Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fluffy Koalas and all that Jazz

Fluffy Koalas and all that Jazz

Old Mar 17th 2003, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Havn't seen Chicago yet its only just released here.

Why we are on the Sunny Coast. Business was in Brisbane but we basically expanded up here, then things got big here and we had to Move up for a while as Driving the 3 hours a day return on a two lane highway was driving us nuts. Work is not on a plate here, I think a lot of people move to where there is work. Strangely for us it just happened to be in an area where unemployment is 26%, so I could not have predicted that. It was a lucky move tho, we sold up in Brisvegas, which had boomed property wise, and bought some old beach shacks up here seeing that they had to go up. Despite people thinking we dont have a life here, we do actually have our fair share of intelligence. Like many here, we are waiting to see if the dollar goes up so we can return to UK when their housing market has cooled a little. I know many think you can just turn around and fly back, but life has little realities, like money, kids education, business commitments etc that do not in real life allow you to flit from one country to another every 5 minutes. Plus when we go back we can safely say we gave it a really good go and succeeded. I never wanted to become one of the lost souls that fly back and forwards from Aus to Uk never knowing where they want to be.
Old Mar 17th 2003, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

joebloggs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fluffy Koalas and all that Jazz

OZ gosh these kids are fat in the UK, thats because they are the playstation nation nothing else to do after homework when it's dark at 3 pm in winter

You think Ozzie kids aren't a little chunky too? REALLY??? My god have you ever been there? Not that there aren't lots of little fatties running around back in UK, but really....its not a joke that the second most obese nation on earth is Australia (behind US)
Old Mar 17th 2003, 7:32 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Originally posted by cresta57
Dotty,
I accept your views in the main and unlike some I do value both your and P,S's opinions even P.B's as well, some, however, I find are wildly inaccurate/exaggerated. I see from your posts you miss the shopping, museums, galleries, theatre and nightlife. It begs the question why move so far to the north of Queensland in the first place? Surely you must have known there would be none of that? What made you choose to live in such isolation when you’re obviously a person who craves culture and intellectual stimulation? Is it that your hubby is local to the area? As for the heat and humidity you must have known what it would be like, so again, why?
I've been to the area myself; my folks are building not to far away and aside from the beach/surfing and fishing there is really very little to do. Their passion is sailing so they are content with a nice home close to their boat. They are retired so they fit in with your stereotype of larger house buyers. Myself, I've never experienced theatre, opera, the ballet etc. as it's "not my cup of tea". I choose to fish, sail, and dive, windsurf and cycle; though the weather is so prohibitive in UK most of these are limited to the summer months. Windsurfing in the Humber Estuary in March is for people made of stronger stuff than I nowadays.
We are going because we are outdoor people and like a simple uncomplicated [yes boring] life. I don't crave the things you miss so much and I appreciate some of the things you dislike. I found the Sunshine Plaza far better than Freshney Place our local shopping centre, but then the only time I went to London shopping I loathed every minute of it. This leads me to a point I think P,S made re people who are negative wanting a little more depth from life. It seems to me that if you’re a professional person who left the U.K to escape the rat race then migration's going to be a disappointment to you, lacking in entertainment more suited to your needs. Those of us who have manual trades expect less in the way of laid on entertainment and consequentially are happier to make our own. I chose to leave school at 16 and work as a brickie because the thought of sitting festering in an office/factory all day was abhorrent to me. Friends and family tried their best to dissuade me and said I would be wasting my life and my education but I stuck with it. I meet people from all walks of life daily and the question most often asked is why do you do what you do? My answer is because I enjoy my job and I enjoy meeting different people and I adore that simple uncomplicated life. At 5pm I down tools and go home stress free if that makes me shallow tough! I can put my hand on heart and say I'm happy doing the job I do, what price does one place on that kind of happiness? I to ran a successful business for a time but found the stress of chasing debts continuously more trouble than it was worth. As a self employed subcontractor I get the best of both worlds.
I've said previously migrating to Australia gives me the opportunity to have little or no mortgage, earn a little more than I do at present in the U.K plus I get to spend some quality time with my children and my parents doing things we enjoy as a family. I'm not a dreamer nor do I think that it's fair to brand potential migrants losers for doing something you've done yourselves. I have given careful thought and consideration to the whole process and I go knowing full well it's not Utopia and that for a time we may struggle acclimatizing, hopefully we will be able to support one another as a family unit.
Sean.
P.S I should have replied on the other thread but this had the best header I've seen for ages
HEAR HEAR says it all
Old Mar 17th 2003, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

