Flights to NZ

Old Jul 24th 2003, 8:49 am
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold
Default Flights to NZ

Hi there,

Anyone know the best way to fly to NZ (I know - in the air!!). No seriously, I heard that you get something like 64kg luggage allowance via LA, but way less than that flying via Singapore. Anyone know the best option and cheap places to book?

I have travel4less.com showing £556 each (inc tax) with Air NZ. It's showing 1 stop in Auckland, but unless they have seriously increased fuel capacity, I reckon there must be a refuel in LA at least.

cheers, Rich.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

TIZUS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Flights to NZ

Originally posted by theguitardoctor
Hi there,

Anyone know the best way to fly to NZ (I know - in the air!!). No seriously, I heard that you get something like 64kg luggage allowance via LA, but way less than that flying via Singapore. Anyone know the best option and cheap places to book?

I have travel4less.com showing £556 each (inc tax) with Air NZ. It's showing 1 stop in Auckland, but unless they have seriously increased fuel capacity, I reckon there must be a refuel in LA at least.

cheers, Rich.
Hi Rich

We are flying direct to Auckland all this means is you don't change planes but you stop to re fuel. We stop at La and have 32kg per piece two pieces of baggage each. we decided to book with travel bag and they were really helpfull www.travelbag.com
We have also decided to go business class!! well we do only plan to do this once! but they did find us a really good deal. I think when I was looking at economy they could do it for around £400.

Good luck we fly Wednesday!!!

Tori
Old Jul 24th 2003, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

Flyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

cheers, Rich.
Yep,

All AirNZ flights stop for fuel in LA (for approx 2 hours) and £556 sounds like a good price to me!!
Old Jul 24th 2003, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

Ben.M is an unknown quantity at this point

Rich, a few others to try are -
www.travelocity.co.uk
www.expedia.co.uk
www.opodo.co.uk
www.ebookers.com
www.kangarooclub.co.uk

I think there are also some BA/Quantas flights via LA that should give you the 2x32kg allowance.

Ben

Last edited by Ben.M; Jul 24th 2003 at 10:16 am.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 10:22 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

The only problem with transiting in LA is that even though you are only passing through, you have to go through a full security check, including your baggage. Since Sept 11, this has become very rigorous & they do not have the facilities to cope. Consequently this is taking up to 4 hours & apparently is a bit of a nightmare (I know someone who has been through this).
Old Jul 24th 2003, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Akaubear is an unknown quantity at this point

This isn't the case with Air NZ. Your bags stay on the plane, although you and your hand luggage have to go thru customs.

(At least that was the situation in Jan this year!)

Nicola.

Originally posted by Amazulu
The only problem with transiting in LA is that even though you are only passing through, you have to go through a full security check, including your baggage. Since Sept 11, this has become very rigorous & they do not have the facilities to cope. Consequently this is taking up to 4 hours & apparently is a bit of a nightmare (I know someone who has been through this).
Old Jul 24th 2003, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Flyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Akaubear
This isn't the case with Air NZ. Your bags stay on the plane, although you and your hand luggage have to go thru customs.

(At least that was the situation in Jan this year!)

Nicola.
Changed again now!!

If you fly direct from LHR to AKL with AirNZ on flight NZ001 you will not have to face customs and will just wait in a transit lounge whilst the a/c is refuelled. Much better than the old system!!!
Old Jul 24th 2003, 11:54 am
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the advice. It's true about the holding lounge - it's not particularly comfortable, but you don't have to go through Customs. Wife's cousin has just come over from Auckland this way.

Business class? Nah, I'll slum it with the commoners .......

travelbag.co.uk quouted £1056, but this is via Singapore, so I guess I'll lose a lot of baggage allowance? Does anybody know for sure on this one?

Thanks for the advice, regards, Rich.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 11:57 am
Life's next chapter is?

Yikes,

£1056 each that is !!!

Think I'll stick to the Air NZ route and keep the extra baggage allowance and save £1000........

Rich
Old Jul 28th 2003, 3:48 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Yikes,

£1056 each that is !!!

Think I'll stick to the Air NZ route and keep the extra baggage allowance and save £1000........

Rich

Rich

Have you booked any flights yet?

Southerner
Old Jul 28th 2003, 3:54 pm
Life's next chapter is?

Not yet Southerner - have seen £1076 for two of us one way via LA with Air NZ.....

via ebookers.......best yet

Rich
Old Jul 28th 2003, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

The Simpsons is an unknown quantity at this point

Mika24me recently posted this info which seems quite important if you're going with AirNZ and want to take the full 62kg baggage allowance each. Make sure you get the suitcase dimensions right!!! looks like one suitcase will be bigger than the other? All a bit complicated for me.......

'Please see the mail below which I recieved from Air New Zealand regarding their baggage allowance.

Dear Ms Henderson
Thank you for your email.
I can confirm that your checked baggage allowance is 2 pieces. The total
combined linear dimensions (length plus width plus height of both bags) not exceeding 272cm (107in) the larger not to exceed 158cm (62in). Each bag may weigh up to 32kgs.

If you measure your luggage you will probably find that many cases will be larger that 158cm total dimension.

I have asked what will happen if I take luggage that is too large (even if it falls within the weight restriction) and am waiting on a reply.

Has anyone had any experience of taking large suitcases on an Air New Zealand flight?

Mel'

Hope this helps,
Old Jul 29th 2003, 6:57 pm
NZ or Bust!

Sazzle is an unknown quantity at this point

We are having to all go to NZ to prove things? to the courts here. We hope to travel to NZ in the next week or so.

Any ideas re the absolute BEST fares. bearing in mind this is only a holiday so we can show that the kids have been and want to live there.