Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fly in Fly out work

Fly in Fly out work

Old Oct 26th 2011, 1:23 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fly in Fly out work

My Husband has just got back from a final interview for FIFO work in the mines in Queensland and it all seems rather positive

It's going to be a short term thing 2, maybe 3 years tops so we can catch up with money, finish our house renovations and get retirement back on track.

I was wondering if anyone has experience of this arrangement. I am particularly interested in how it affected your relationship with your Partner and the Parenting of your children.....We have been apart for weeks at a time before, and the period after returning is always tricky

I can't help thinking we are getting our priorities wrong, and should maybe cut our cloth accordingly? Although my Husbands job is good, it involves a big commute and he is doing it 24/7 receiving calls throughout the day and night.....with FIFO we would infact see more of him.....

Any advice/thoughts greatfully received (I think )

Jan
Old Oct 26th 2011, 2:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly in Fly out work

Originally Posted by Jan4kids
My Husband has just got back from a final interview for FIFO work in the mines in Queensland and it all seems rather positive

It's going to be a short term thing 2, maybe 3 years tops so we can catch up with money, finish our house renovations and get retirement back on track.

I was wondering if anyone has experience of this arrangement. I am particularly interested in how it affected your relationship with your Partner and the Parenting of your children.....We have been apart for weeks at a time before, and the period after returning is always tricky

I can't help thinking we are getting our priorities wrong, and should maybe cut our cloth accordingly? Although my Husbands job is good, it involves a big commute and he is doing it 24/7 receiving calls throughout the day and night.....with FIFO we would infact see more of him.....

Jan
Depends if you like to cope alone, how close you are, how old the kids are.

My partners worked away a lot, I love it bloody peace and quiet, other women feel they need the man to help with babies, discipline teens whatever, help with the house etc.

Added problem for us immigrants is probably your not only coping without husband, your coping without extended family as well.

As big a factor is will he cope out there?. I think many understimate the conditions/climate etc.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Depends if you like to cope alone, how close you are, how old the kids are.

My partners worked away a lot, I love it bloody peace and quiet, other women feel they need the man to help with babies, discipline teens whatever, help with the house etc.

Added problem for us immigrants is probably your not only coping without husband, your coping without extended family as well.

As big a factor is will he cope out there?. I think many understimate the conditions/climate etc.
I have a sister-in-law whose hubby is FIFO and has been for 10+ years and they love it. That said, they don't have any kids, so that's not an issue.

We're doing a mini version of it right now. Hubby works in the more local mines around here (Worsley, Collie) and has been for a year. He stays in camp during the week and is home on weekends.

Yes, the extra salary is great for getting ahead, saving, etc. but it also takes a heavy family toll. Only seeing him on weekends is tough. I have young kids (7 and 3.5) and the bulk of discipline, daily tasks, evening grind is all mine. Yay. The isolation thing is difficult too. If you're more established and have a good support network and friends, then it won't be so bad. My sister-in-law is 30 minutes away and we're not super close, so no warm fuzzies there. And I didn't have any good friends last year I could turn to when I was bored, lonely, at my wits' end. Now I do, so that makes a big difference.

Relationship-wise, they will change to some extent. How could they not? The kids respond to it too. I find they act up more on Friday afternoons when he gets home, like they're crazy vying for his attention and will do anything to get it.

His work has been trying to get him to the northern mines on FIFO for a while and he's been reluctant. In our mind, yes, it would be better to have him home for more days straight and we'd likely see more of him but it's logistically more difficult to get home if we need him here. I'm not talking about medical emergency (which I'm sure his work would accommodate) but just those "I've had it! I can't take it anymore!" days. Just being two hours' drive away, he can drive home if we really need him (for non-medical reasons). With FIFO, that just won't happen.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I'm interested in hearing what others doing the FIFO thing say.

Last edited by Japonica; Oct 26th 2011 at 3:01 am.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 3:05 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan4kids

Jan
Some families cope, many don't. A big issue for many families is that they get into a routine that works without Daddy. When he gets home, the routine is disrupted and this causes a lot of problems.

