British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   flying to aus while pregnant (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/flying-aus-while-pregnant-476512/)

moocow Aug 24th 2007 9:50 am

flying to aus while pregnant

I wish to fly to Australia when I am 7/8 months pregnant. spoke to Qantas and they said this is fine up until 36 weeks. do I need to take anything to document my pregnancy like a letter from my doctor. The guy at Qantas said I did not need anything as long as I was less than 36 weeks.

Sammy T Aug 24th 2007 11:29 am

Re: flying to aus while pregnant

Hi there

I would recommend you take your hand held ante natal notes, the ones you take to your check ups, so if you have probs whilst you are in Oz, the midwives/doctors can see how your pregnancy has progressed etc.
Also, are you planning on flying back or is this a one way trip as you need to make sure you are still within the airlines guidelines.
Another thing would be to have a check up just before you go to make sure you are up to date with everything and make sure your midwife/doctor is aware of your plans.
Make sure you move around plenty, do the recommended exerises, drink plenty of water etc as whilst you are pregnant you are more susceptible to Deep Vein Thrombosis.
Good luck:D

Sammy (Midwife, by the way)
Sammy

moocow Aug 24th 2007 11:32 am

this is a one way trip. no way am i giving birth in an NHS hospital in England.

Sammy T Aug 24th 2007 11:33 am

PS

flight socks would also be a good idea!

Now I do sound like a fussing midwife;)

Sammy

Australia_bound? Aug 24th 2007 11:35 am

Originally Posted by moocow (Post 5229492)
I wish to fly to Australia when I am 7/8 months pregnant. spoke to Qantas and they said this is fine up until 36 weeks. do I need to take anything to document my pregnancy like a letter from my doctor. The guy at Qantas said I did not need anything as long as I was less than 36 weeks.

Think you'd need to take medical advice before flying!

Sammy T Aug 24th 2007 11:41 am

Originally Posted by moocow (Post 5229770)
this is a one way trip. no way am i giving birth in an NHS hospital in England.

Don't know where you live but the small unit I work at is pretty darned good, even if I say so myself!
But I do know that things are not so good on some places around the UK.
If you are not returning, then definitely take your ante natal notes and scan results etc with you and get registered as soon as you arrive.
Wishing you luck with your Aussie 'bub'!
Sammy

movingtooz Aug 24th 2007 11:58 am

I have just done a return flight to Oz (only 5 months gone though) and Cathay Pacific wanted a letter from my doc to say I was ok to fly.

I would def recommend flight socks and walking around lots on the flight plus eating lots of fresh fruit/bran as my system is completely up the creek now from having sat down for so long.

Good luck!

Pollyana Aug 24th 2007 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by movingtooz (Post 5229875)
I have just done a return flight to Oz (only 5 months gone though) and Cathay Pacific wanted a letter from my doc to say I was ok to fly.

I would def recommend flight socks and walking around lots on the flight plus eating lots of fresh fruit/bran as my system is completely up the creek now from having sat down for so long.

Good luck!

I'm surprised at the 36 weeks, thought the limit was usually lower, more like 28, but I may be wrong. Just hope that the baby hangs on and doesn't turn up en route.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22302008-2,00.html

Sammy T Aug 24th 2007 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 5230691)
I'm surprised at the 36 weeks, thought the limit was usually lower, more like 28, but I may be wrong. Just hope that the baby hangs on and doesn't turn up en route.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22302008-2,00.html

Most airlines are happy for pregnant women to fly up to 35 or 36 weeks, they vary a little, multiple pregnancies are usually up to 28 weeks.
But it is advisable to discuss this with your doctor or midwife, and if there have been any problems would not be recommended.
There are associated health risks with long haul flights and these are increased if pregnant.
Sammy

Australia_bound? Aug 24th 2007 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by moocow (Post 5229492)

Have found a story on this in the paper today. 28 to 34 weeks you need a medical note to say you're fit to fly, over 34 weeks generally you won't get near a plane! You can be refused entry to a plane, even when you get as far as boarding the plane.
Don't know why you're being such a snob over NHS maternity facilities, why not go private if it's such an issue :confused:

chris and farideh Aug 25th 2007 2:21 am

Originally Posted by Australia_bound? (Post 5232509)
Have found a story on this in the paper today. 28 to 34 weeks you need a medical note to say you're fit to fly, over 34 weeks generally you won't get near a plane! You can be refused entry to a plane, even when you get as far as boarding the plane.
Don't know why you're being such a snob over NHS maternity facilities, why not go private if it's such an issue :confused:

A friend of mine was 32 weeks pregnant, when she phoned the air line they said to her no problem she can fly, she was flying to spain, when she tried to borad the plane they refuse entry.
They would not let her on the plane.

Wol Aug 25th 2007 4:52 am

Even the pilots can fly when they're around 32 weeks (the female ones, that is) so I can't see a problem with most airlines.

Pollyana Aug 25th 2007 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Wol (Post 5233043)
Even the pilots can fly when they're around 32 weeks (the female ones, that is) so I can't see a problem with most airlines.

What about the male ones though :p

black cat Aug 25th 2007 7:47 am

sorry to butt in , but apart from anything else if have you thought about how uncomfortable it will be to fly at 36 weeks, those seat ar'nt very big at the best of times!!! you'll struggle to put your tray table down!:lol:
All the best:thumbsup:

LauraC Aug 25th 2007 7:53 am

Pregancy and flying tips and info here

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/article...ring-pregnancy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/parenting/q_and...ingpreg2.shtml