Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flights/ Mid to late October

Flights/ Mid to late October

Old Sep 11th 2003, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flights/ Mid to late October

We have been trying to find out the prices for flights for mid to late October, one way. Preferably Malaysian, Emirates or Singapore airlines. The prices were extortionate. The cheapest being over £700 each with Malaysian. Apparently, this is due to the Rugby till the 1st week of November.

Has anyone had any luck with flights cheaper than the above, and with who?

Whisky
Old Sep 11th 2003, 9:55 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: Flights/ Mid to late October

Originally posted by whisky
We have been trying to find out the prices for flights for mid to late October, one way. Preferably Malaysian, Emirates or Singapore airlines. The prices were extortionate. The cheapest being over £700 each with Malaysian. Apparently, this is due to the Rugby till the 1st week of November.

Whisky
Blimey thats pricey. Can you not put off your travel date for a few weeks?

I booked 2 tickets with Singapore, one way to Melb for £960. Thats travelling on Nov 30.

Check out www.expedia.com
Old Sep 11th 2003, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PeteY
Blimey thats pricey. Can you not put off your travel date for a few weeks?

I booked 2 tickets with Singapore, one way to Melb for £960. Thats travelling on Nov 30.

Check out www.expedia.com

We might have to at those prices ~ but I really want to get there soon.

Whisky
Old Sep 11th 2003, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Whisky,

We booked directly with Singapore Airlines last week for around £450 each one way - see this thread. We had no trouble getting seats for mid October - we only had to move one day from our first choice. Have two weeks to pay and dates are completely changeable for free up to December.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ighlight=jolyn

Seemed easier than via Expedia (same fare) because we could request seating and ask silly questions directly to a person. They've just come back to us with the seat numbers we wanted confirmed plus extra assistance with baggage in Singapore and Melbourne (getting off plane with hand luggage, car seat, buggy).

Now just need to choose our hotel from their brochure for 'Singapore Stopover' - bargain prices with admission fees to everything thrown in.

Booking up quick though so ring asap,

Jo
Old Sep 11th 2003, 10:52 pm
owieb

Originally posted by whisky

Whisky
The prices jump up again after the 9th December, so make sure you get here before then.

Old Sep 11th 2003, 11:13 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Another quality airline up their with Singapore is Cathay. I flew them last May and I could not fault them. I am flying JAL in Oct who are also supposed to be good but it is years since I flew them. They have the full seat back TV thing.
Old Sep 11th 2003, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

Singapore Airlines are the only ones that will guarantee a seat abck entertainment system. most of the others have them, but not yet on all planes.
JAL certainly don't - I can tell you this from personal experience.

Qantas/BA - only on the newer planes.
Old Sep 11th 2003, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank goodness we're flying Singapore then! We have bulkhead seats so if they're weren't seat back TVs I can just see my toddler bouncing and climbing up and down on his seat while everyone behind complains they can't see the movie...:scared:
Old Sep 12th 2003, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

Copperben is an unknown quantity at this point

My friend is coming out to visit me in October and was quoted 590 this was through dialaflight their website is www.dialaflight.co.u or tel 0870-333-4488. I flew out last year with them on Cathay Pacific - they were very good
Old Sep 12th 2003, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you thought of trying flights going the other way, that is via the US?
Old Sep 12th 2003, 10:40 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Try Cathay through Austravel - I booked a couple of months ago and it cost £570 - noone booking with them cos of SARS. Don't know whether things have changed now, but worth a try.
Old Sep 12th 2003, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Hi Whisky

Try Singapore airlines direct, not through an agent or a consolidator, many consolidators are taking advantage of the rugby, have been for months so go direct

Lynn
Old Sep 12th 2003, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Mandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really nice

I phoned Singapore Airlines and was told 460 plus taxes one way from Manchester to Melbourne on the 11 Oct. I phoned the following day to confirm and was asked if i'd been quoted 400 of course i said yes so total of 441 (including tax)

Mandy
Old Sep 13th 2003, 1:20 am
Hello Sydney Oct 1

amaslam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just check 10 mins ago: 462 GBP one way

Hi:

Austrian airlines: 462 GBP

http://www.ebookers.com/?VERSION=UK
Click on more options to select one way.

Or try uk.yahoo.com and click on Travel link.

My ticket is with Malaysian from New York to Sydney R/T (upto one year return for US$1500 or 936 GBP). Got it through a travel agent after sending out an e-mail query. I was quoted a little less for one way from New York ($740 or 460 GBP), but I wanted to lock in the ticket since I'm sure I'll be making a visit every year.

Old Sep 13th 2003, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for all your replys. I will print this off and as soon as we have a definate date on signing contracts, I will get that flight booked. I think the best is to ring the airline direct as mentioned.

Whisky

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.