Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fluffy Koalas and all that Jazz

Fluffy Koalas and all that Jazz

Old Mar 16th 2003, 4:57 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Fluffy Koalas and all that Jazz

Some people here just cant get why people have such different ideas of OZ. Try these items from 2 perspectives.

In the UK: The weather over there looks just like my last 2 weeks in Benidorm.
Once in Oz. Hell I have to work/shop/study/sleep in that bloody heat again.

UK: Gosh its so cheap over there.
OZ: Oh dear the wages are that cheap too.

UK: Wow wot a big house.
OZ: Do I have to Mow, vaccy, mop that again!

UK: Petrol is so cheap there.
OZ. Couldn't somebody have told me I'd drive 3 times as far.

UK: Its only 24 hours away.
OZ: How the hell are we going to raise that sort of money for a holiday.

UK: I love the beach, I adore BBQ'S.
OZ: I would kill to see a decent shop, museum, theatre, gallery......

UK: The kids will love the fresh air and sunshine.
OZ. Mum, I hate sunblock and hats, wheres the playstation.

UK: We wont miss the family theres always the phone.
OZ: Try hugging nanny down a phone cable.

UK: Been to Paris been there done that.
OZ: Wagga again, how nice.

UK: We wont miss the crime.
OZ: Where did my car go.
Old Mar 16th 2003, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

scoobydooathome is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fluffy Koalas and all that Jazz

Originally posted by dotty
Some people here just cant get why people have such different ideas of OZ. Try these items from 2 perspectives.

Hmmmmm,

OZ gosh it's so expensive there,
UK er not everyone earns 40.000 grand per year P.B., actually I know nobody who earns that, plenty of people think they do though and it all ends in tears when they realises they can't afford their financed lifestyle he he he ...

OZ Wow what small houses you pommies live in, you'll miss the big houses when you return to the UK and live in a shoe box costing 3200.00 rubber dollars a month plus council tax at 1300 pounds a year ...
(we dont have a 3200 $ bond on our house thank god)

UK house work, well what new there, that what you quote above is what we do all the time, just because you live in England don't think there's no chores to do ... mind you with us all earning 40k p.a. we just get our slaves to do the work,

OZ Oh my go petrol is expensive and we spend all our time in waiting traffic, these guys wishing to come back are in cook coo land, dont knock what you have got in OZ you'll miss it when it's gone,

OZ It only 24 hour's away,
UK No worries mate we visit OZ every other month NOT,

OZ Beach and barbie q's are free unlike that posh shite you mentioned above,

OZ gosh these kids are fat in the UK, thats because they are the playstation nation nothing else to do after homework when it's dark at 3 pm in winter

OZ Wish we could go to Paris like those pommies do, yup we do all the time go every weekend and also get on those cheaps flight to Europe and visit all those nice expensive places, we can do this because we all earn 40k p.a. P.B. and we let our slaves do all the house work, NOT TIME FOR A REALITY CHECK, better take the rosy glasses off,

CRIME you dont know what that means in OZ he he he you'll see when you return to the land of milk and honey...

The above is only fun but there is truth in it
Old Mar 16th 2003, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

scoobydooathome is an unknown quantity at this point

Dotty,

You said a saying what my Mum used to say,

''ALL THAT JAZZ ''

Very seventies 70's, I think you have given your age away

Cheers,
Old Mar 16th 2003, 7:36 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Dotty When are you coming 'home' Obviously you made the wrong decision when you went to australia and can't get your head above that mistake. How about changing your life and becoming 'happy' Come home i'll wave as we pass on our journeys
Old Mar 16th 2003, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by scoobydooathome
Dotty,

''ALL THAT JAZZ ''

Cheers,
Actually its the slogan here from one of the latest car releases, called the JAZZ. 2003 I believe. Big TV and AD campaign, 70,s fashion is big here too with the teens.

Gosh scooby, dont tell me OZ is behind the times. Just as we finally get cars with CD players and all.
Old Mar 16th 2003, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

I should have printed a warning, lighthearted post coming up.

