British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Flights/ Mid to late October (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/flights-mid-late-october-177803/)

whisky Sep 11th 2003 9:53 pm

Flights/ Mid to late October

We have been trying to find out the prices for flights for mid to late October, one way. Preferably Malaysian, Emirates or Singapore airlines. The prices were extortionate. The cheapest being over £700 each with Malaysian. Apparently, this is due to the Rugby till the 1st week of November.

Has anyone had any luck with flights cheaper than the above, and with who?

Whisky

PeteY Sep 11th 2003 9:55 pm

Re: Flights/ Mid to late October

Originally posted by whisky
We have been trying to find out the prices for flights for mid to late October, one way. Preferably Malaysian, Emirates or Singapore airlines. The prices were extortionate. The cheapest being over £700 each with Malaysian. Apparently, this is due to the Rugby till the 1st week of November.

Whisky
Blimey thats pricey. Can you not put off your travel date for a few weeks?

I booked 2 tickets with Singapore, one way to Melb for £960. Thats travelling on Nov 30.

Check out www.expedia.com

whisky Sep 11th 2003 10:00 pm

Originally posted by PeteY
Blimey thats pricey. Can you not put off your travel date for a few weeks?

I booked 2 tickets with Singapore, one way to Melb for £960. Thats travelling on Nov 30.

Check out www.expedia.com

We might have to at those prices ~ but I really want to get there soon.

Whisky

Jolyn Sep 11th 2003 10:37 pm

Hi Whisky,

We booked directly with Singapore Airlines last week for around £450 each one way - see this thread. We had no trouble getting seats for mid October - we only had to move one day from our first choice. Have two weeks to pay and dates are completely changeable for free up to December.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ighlight=jolyn

Seemed easier than via Expedia (same fare) because we could request seating and ask silly questions directly to a person. They've just come back to us with the seat numbers we wanted confirmed plus extra assistance with baggage in Singapore and Melbourne (getting off plane with hand luggage, car seat, buggy).

Now just need to choose our hotel from their brochure for 'Singapore Stopover' - bargain prices with admission fees to everything thrown in.

Booking up quick though so ring asap,

Jo

owieb Sep 11th 2003 10:52 pm

Originally posted by whisky

Whisky
The prices jump up again after the 9th December, so make sure you get here before then.

bondipom Sep 11th 2003 11:13 pm

Another quality airline up their with Singapore is Cathay. I flew them last May and I could not fault them. I am flying JAL in Oct who are also supposed to be good but it is years since I flew them. They have the full seat back TV thing.

RichS Sep 11th 2003 11:35 pm

Singapore Airlines are the only ones that will guarantee a seat abck entertainment system. most of the others have them, but not yet on all planes.
JAL certainly don't - I can tell you this from personal experience.

Qantas/BA - only on the newer planes.

Jolyn Sep 11th 2003 11:58 pm

Thank goodness we're flying Singapore then! We have bulkhead seats so if they're weren't seat back TVs I can just see my toddler bouncing and climbing up and down on his seat while everyone behind complains they can't see the movie...:scared:

Copperben Sep 12th 2003 12:27 am

My friend is coming out to visit me in October and was quoted 590 this was through dialaflight their website is www.dialaflight.co.u or tel 0870-333-4488. I flew out last year with them on Cathay Pacific - they were very good

Vicky88 Sep 12th 2003 1:25 am

Have you thought of trying flights going the other way, that is via the US?

Pollyana Sep 12th 2003 10:40 am

Try Cathay through Austravel - I booked a couple of months ago and it cost £570 - noone booking with them cos of SARS. Don't know whether things have changed now, but worth a try.

lynnj Sep 12th 2003 1:22 pm

Hi Whisky

Try Singapore airlines direct, not through an agent or a consolidator, many consolidators are taking advantage of the rugby, have been for months so go direct:)

Lynn

Mandyisere Sep 12th 2003 7:47 pm

I phoned Singapore Airlines and was told 460 plus taxes one way from Manchester to Melbourne on the 11 Oct. I phoned the following day to confirm and was asked if i'd been quoted 400 of course i said yes so total of 441 (including tax)

Mandy

amaslam Sep 13th 2003 1:20 am

Just check 10 mins ago: 462 GBP one way

Hi:

Austrian airlines: 462 GBP

http://www.ebookers.com/?VERSION=UK
Click on more options to select one way.

Or try uk.yahoo.com and click on Travel link.

My ticket is with Malaysian from New York to Sydney R/T (upto one year return for US$1500 or 936 GBP). Got it through a travel agent after sending out an e-mail query. I was quoted a little less for one way from New York ($740 or 460 GBP), but I wanted to lock in the ticket since I'm sure I'll be making a visit every year.

:D

whisky Sep 13th 2003 7:13 am

Thanks for all your replys. I will print this off and as soon as we have a definate date on signing contracts, I will get that flight booked. I think the best is to ring the airline direct as mentioned.

Whisky