Inked is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dotty
Originally posted by pommiesheila
Dotty,

[snip]

I have noticed that of late. All the negative posters, seem to have high education, or amibition. Own business seems a common thread, and that requires guts, ambition, and dedication. Lying staring at a beach just does not cut it.

[snip]
I have a degree, high ambition and my own Ltd. company, so far in my 42 years I think I have done just fine but this is basically because I don’t sit and moan about everything, If something isn’t good for me I sort it and / or move on. I really don’t understand how the 'Negatives' on this News group can spend so much time being negative and don’t just get out there and do something about it. You keep banging on about art and culture - well move, start by moving to a better city, Sydney and Melbourne both have plenty going for them, if that doesn’t work, move yourself to Europe. Do whatever it takes but please don’t tar me with the same brush as yourself, just because I am educated – not all educated folk are arrogant and pompous – some of us can actually talk and get along with folk too!!
Old Mar 17th 2003, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Shikse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Inked
I have a degree, high ambition and my own Ltd. company, so far in my 42 years I think I have done just fine but this is basically because I don’t sit and moan about everything, If something isn’t good for me I sort it and / or move on. I really don’t understand how the 'Negatives' on this News group can spend so much time being negative and don’t just get out there and do something about it. You keep banging on about art and culture - well move, start by moving to a better city, Sydney and Melbourne both have plenty going for them, if that doesn’t work, move yourself to Europe. Do whatever it takes but please don’t tar me with the same brush as yourself, just because I am educated – not all educated folk are arrogant and pompous – some of us can actually talk and get along with folk too!!
Christ - you're in Australia and actually like it?!! I was starting to wonder...........
Old Mar 17th 2003, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

Please change the record Dotty.

You are self-hypnotising yourself ito a state of total unhappiness and boring the pants off of everyone else. I'm getting worried about your mental health, I think you should see a doctor and get some Prozac or something, seriously....

BTW - how does your other half put up with your constant whinging? Surely, you must be putting a strain on your marriage/relationship, as you are obviously SO miserable.

Maybe that's what you need - more sex? Perhaps with PB? He seems to have loads in common with you, perhaps you can both get off on your mutual winging?
Old Mar 17th 2003, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by dotty
Plus when we go back we can safely say we gave it a really good go and succeeded. I never wanted to become one of the lost souls that fly back and forwards from Aus to Uk never knowing where they want to be.
Dotty - Where, how, have you suceeded??? Are you crazy?? Monetry wise - yes. Happiness - no. That's not 'succeeding' in my books
Old Mar 17th 2003, 9:43 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Havn't seen Chicago yet its only just released here.