Didn't mean to get all the pommies knickers in a knot.

I think you could post a big picture here of a Koala shagging a kangaroo and some uptight pompus person would write" Dotty dear" didnt you know it is strictly impossible for a koala to accommodate a kangaroo like that. Koalas are such cute australians and we will write to Steve Irwin if you continue to post in this fashion.

(By the way folks, we do have Koalas shagging out the back of our house they actually scream like mad pigs as they are at it, it keeps you awake all night).

For heavens sake, lighten up, it you are coming over here you will need a sense of humour. Especially when you find a lot of what people are saying here is oh so true.

Now let me guess, scoobydo, Shitske, or "Chris" will proceed to tell me Koalas dont do the wild deed.
Old Mar 16th 2003, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future

I should have printed a warning, lighthearted post coming up.

Didn't mean to get all the pommies knickers in a knot.

I think you could post a big picture here of a Koala shagging a kangaroo and some uptight pompus person would write" Dotty dear" didnt you know it is strictly impossible for a koala to accommodate a kangaroo like that. Koalas are such cute australians and we will write to Steve Irwin if you continue to post in this fashion.

(By the way folks, we do have Koalas shagging out the back of our house they actually scream like mad pigs as they are at it, it keeps you awake all night).

For heavens sake, lighten up, it you are coming over here you will need a sense of humour. Especially when you find a lot of what people are saying here is oh so true.

Now let me guess, scoobydo, Shitske, or "Chris" will proceed to tell me Koalas dont do the wild deed.
Dotty,

These people are upset because you are tainting their dreams - you and I both know the score. Let them find out the hard way. If all they are after is beach, BBQs and a "laid back lifestyle" - they will be OK. It is interesting to see that the people posting on this site who are "negative" about Oz are those who seek a little more "depth" from life!

Let those shallow, hopeful expats find out for themselves they clearly know best...???
Old Mar 16th 2003, 8:37 am
Just Joined

feelthebass is an unknown quantity at this point

Another delightfully arrogant, off handed, useless reply from 'shiela.
Old Mar 16th 2003, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pommiesheila
Dotty,

It is interesting to see that the people posting on this site who are "negative" about Oz are those who seek a little more "depth" from life!

I have noticed that of late. All the negative posters, seem to have high education, or amibition. Own business seems a common thread, and that requires guts, ambition, and dedication. Lying staring at a beach just does not cut it.

Laid back to me means boring, to others that may be paradise.
Old Mar 16th 2003, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

BigBill is an unknown quantity at this point

CRIME you dont know what that means in OZ he he he you'll see when you return to the land of milk and honey...

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but crime in OZ is just as bad as in UK. This is not paranoid rantings of a whinging pommie, its a fact. But as you say...you'll see that when you get down under to the land of milk and honey...
Old Mar 16th 2003, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road

Hmmmmm,

OZ gosh it's so expensive there,
UK er not everyone earns 40.000 grand per year P.B., actually I know nobody who earns that, plenty of people think they do though and it all ends in tears when they realises they can't afford their financed lifestyle he he he ...

OZ Wow what small houses you pommies live in, you'll miss the big houses when you return to the UK and live in a shoe box costing 3200.00 rubber dollars a month plus council tax at 1300 pounds a year ...
(we dont have a 3200 $ bond on our house thank god)

UK house work, well what new there, that what you quote above is what we do all the time, just because you live in England don't think there's no chores to do ... mind you with us all earning 40k p.a. we just get our slaves to do the work,

OZ Oh my go petrol is expensive and we spend all our time in waiting traffic, these guys wishing to come back are in cook coo land, dont knock what you have got in OZ you'll miss it when it's gone,

OZ It only 24 hour's away,
UK No worries mate we visit OZ every other month NOT,

OZ Beach and barbie q's are free unlike that posh shite you mentioned above,

OZ gosh these kids are fat in the UK, thats because they are the playstation nation nothing else to do after homework when it's dark at 3 pm in winter

