flying advice

Old Oct 6th 2006, 4:32 pm
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute
Default flying advice

hi all

some of you may remember i thought i broke my ankle a couple of months ago

right! it is still very painful and swells from time to time

i would like to know will the flight effect it in anyway

we dont fly for another 4 weeks but im worried

i have been to the doctors and asked but they just say oh it will be fine by then but i dont think it will be

to be honest it isnt much better now just the bruising has gone i feel it will go again at anytime

i just thought someone on here may have had an injury when they have flown and could tell me how the flight affected it

thanks in advance

jan xx
Old Oct 6th 2006, 4:42 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: flying advice

Originally Posted by robos
hi all

i have been to the doctors and asked but they just say oh it will be fine by then but i dont think it will be

to be honest it isnt much better now just the bruising has gone i feel it will go again at anytime

i just thought someone on here may have had an injury when they have flown and could tell me how the flight affected it

thanks in advance

jan xx
OH flew 2 weeks after cracking a bone in his foot and it was a bit uncomfortable but nothing major. Son flew back from Ibiza with a broken kneecap but was in cast at the time and had to have 3 seats to keep it elevated. Get yourself some cream with 'Arnica' in it as this will help with the swelling. C x
Old Oct 6th 2006, 4:47 pm
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiels
OH flew 2 weeks after cracking a bone in his foot and it was a bit uncomfortable but nothing major. Son flew back from Ibiza with a broken kneecap but was in cast at the time and had to have 3 seats to keep it elevated. Get yourself some cream with 'Arnica' in it as this will help with the swelling. C x
thanks for that

put my mind at rest

jan xx
Old Oct 6th 2006, 5:50 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

There is a bit of a difference between flying to Ibiza and flying to Australia.

Ankle swelling will not happen on a short haul flight but will on long haul.

Are you still in plaster? that makes a big difference.

G
Old Oct 6th 2006, 6:29 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
There is a bit of a difference between flying to Ibiza and flying to Australia.

Ankle swelling will not happen on a short haul flight but will on long haul.

Are you still in plaster? that makes a big difference.

G
OH flew to Aus....... It was my son who flew from Ibiza..... Maybe my post was'nt clear?!!
Old Oct 6th 2006, 6:35 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiels
OH flew to Aus....... It was my son who flew from Ibiza..... Maybe my post was'nt clear?!!
I mixed that bit up

However there is a big difference between a broken ankle and a broken bone in the foot especially if it still swells.

To the OP:

I would contact the airline....they may not want you to fly.

I would also contact a travel health clinic and see what advice they give.

Otherwise just do it.....but you would not be asking on here if you were happy with that.

You have to take someone's advice at some point but I really do not think anyone on a message board is qualified to say.

G
Old Oct 6th 2006, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

Nikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud of

hi all

thanks in advance

jan xx
Hiya

I broke my ankle just before christmas and it was healed mid February - flew to Oz mid april and I was fine. I was a wee bit worried as well knowing how your ankles can swell normally but just wore my support stockings - took some painkillers with me in case it got painful and didnt have any problems. I was actually more worried about the killer toothache I had for the 3 weeks prior to flying but thankfully this was sorted out and was also fine!!!

Hope this helps.

Nikki
Old Oct 6th 2006, 7:26 pm
one day rodders !!!

Originally Posted by Nikki.P
Hiya

I broke my ankle just before christmas and it was healed mid February - flew to Oz mid april and I was fine. I was a wee bit worried as well knowing how your ankles can swell normally but just wore my support stockings - took some painkillers with me in case it got painful and didnt have any problems. I was actually more worried about the killer toothache I had for the 3 weeks prior to flying but thankfully this was sorted out and was also fine!!!

Hope this helps.

Nikki
thank you all for the advice

i will be more relaxed

but i will still go back before i go just to get any last minute advice

and i will wear my stockings

thanks again

jan xx
Old Oct 6th 2006, 9:17 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

thank you all for the advice

i will be more relaxed

but i will still go back before i go just to get any last minute advice

and i will wear my stockings

thanks again

jan xx
Make sure the airline know as they may be able to arrange stuff like transport to the gate - remember how much walking there is involved! Special Assistance is available for the elderly who can't walk well, and theres no reason why you shouldn't ask for it with a problem like this.
Old Oct 7th 2006, 6:09 pm
one day rodders !!!

