Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flights - Singapore direct or Travel Agent?

Flights - Singapore direct or Travel Agent?

Old Nov 27th 2004, 10:29 am
I never gave up trying

gunnercaz is on a distinguished road
Default Flights - Singapore direct or Travel Agent?

Decided to go with Singapore airlines for my flight to Adeliade,OZ.
Mum may be coming with me to help me 'settle in' and shall be paying for her flight - What is the cheapeast way...booking the Flights with Singapore Airlines direct or going through a Travel Agent?
Hope to go either Feb or March 2005 - Any advice much appreciated.
Old Nov 27th 2004, 10:33 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flights - Singapore direct or Travel Agent?

Originally Posted by gunnercaz
Mum may be coming with me to help me 'settle in' and shall be paying for her flight - What is the cheapeast way...booking the Flights with Singapore Airlines direct or going through a Travel Agent?
Try Ailine network:

www.airline-network.co.uk

You can get an online quote.

Agents are generally cheaper.

You may find it cheaper to get a flight to Sydney and the Virgin Blue to Adelaide as not many flights go direct.

Good luck

G
Old Nov 27th 2004, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

asfry is an unknown quantity at this point

Best thing to do is to ring round to be honnest. Some travel agents we spoke to came up with better deals than we could find on net. In general we found the agents to be cheaper than going with the airline direct. It's also eaiser if you're planning a stop over in Singapore for the agent to arrange this and they often come up with good deals for hotels aswell. We managed to get a 5* hotel in Singapore for £29 each per night.
Old Nov 27th 2004, 10:36 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asfry
Best thing to do is to ring round to be honnest. Some travel agents we spoke to came up with better deals than we could find on net. In general we found the agents to be cheaper than going with the airline direct. It's also eaiser if you're planning a stop over in Singapore for the agent to arrange this and they often come up with good deals for hotels aswell. We managed to get a 5* hotel in Singapore for £29 each per night.
SIA do their own 'stopover' deals and you can book this when you book your flight. They do subsidised hotels, free transfer, free tour bus, discounts etc.

G
Old Nov 27th 2004, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

I checked all the online sites and found ringing Trailfinders to be just as cheap, and also it was nice to speak to a human being. They have been very helpful and got me an increased baggage allowance even though my visa has been opened before.
Old Nov 27th 2004, 12:37 pm
Go Banana's !!

We found the agents to be cheaper but specified which Singapore hotel we wanted to stay at (The Oriental) down by the bay and Esplande - highly reccomend it. The Swifts stayed there on there way out as well.

Good luck and enjoy the trip, you'll have a great time.

Best wishes

Warren

Old Nov 27th 2004, 1:06 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

I'll throw these guys into the mix, they were pretty efficient with my booking:
http://www.leestravel.co.uk/
Old Nov 27th 2004, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

What is the cheapeast way...booking the Flights with Singapore Airlines direct or going through a Travel Agent?
I have flights LHR - ADL booked for Jan and used www.airline-network.co.uk before I knew that you could buy direct via Singapore Airlines. I booked last month.

Airline Network were about £15 cheaper than Singapore direct but charge 1.5% extra for using a credit card.

www.opodo.co.uk were the cheapest at one point but increased their fares shortly before I booked. www.ebookers.com may be worth a try too.

In future I'd check Singapore Airlines direct first, especially if I wanted to pay by credit card. Feels like it should be slightly safer booking direct with the airline (no travel agent to go bust), but I could be completely wrong there.
Old Nov 27th 2004, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

Muzzman is an unknown quantity at this point

After doing the full internet search we found Travlebag to be cheapest. You may find like I did that when you ring round the price is more than quoted on the net as you can't always add in a stopover option - so ringing round is worth it.

I booked the hotel direct (Furama - it was fine) and found this cheaper than using an agent. We had a stopover and were really glad we did, and we liked Singapore a lot (much cleaner than Hong Kong from my experience).

Good luck!!

Muzzman
Old Nov 29th 2004, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

asfry is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Muzzman
After doing the full internet search we found Travlebag to be cheapest. You may find like I did that when you ring round the price is more than quoted on the net as you can't always add in a stopover option - so ringing round is worth it.

I booked the hotel direct (Furama - it was fine) and found this cheaper than using an agent. We had a stopover and were really glad we did, and we liked Singapore a lot (much cleaner than Hong Kong from my experience).

Good luck!!

Muzzman
We used Travelbag for our flights next Feb. Extremely helpful and friendly. They were the cheapest arround and by far cheaper than direct with the airline.