldown shelf where they put a type of foldaway box/bed for her - it was a tight squeeze but she slept in it part of the way. The problem was that if there was any turbulence then we had to take her out and strap her to us on our seat which was a pain. If I had the dosh I would buy a seat next time and get one of the kiddie seats they supply (virgin do anyway). I would think going to australia would be a real test of your nerves with a baby this size (mines was anyway.. Always wanting to get loose and toddle about ) - Just need to grin and bear it if it gets a bit mad... Theres always heavy sedation
Old Apr 15th 2004, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Thats not a bad idea ,the heavy sedation.I think i will get a seat for her and keep checking here for other pearls of wizdom .Maybe I could see the quack about some baby quells !!
Thanks for the ideas so far
Cordi
Old Apr 15th 2004, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by cordi
Thats not a bad idea ,the heavy sedation.I think i will get a seat for her and keep checking here for other pearls of wizdom .Maybe I could see the quack about some baby quells !!
Thanks for the ideas so far
Cordi
Check this out. Just back with a 9mth old. Any more info needed, send me a PM.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=singapore+air
Old Apr 15th 2004, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice

We've done long haul many times with our young kid.

While the plan is going up, feed them with milk - this'll help the air presurisation problems. Same goes while on the way down.

You seem to have elected the infant fare - which I believe means you are meant to be holding your child. If you can reserve your seat quickly enough then the legendary front-row is the one to go for, as there is more room on the floor, and their is often a crib - but be quick these get snapped up a long time in advance, and in grim reality are not held back for parents with young kids. It is a free for all. Agents often say they'll put a note on the reservation system to get these seats, but I've never seen that translate into getting the thing - it just translates into agents getting more commission.

On previous occassions we've booked an extra seat for my child, as it allows then to lie down on the seat, while keeping the child seat belt on. The point will not be lost on you that this has cost implications.

Neil
Old Apr 15th 2004, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

Polly58 is an unknown quantity at this point

We flew to Perth in 2003 with our son of 20 months. We flew Singapore and booked the Basinette both ways, it was an absolute Godsend! Again it was a squeeze but he managed to sleep a solid 7 hours on the way back. Even when he wasn't sleeping he could sit up in there and eat sandwiches, play games etc. As mentioned it is a bit of a pain if there is turbulence - it's usually just after you've got them to sleep after 2 hours of trying - because you have to disturb them to hold them on your lap.
We bought lots of little presents for him and wrapped them up. Every time he seemd to be getting a bit fractious we produced one and managed to get at least another 1/2 hour of peace!
You do get much more leg room as well and there's a good chance that there could be another little one next to you, which is good if the child's happy but not so good if they're grumpy!
We've got a little girl of 15 months and we're hoping to go over for good in September. Somehow I don't think she'll be quite as easy to please!

Happy travelling!
Old Apr 16th 2004, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

How far in advance did you book your tickets and were you able to get the basinette with the special offer flights ??
Thanks for all the info and ideas the prezzies and bribes sound V .Good
Old Apr 16th 2004, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

Polly58 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Cordi

We booked about 5 months in advance but the flight wasn't a special offer just the usual cost. We won't be booking so far in advance this time, as soon as we get the go ahead we want to go, but we don't want to pre-book because there's nothing surer that it won't come in time!

Good luck.
Old Apr 16th 2004, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

crocoonimper is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Cordi
We have just returned from a 2 week visit to Oz with our 2 year old twins! We flew with Singapore airlines and bought them a seat each as they are too big for the bassinettes.One point to note is that the exit door seats where you get the legroom have immovable dividing arm rests - kids cant lie across the seats in other words - dont know if this just applies to SA.
We had seats right at the back which worked really well as the boys could run around by the back exit doors(more room) and not disturb too many people.
Having dreaded the flight for ages before It was not as bad as we thought - yes hard work as we could not really get any decent sleep but the boys were brilliant and pretty unfazed by the whole thing.
I would definately recommend this airline as the majority of the cabin crew were brilliant with the boys - Mat threw up 60 mins away from Sydney in the middle of the breakfast run and they had to change the whole seat! - wew were mortified but no daramas at all.
Hope all goes well for you
xx cath