OZ Wish we could go to Paris like those pommies do, yup we do all the time go every weekend and also get on those cheaps flight to Europe and visit all those nice expensive places, we can do this because we all earn 40k p.a. P.B. and we let our slaves do all the house work, NOT TIME FOR A REALITY CHECK, better take the rosy glasses off,

The above is only fun but there is truth in it
SOME truth there might be.....but why is missing an Art gallery or theatre or Museum derided as "posh shite"?
Getting to Europe really doesn't demand a 40k salary either. Plenty of budget airlines offer 'silly' deals. A friend has just returned from Rome and it cost him 99p each way (excluding taxes)
Old Mar 16th 2003, 9:14 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Dotty,
I accept your views in the main and unlike some I do value both your and P,S's opinions even P.B's as well, some, however, I find are wildly inaccurate/exaggerated. I see from your posts you miss the shopping, museums, galleries, theatre and nightlife. It begs the question why move so far to the north of Queensland in the first place? Surely you must have known there would be none of that? What made you choose to live in such isolation when you’re obviously a person who craves culture and intellectual stimulation? Is it that your hubby is local to the area? As for the heat and humidity you must have known what it would be like, so again, why?
I've been to the area myself; my folks are building not to far away and aside from the beach/surfing and fishing there is really very little to do. Their passion is sailing so they are content with a nice home close to their boat. They are retired so they fit in with your stereotype of larger house buyers. Myself, I've never experienced theatre, opera, the ballet etc. as it's "not my cup of tea". I choose to fish, sail, and dive, windsurf and cycle; though the weather is so prohibitive in UK most of these are limited to the summer months. Windsurfing in the Humber Estuary in March is for people made of stronger stuff than I nowadays.
We are going because we are outdoor people and like a simple uncomplicated [yes boring] life. I don't crave the things you miss so much and I appreciate some of the things you dislike. I found the Sunshine Plaza far better than Freshney Place our local shopping centre, but then the only time I went to London shopping I loathed every minute of it. This leads me to a point I think P,S made re people who are negative wanting a little more depth from life. It seems to me that if you’re a professional person who left the U.K to escape the rat race then migration's going to be a disappointment to you, lacking in entertainment more suited to your needs. Those of us who have manual trades expect less in the way of laid on entertainment and consequentially are happier to make our own. I chose to leave school at 16 and work as a brickie because the thought of sitting festering in an office/factory all day was abhorrent to me. Friends and family tried their best to dissuade me and said I would be wasting my life and my education but I stuck with it. I meet people from all walks of life daily and the question most often asked is why do you do what you do? My answer is because I enjoy my job and I enjoy meeting different people and I adore that simple uncomplicated life. At 5pm I down tools and go home stress free if that makes me shallow tough! I can put my hand on heart and say I'm happy doing the job I do, what price does one place on that kind of happiness? I to ran a successful business for a time but found the stress of chasing debts continuously more trouble than it was worth. As a self employed subcontractor I get the best of both worlds.
I've said previously migrating to Australia gives me the opportunity to have little or no mortgage, earn a little more than I do at present in the U.K plus I get to spend some quality time with my children and my parents doing things we enjoy as a family. I'm not a dreamer nor do I think that it's fair to brand potential migrants losers for doing something you've done yourselves. I have given careful thought and consideration to the whole process and I go knowing full well it's not Utopia and that for a time we may struggle acclimatizing, hopefully we will be able to support one another as a family unit.
Sean.
P.S I should have replied on the other thread but this had the best header I've seen for ages
Old Mar 16th 2003, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

penzer is an unknown quantity at this point

i found it funny dotty,
cresta was spot on....don't like it in one location so give up? whats stopping you from trying somewhere else?
its what you make it.
Old Mar 16th 2003, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

Dotty you seem quite creative why don't you take that talent elsewhere and apply it some where useful!?
Old Mar 17th 2003, 12:39 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Dotty,

''ALL THAT JAZZ ''

Cheers,

Not Really she must have just seen "Chicago" (the Movie). My grand kids are saying that all the time i'ts the thing to say ........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.