Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flights with Qantas

Flights with Qantas

Old Jul 4th 2007, 11:34 am
Just Joined

norfolknsuffolk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flights with Qantas

I have just booked flights for the family from Heathorw to Melbourne for Sunday 19th August with Qantas.

I have a few questions that I would apprecaite some information from everyone. I have two daughters one will be two and half and the other will be four months.

1. I have ordered a Bassinet for our youngest daughter, but with Qantas your not guaranteed to get one. Anyone know how this works?

2. What sort of entertainment is good for the plane, for the children?

3. Are we best taking on powder milk or cartons for the baby, and are Qantas happy to store and heat for us?

4. Whats the quality of Service like from Qantas?

Thank you in advance for everyone response.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 1:01 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flights with Qantas

Hiya,

I am an Australian who currently lives in the UK so fly with QANTAS regularly (14 trips between Sydney abnd London in the last 3 years).

With regard to your basinet - in the front of each section there are seats with basinet tables (enough for about 4 kids in total) and these are usually set aside for people with kiddies! They are generally allocated on check in but if you call QANTAS on the following number they will be able to allocate you seats:

0845 747 767

they cannot gaurantee that there will be one available (because what if there are 5 couples with babies and only 4 seats with basinet trays?) but they are generally very helpful. Make sure you have your flight number etc when you phone!

With regard to entertainment - all of the new 747-400's have the new digital entertainment system - they have around 20-30 movies plus TV stations and games in the back of every seat - there is also a selection of 100 or so CD's and radio stations to listen to. I never get bored. there are 3-4 designated childrens channels plus usually a couple of family movies. The good thing about the new digital entertainment system is that you can stop/rewind and play whatever movie you want - so you don't have to wait till the tape stops and starts again on each channel - so if your kids have a favourite movie in the system they can watch it over and over and over and over and over again!

If you go to the QANTAS webiste and look up 'in flight entertainment' you can actuially find the list of movies that will be avaiable on your flight (this is updted each month)

the service is usually pretty good and the food is OK (typical airline food).

not sure about your baby food/formula questions but when you are on the phone to QANTAS ask about the latest security informatino abecause you may have trouble taking certin items through customs/security (especially if you want to take a kilo of some white powder that you say is baby food!!)

Hope this helps!
Old Jul 4th 2007, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Haktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by norfolknsuffolk
I have just booked flights for the family from Heathorw to Melbourne for Sunday 19th August with Qantas.

I have a few questions that I would apprecaite some information from everyone. I have two daughters one will be two and half and the other will be four months.

1. I have ordered a Bassinet for our youngest daughter, but with Qantas your not guaranteed to get one. Anyone know how this works?

2. What sort of entertainment is good for the plane, for the children?

3. Are we best taking on powder milk or cartons for the baby, and are Qantas happy to store and heat for us?

4. Whats the quality of Service like from Qantas?

Thank you in advance for everyone response.

Hi there,

We flew back from Oz for or reccie trip just 2 weeks ago, and we flew with Qantas both ways, answers are below.

1. we ordered a basinet, it depended on size of baby, plus number of other young children on flight, our daughter is 18 months and we were lucky enough to have a basinet, the space is bigger then the normal seats, unless you sit up front of the plane, we simply checked in earlier than needed and they happily booked the seats catering for basinets there and then.

2. your 4 month old will be fine, it will be the 2 year old, we took some of her small toys with us, we also took some paper, crayons and such like to keep her entertained, we walked around the plane with her also, plus we took lots of little snacks for her to eat, raisins, healthy bars, and so on, we just simply dragged it out a little, plus she sat down for little spats watching the children's TV (bear and the big blue house - went down very well).

3. Not sure which brand of milk you use, we took powdered milk in sachets, no fuss about having to drink any at check!!! they don't store your bottles for you, but they happily give you hot water as and when you require it.

4. I heard loads of nightmare stories before we went, and were dreading our flights, however they were very nice to us, and understanding.

There were 5 of us, 2 adults 3 kids, 9 and 7 year old, plus 18 month old, they always brought out the kids food first, must admit some of the food for the 18 month old wasn't that great, but as we had no seat for the youngest when they brought out the food for us adults they were happy to put one away for us whilst one ate and the other sat with the youngest.

Thankfully we had no problems at all, and were satisfied with the service on the plane.