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Make sure the airline know as they may be able to arrange stuff like transport to the gate - remember how much walking there is involved! Special Assistance is available for the elderly who can't walk well, and theres no reason why you shouldn't ask for it with a problem like this.
never thought of that

thanks

jan xx
Old Oct 7th 2006, 6:46 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I flew long haul with a broken leg (unknown at the time) and an unstable ankle, and yes it did hurt a bit.

A year on, my ankle still swells up where the ligament has snapped and even on a short 4 hour flight to Cyprus, it was aching.

My advice to you, which worked for me but I appreciate might not for you, is to wear a firm support on your ankle and one that goes up to the knee (tubigrip perhaps).

Wear slip on shoes on the flight that allow for the possible swelling in your ankle and if space allows, elevate it.

Finally, if you are able to take it medically, use Ibuprofen - an excellent Anti-inflammatory, also it comes in gel form so you can rub it locally on your ankle.

Make use of airport assistance to avoid putting unnecessary pressure and stress on it.

But do get medical advice first and if you do book airport assistance, do it well in advance and get a 'fit to fly' note from your doctor.

The airline are cautious for your health and may well want reassurance from a medic you will be OK to fly, and providing the doctor says you are, there shouldn't be a problem.

As I said, flying from Thailand was uncomfortable, but with pain relief, not too bad - and mine was a fresh break.

Good luck.
Old Oct 7th 2006, 7:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

hi all

thanks in advance

jan xx
Jan

Hmmmm I'm getting the impression that your relationship with your Dr is not fab?

My biggest concern for you relates to your risk of a DVT due to immobility. (I'm not sure of the impact of a recent fracture - but I believe that your inflammatory markers in your blood are likely to be increased, making your blood "a tiny bit thicker than usual" and therefore a little more at risk of DVT.) The main problem with DVTs is that tiny bits of the clot can break off, and go whizzing thru your circulation to your lungs, where they can cause a blockage. The following should help protect you from this.

1. Take 75mg aspirin once a day for 7 days prior to flying (only if you are not asthmatic and also don't have known stomach ulcers). (I'm assuming that you are not on any other tablets)

2. Walk around the plane as much as possible. Walk to and from the plane.

3. Wear ANKLE to THIGH ie full length, properly-fitted stockings.

(Have u had any physio for your ankle - u should be getting it back into "full swing"....can u stand on one foot yet? and on uneven surfaces such as a crumpled bath mat?)

PM me if you wish

Ozzidoc
(4th yr med student....ie not qualified, but have more of a clue than I used to!)
Old Oct 7th 2006, 7:38 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Jan

Hmmmm I'm getting the impression that your relationship with your Dr is not fab?

My biggest concern for you relates to your risk of a DVT due to immobility. (I'm not sure of the impact of a recent fracture - but I believe that your inflammatory markers in your blood are likely to be increased, making your blood "a tiny bit thicker than usual" and therefore a little more at risk of DVT.) The main problem with DVTs is that tiny bits of the clot can break off, and go whizzing thru your circulation to your lungs, where they can cause a blockage. The following should help protect you from this.

1. Take 75mg aspirin once a day for 7 days prior to flying (only if you are not asthmatic and also don't have known stomach ulcers). (I'm assuming that you are not on any other tablets)

(Have u had any physio for your ankle - u should be getting it back into "full swing"....can u stand on one foot yet? and on uneven surfaces such as a crumpled bath mat?)

PM me if you wish

Ozzidoc
(4th yr med student....ie not qualified, but have more of a clue than I used to!)

Do you still use knickers for bandages?
Old Oct 8th 2006, 5:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Do you still use knickers for bandages?
Yep......and will keep doing so until the next BE holiday!
Old Oct 8th 2006, 5:51 pm
one day rodders !!!

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Jan

PM me if you wish

Ozzidoc

hi ozzidoc

thanks for your expert advice i will take it on board and in answer to your question about physio no i havent seen or recieved any cant stand on one foot and cant on uneven surfaces

do you think i should go back to the doc and try to get some physio or some more advice the last 3 times i have been though he just palms me off with another course of anti inflamatries i am now on my 3rd course

thanks
jan xx

thanks pp

for your advice

that is what i was worried about (the pain)

a few years ago i hurt my knee in tenerife and on the flight home it really really hurt me

thanks

jan xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.