Why we are on the Sunny Coast. Business was in Brisbane but we basically expanded up here, then things got big here and we had to Move up for a while as Driving the 3 hours a day return on a two lane highway was driving us nuts. Work is not on a plate here, I think a lot of people move to where there is work. Strangely for us it just happened to be in an area where unemployment is 26%, so I could not have predicted that. It was a lucky move tho, we sold up in Brisvegas, which had boomed property wise, and bought some old beach shacks up here seeing that they had to go up. Despite people thinking we dont have a life here, we do actually have our fair share of intelligence. Like many here, we are waiting to see if the dollar goes up so we can return to UK when their housing market has cooled a little. I know many think you can just turn around and fly back, but life has little realities, like money, kids education, business commitments etc that do not in real life allow you to flit from one country to another every 5 minutes. Plus when we go back we can safely say we gave it a really good go and succeeded. I never wanted to become one of the lost souls that fly back and forwards from Aus to Uk never knowing where they want to be.
Dotty,
When you gave your basic expenses [in a previous thread] was the cost of the commuting back and forth on the three hour trips included? also if I can pick your brains further, did it include any finance on the three vehicles or just the fuel, insurance and any licensing fees incurred? I ask as we'll probably be a three car family our daughter is 17 and training as a hairdresser and would like to continue her studies at the college in Bundaberg so she'll need transport as its a good drive from our intended location.
Sean
Apologies for addressing you directly again on a thread but others may benefit from your views, they wouldn't in a P.M
Old Mar 18th 2003, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by cresta57
Dotty,
When you gave your basic expenses [in a previous thread] was the cost of the commuting back and forth on the three hour trips included? also if I can pick your brains further, did it include any finance on the three vehicles or just the fuel, insurance and any licensing fees incurred? I ask as we'll probably be a three car family our daughter is 17 and training as a hairdresser and would like to continue her studies at the college in Bundaberg so she'll need transport as its a good drive from our intended location.
Sean
Apologies for addressing you directly again on a thread but others may benefit from your views, they wouldn't in a P.M

The costs I gave do not include fincance on anything, we dont have any. The petrol would have only included one person going Brisbane/Sun Coast three times a week.

Bundaberg is about 4 hours drive from Brisbane, but accom is very cheap there, you daughter could probably find a flat share for $60.00 a week plus food etc.

Three car families quite common here, next door neighbours have four due to 2 teenage sons. Good luck with it all.
Old Mar 18th 2003, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Shikse

You are self-hypnotising yourself ito a state of total unhappiness and boring the pants off of everyone else. I'm getting worried about your mental health, I think you should see a doctor and get some Prozac or something, seriously....

BTW - how does your other half put up with your constant whinging? Surely, you must be putting a strain on your marriage/relationship, as you are obviously SO miserable.

Maybe that's what you need - more sex? Perhaps with PB? He seems to have loads in common with you, perhaps you can both get off on your mutual winging?

Shikse, somebody else actually noticed here how your behaviour is almost stalker like. You constantly rave on about drug habits, prozac etc, sorry to inform you asprin is probably my biggest vice.

Sex, I am sure if you want to fantasise about people's sex lives there are far more suitable websites you could indulge yourself in.

You have never been to OZ, so perhaps you should come back and comment further when you have.
Old Mar 18th 2003, 3:07 am
Release the hounds!

AndrewR is an unknown quantity at this point

Shikse....I have to say it....get over yourself. As you said yourself...please change the record.
Old Mar 18th 2003, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future

Originally posted by AndrewR
Shikse....I have to say it....get over yourself. As you said yourself...please change the record.
Here, here. By the way, I thought it was Shite-ski - perhaps that`s "its" problem - keeps slipping up on "its" own excrement...
Old Mar 18th 2003, 7:54 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pommiesheila
Here, here. By the way, I thought it was Shite-ski - perhaps that`s "its" problem - keeps slipping up on "its" own excrement...
Feeding time is over.

Remember: Don't feed the Trolls
Old Mar 18th 2003, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

joebloggs is an unknown quantity at this point

Remember....don't feed the trolls. Its what they want.
Old Mar 19th 2003, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

Shikse, somebody else actually noticed here how your behaviour is almost stalker like. You constantly rave on about drug habits, prozac etc, sorry to inform you asprin is probably my biggest vice.

Sex, I am sure if you want to fantasise about people's sex lives there are far more suitable websites you could indulge yourself in.

You have never been to OZ, so perhaps you should come back and comment further when you have.
Excuse me, you are the person who has a 'stalker like' obsession with how 'crap' Australia is. Again and again, I've read your posts, never positive, even if posittive on the surface, always with an undercurrent of negatives. So what, if you can't handle my posts, I'm made of tougher stuff than you, obviously, it bothers you, whereas, I couldn't give a monkeys. Do you think you can hog this forum, as your own, and everybody has to agree and back down on your views -fraid not Dotty.

BTW - of course I've been to Australia, 18 months working on the SFE (Sydney Futures Exchange) in the 90's and 6 months in Perth in 2000, to see if I could live there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.