Good luck with the flight, if you can ask that the four of you sit together especially the middle four seats where the basinets are, you will be thankful you did.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

evil_witch is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, first post so be gentle please!

we're just back from a round the world trip with our 15month old and 8yo (was the deciding factor in trying to see if we can emigrate) and all our flights bar one were with Quantas and to be honest it was a nuisance. Every time we checked in we found we had been split up which isn't practical with 2 kids at all. The staff lied to us about there being no other available seats so they couldn't swap any so we could sit together. We know this was a lie as they opened the check in for us so we were first ones there so no-one else vould have already checked in and secondly when we got on the plane we found it was 2/3 full at best.

Despite pre-booking seats which weren't the bassinet ones (our daughter is too long for the bassinet so it was no good for us) we were moved back there every time, which as has already been said isn't so good for older kids as the armrests don't lift up. We had planned on her sleeping across us but instead I was stuck with her on me the whole time.

The kids meals were fine. Not great but you don't fly for the food after all, it was hot and the kids stuff came first. Missa (the baby) was overjoyed with her goody bag with an etch-a-sketch type thing in there. We found the best entertainement device was the control pad for the tv. She was fascinated by it. We also had some of those aqua draw mats and books. lots of books!

we used the pre-measured sachets of baby milk. Found that some places were fine with taking the water through whereas other airports were a bit funny about it. One thing to be wary of with cartons is that you may be asked to open them and test them at security then you'll have to decant them into bottles and have the hassle in keeping them chilled.

the worst thing about the flight was the baby changing. You had to stand astride the toilet and try to fit the baby onto a changing table which will be fine for a 4month old but not for anyone much older. It wasn't too bad going in there shortly after take off but as the flight wore on and more people used the toilets it was disgusting. Maybe there were just a load of cretins on our flights but there was urine and water everywhere and I wasn't prepared to change my daughter in a place where she could beome covered in someone else's pee. vile.

good luck with the flights. Medised is always a good thing to take, just helps to calm them down and make them slightly more ameanable to sleeping if they get over excited. Not usually keen on medicating children but this was a godsend when Missa got so worked up as the flight was delayed and it was well past bedtime.

Have a great trip. Sorry this was so long
Old Jul 4th 2007, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

jules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud of

I gave my youngest medised on our flight to oz but obviously didn't give her enough as she went hyper

Jules
Old Jul 4th 2007, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evil_witch
The staff lied to us about there being no other available seats so they couldn't swap any so we could sit together. We know this was a lie as they opened the check in for us so we were first ones there so no-one else vould have already checked in.
On-line check-in/seat allocation.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 9:53 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyR1976
With regard to entertainment - all of the new 747-400's have the new digital entertainment system - they have around 20-30 movies plus TV stations and games in the back of every seat - there is also a selection of 100 or so CD's and radio stations to listen to. I never get bored. there are 3-4 designated childrens channels plus usually a couple of family movies. The good thing about the new digital entertainment system is that you can stop/rewind and play whatever movie you want - so you don't have to wait till the tape stops and starts again on each channel - so if your kids have a favourite movie in the system they can watch it over and over and over and over and over again!

If you go to the QANTAS webiste and look up 'in flight entertainment' you can actuially find the list of movies that will be avaiable on your flight (this is updted each month)

.....its worth taking some backup entertainment though, especially for the kids - Qantas's inflight entertainment system has suffered from some pretty severe reliability problems - lots of stories in the press about the whole thing being unavailable for entire long haul flights.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

Take some lavender oil, rub it into the nape of your neck, the aroma is very relaxing, it will help baba to sleep and help keep you relaxed.

We flew with Quantas last year and have to agree with the toilet situation, we took our 2 year old boy who wasn't toilet trained at the time and trying to change him was a nightmare. It might be worth taking those disposable change mats that pampers do, just to ensure he/she doesn't have to lay in anything nasty! Other than that our flight was pleasant. The food wasn't great but wasn't inedible. We had to work hard to keep the little one entertained with magazines, books, toys, TV and so forth but once the excitement had worn off he dropped off to sleep like a little angel. The staff even olbiged us with a cup of warm milk for him before sleepy time, which was great as I only took juice.

Good luck with your trip and hope all goes well.

Kerry
Old Jul 4th 2007, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

[. The staff lied to us about there being no other available seats so they couldn't swap any so we could sit together. We know this was a lie as they opened the check in for us so we were first ones there so no-one else vould have already checked in and secondly when we got on the plane we found it was 2/3 full at best.

