Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

flying to aus while pregnant

flying to aus while pregnant

Old Aug 24th 2007, 9:50 am
Aussie in Hertfordshire

moocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant future
Default flying to aus while pregnant

I wish to fly to Australia when I am 7/8 months pregnant. spoke to Qantas and they said this is fine up until 36 weeks. do I need to take anything to document my pregnancy like a letter from my doctor. The guy at Qantas said I did not need anything as long as I was less than 36 weeks.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: flying to aus while pregnant

Hi there

I would recommend you take your hand held ante natal notes, the ones you take to your check ups, so if you have probs whilst you are in Oz, the midwives/doctors can see how your pregnancy has progressed etc.
Also, are you planning on flying back or is this a one way trip as you need to make sure you are still within the airlines guidelines.
Another thing would be to have a check up just before you go to make sure you are up to date with everything and make sure your midwife/doctor is aware of your plans.
Make sure you move around plenty, do the recommended exerises, drink plenty of water etc as whilst you are pregnant you are more susceptible to Deep Vein Thrombosis.
Good luck

Sammy (Midwife, by the way)
Sammy
Old Aug 24th 2007, 11:32 am
Aussie in Hertfordshire

moocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant future

this is a one way trip. no way am i giving birth in an NHS hospital in England.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

PS

flight socks would also be a good idea!

Now I do sound like a fussing midwife

Sammy
Old Aug 24th 2007, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moocow
I wish to fly to Australia when I am 7/8 months pregnant. spoke to Qantas and they said this is fine up until 36 weeks. do I need to take anything to document my pregnancy like a letter from my doctor. The guy at Qantas said I did not need anything as long as I was less than 36 weeks.
Think you'd need to take medical advice before flying!
Old Aug 24th 2007, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

this is a one way trip. no way am i giving birth in an NHS hospital in England.
Don't know where you live but the small unit I work at is pretty darned good, even if I say so myself!
But I do know that things are not so good on some places around the UK.
If you are not returning, then definitely take your ante natal notes and scan results etc with you and get registered as soon as you arrive.
Wishing you luck with your Aussie 'bub'!
Sammy
Old Aug 24th 2007, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

movingtooz is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just done a return flight to Oz (only 5 months gone though) and Cathay Pacific wanted a letter from my doc to say I was ok to fly.

I would def recommend flight socks and walking around lots on the flight plus eating lots of fresh fruit/bran as my system is completely up the creek now from having sat down for so long.

Good luck!
Old Aug 24th 2007, 3:28 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movingtooz
I have just done a return flight to Oz (only 5 months gone though) and Cathay Pacific wanted a letter from my doc to say I was ok to fly.

I would def recommend flight socks and walking around lots on the flight plus eating lots of fresh fruit/bran as my system is completely up the creek now from having sat down for so long.

Good luck!
I'm surprised at the 36 weeks, thought the limit was usually lower, more like 28, but I may be wrong. Just hope that the baby hangs on and doesn't turn up en route.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22302008-2,00.html
Old Aug 24th 2007, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I'm surprised at the 36 weeks, thought the limit was usually lower, more like 28, but I may be wrong. Just hope that the baby hangs on and doesn't turn up en route.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22302008-2,00.html
Most airlines are happy for pregnant women to fly up to 35 or 36 weeks, they vary a little, multiple pregnancies are usually up to 28 weeks.
But it is advisable to discuss this with your doctor or midwife, and if there have been any problems would not be recommended.
There are associated health risks with long haul flights and these are increased if pregnant.
Sammy
Old Aug 24th 2007, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Have found a story on this in the paper today. 28 to 34 weeks you need a medical note to say you're fit to fly, over 34 weeks generally you won't get near a plane! You can be refused entry to a plane, even when you get as far as boarding the plane.
Don't know why you're being such a snob over NHS maternity facilities, why not go private if it's such an issue
Old Aug 25th 2007, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Have found a story on this in the paper today. 28 to 34 weeks you need a medical note to say you're fit to fly, over 34 weeks generally you won't get near a plane! You can be refused entry to a plane, even when you get as far as boarding the plane.
Don't know why you're being such a snob over NHS maternity facilities, why not go private if it's such an issue
A friend of mine was 32 weeks pregnant, when she phoned the air line they said to her no problem she can fly, she was flying to spain, when she tried to borad the plane they refuse entry.
They would not let her on the plane.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 4:52 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Even the pilots can fly when they're around 32 weeks (the female ones, that is) so I can't see a problem with most airlines.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 7:44 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Even the pilots can fly when they're around 32 weeks (the female ones, that is) so I can't see a problem with most airlines.
What about the male ones though
Old Aug 25th 2007, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

black cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to all

sorry to butt in , but apart from anything else if have you thought about how uncomfortable it will be to fly at 36 weeks, those seat ar'nt very big at the best of times!!! you'll struggle to put your tray table down!
All the best
Old Aug 25th 2007, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really nice

Pregancy and flying tips and info here

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/article...ring-pregnancy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/parenting/q_and...ingpreg2.shtml

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.