I guess you won't know if it will work until you try it.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I could and have been office based monday to friday with the same company i am with now where i fifo. I requested a role change to fifo because it is a much better lifestyle for me and my wife. In Oz, most people these days do 8:6 which is effectivly week on week off. The great thing is that you have a lot more quality time together. Worst case is that he will do 2:1 which is still not a bad roster. A LOT better than i do now of 6 weeks on 2 weeks off. But thats my choice.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

wanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant future

Hi, I am trying to get a start in the mines here in WA as a Truck driver. I have my HR licence and my white card but all the companies are after experienced people?? How can I get experience if no one is employing Trainees??? It seems a bit short sighted of the mining companies
Any advice would be great

Thanks.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

saff has a brilliant futuresaff has a brilliant futuresaff has a brilliant futuresaff has a brilliant futuresaff has a brilliant futuresaff has a brilliant future

I'm FIFO at the moment.. personally I think it depends on the people. there are pros and cons.

on the plus side, having a girlfriend/kids to go back to is a real motivator. gives you something to look forwards to and make the stint go quicker. The hardest thing for me is that it drones on, haed back knowing that most of my mates will be at work and if I'm lucky enough to meet another lady I'll be headed off a week later!

but knowing I've got mates and planning stuff with them when I'm back really keeps me going. if things had worked out with the misses, It'd fly by.

I couldnt keep my (v short) relationship going whilst up here but I reckon that's because it was like I say, v new.. with an established relationship it shouldnt be as big a deal.. it wont be easy, but you dont have to worry about the same things you would if you'd only recently met someone if that makes sense..

Most of the guys here are older than me and are settled with wives and kids and they seem to manage.. however in my short term at site ( now 2/3 months) I've seen many people drop out as it was taking its toll on the family..

my advise is give it a try, but regardless of the money be open and receptive enuogh to notice when the warning signs are there to show that its taking its toll. you won't know till you know at the end of the day!

I'm doing it long enough to get some cash in the bank, then headed back to the city unless it gets a bit easier / more enjoyable..
Old Oct 26th 2011, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

saff has a brilliant futuresaff has a brilliant futuresaff has a brilliant futuresaff has a brilliant futuresaff has a brilliant futuresaff has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by wanttobedownunder
Hi, I am trying to get a start in the mines here in WA as a Truck driver. I have my HR licence and my white card but all the companies are after experienced people?? How can I get experience if no one is employing Trainees??? It seems a bit short sighted of the mining companies
Any advice would be great

Thanks.
it seems you stand a much better chance if you go at it as a trades assistant etc. most of the guys on site can drive trucks and busses as well, so there isnt as much of a need for dedicated truckers without experience..

Id head up as labour/trades assistant personally, whilst being qualified to drive.. the more tickets you have for plant, trucks, busses etc the better, get your experience, and then you get a bit of exp
Old Oct 26th 2011, 7:05 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

It is an important point to note that each partner needs to work on the relationship.

I've seen dear John letters from both sides.(old and young)
Old Oct 26th 2011, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

I think you never know until you try. If you are already apart a lot or working all the time, perhaps it will be a relief when its more structured.

My OH works away a lot, its not good for us. But its been like that for years and we have a routine:
3 days before he goes - all is good, I feel sad hes leaving
1 days ebfore he goes - I cant wait to get rid of him and walk around muttering about divorce to myself and he is just black/moody/critical.
Away - I like the space, we get on well but the twice a day call is about all we can manage - any more and it gets a bit strange.
day he comes home, I hate, I look forward to seeing him but liken him to a dog that needs to pee in all his spots to mark his territory. He has different rules with the kids, is generally tired and grumpy and in my space.
Day 3 - I never want him to leave again and its all good.

and so it goes on. At the moment its all very irregular - and I think FIFO would be far better for us. so its routine rather than long long periods, short periods etc.

I have been looking into the mines and he has a contract for 4 months in a non mining position but is getting all the S11 and medicals etc. It seems really hard though to get in - so many green applicants. I never seem to see any positions advertised and have spoken to most big companies. This contract is with Anglo American but is subcontract work doing a rebrand. He wants to be a trade-assistant / or work on something structural not driving etc. Everyone says the money is great but it seems like its 30-45 an hour - including super. But with FIFO if you only get paid your days on then that brings it down a lot - how does it work?