The staff wouldn't have lied to you. All the seats would have been allocated before check in, especially if Qantas operate an on line check in service as most carriers do these days. They don't allocate seats at check in, its all done in advance. Also, you say the flight was 2/3 full, at the time of check in, the flight may have been saying full, as all airlines over book flights by about 10% to account for no shows (people who just don't turn up). At the time of check in there would be no way of knowing how many no shows there would be. I used to travel standby a lot with my partner who worked for an airline, and even though the majority of the time the flight would say full or 10% overbooked, on board the flight would be half empty.

Last edited by sassie; Jul 4th 2007 at 11:57 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 12:14 am
k76
Forum Regular

k76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nice

Originally Posted by sassie
[. The staff lied to us about there being no other available seats so they couldn't swap any so we could sit together. We know this was a lie as they opened the check in for us so we were first ones there so no-one else vould have already checked in and secondly when we got on the plane we found it was 2/3 full at best.

The staff wouldn't have lied to you. All the seats would have been allocated before check in, especially if Qantas operate an on line check in service as most carriers do these days. They don't allocate seats at check in, its all done in advance. Also, you say the flight was 2/3 full, at the time of check in, the flight may have been saying full, as all airlines over book flights by about 10% to account for no shows (people who just don't turn up). At the time of check in there would be no way of knowing how many no shows there would be. I used to travel standby a lot with my partner who worked for an airline, and even though the majority of the time the flight would say full or 10% overbooked, on board the flight would be half empty.
Well, actually they do lie. At least they did it twice to me: On a recent flight I called in advance to request an emergency exit seat as I've got long legs. I was told twice that those seats are allocated on check in because they screen the persons for physical ability etc. Out from Sydney I was very early to check in, but not first. I still managed to get one, there was plenty of vacant seats on the flight. On returning I was really early to be sure, and the woman actually checked me in 30min before the check in officially opened. I was clearly first to check in, but every single emergency exit seat was booked. I asked the girl in the counter and she confirmed that yes they tell people on the phone that those seats are allocated at check in, but no that's not what happens in practice. I can only guess that they give those seats out when requested by their favourite travel agents etc.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 12:23 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by k76
I asked the girl in the counter and she confirmed that yes they tell people on the phone that those seats are allocated at check in, but no that's not what happens in practice. I can only guess that they give those seats out when requested by their favourite travel agents etc.
...yes that's pretty much true. The official story is that they are allocated at check in but if a platinum Qantas frequent flyer requests them in advance there's a fair chance they'll get em. I also have friends that work for a couple of the airlines and they have been able to allocate me emex in advance too.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

sprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nice

Originally Posted by bcworld
.....its worth taking some backup entertainment though, especially for the kids - Qantas's inflight entertainment system has suffered from some pretty severe reliability problems - lots of stories in the press about the whole thing being unavailable for entire long haul flights.
I'd second that!

I travelled from LHR to SIN in March with a bust entertainment system. Bad enough in itself, until they messed around with it for c. 3 hours trying to get it to work - net result all screens turning on and off, lots of interference, etc. They then decided that they "may" be able to show one movie (forcing it onto all screens I think). So they select "Bobby" (story of Robert Kennedy's life) - until someone points out that its classified as a 15, and not everyone may be happy with this!

Anyway - net result, 12 hour flight with no entertainment. Meant to contact Qantas to discuss this, but never got round to it. Has anyone ever had any joy in getting compensation in this type of situation?

SG
Old Jul 5th 2007, 8:05 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Don't fly Qantas with kids. Just don't. Cancel your ticket and buy another.

See our terrible experiences in this thread (and we have spoken to Ozzies who have had exactly the same experience).

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=405635

Qantas did give us financial compensation but we won't fly them again with children.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 10:02 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Don't fly Qantas with kids. Just don't. Cancel your ticket and buy another.

See our terrible experiences in this thread (and we have spoken to Ozzies who have had exactly the same experience).

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=405635

Qantas did give us financial compensation but we won't fly them again with children.
Don't fly Qantas they no longer guarantee you arrive safely or in the same plane

Sometimes the plane (part of) departs midway ie Sydney to Melbourne.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

fiona021 will become famous soon enoughfiona021 will become famous soon enough

We're flying British Airways and Quantas. May as well just give up now!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.