Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

flights home on 457

flights home on 457

Old Jan 4th 2012, 9:48 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: flights home on 457

Originally Posted by Pomster
So employer terminates- they are responsible; you terminate- you are responsible for costs.
When did you sign the contract? As I believe the obligation may be current from Sep 2009 (but applies to 457s granted before then).

Edit to add:

http://www.entitysolutions.com.au/Ne...id=79&ppid=301

This is just one of several questions current sponsor companies should be asking in light of the changes to 457 sponsorship obligations which came into effect on 14 September 2009...

• Do we have funds put aside for the return airfares of our sponsored personnel and their family members?

It is vital to note that all sponsor companies (including those with 457 visa holders sponsored prior to 14/9/09) are now liable to pay for the return airfares of their 457 visa holders and accompanying family members upon written request from either the visa holder or DIAC. These return travel costs can be an economy airfare to the person’s home (passport) country and may also include the costs of transport from their residence to the airport – but not relocation of their furniture or goods.

Last edited by bcworld; Jan 4th 2012 at 10:26 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
When did you sign the contract? As I believe the obligation may be current from Sep 2009 (but applies to 457s granted before then).

Edit to add:

http://www.entitysolutions.com.au/Ne...id=79&ppid=301

This is just one of several questions current sponsor companies should be asking in light of the changes to 457 sponsorship obligations which came into effect on 14 September 2009...

• Do we have funds put aside for the return airfares of our sponsored personnel and their family members?

It is vital to note that all sponsor companies (including those with 457 visa holders sponsored prior to 14/9/09) are now liable to pay for the return airfares of their 457 visa holders and accompanying family members upon written request from either the visa holder or DIAC. These return travel costs can be an economy airfare to the person’s home (passport) country and may also include the costs of transport from their residence to the airport – but not relocation of their furniture or goods.
which would make sense since they've stated I will get flights in my contract but no furniture relocation
Old Mar 24th 2012, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute

This thread has been useful, though I wondered if any one could throw some further light on my friends situation (he has left his head in the sand somewhat).

He was sponsored for a 457 visa for a permanent role with his company. He has left it until now (3 months before his visa is due to run out) to start his side of the process of applying for a ENS PR visa (funded by his company and agreed to last year on the proviso he does what he needs to do before they start their part of the process). As i understand it the ENS PR visa are taking longer than 3 months to be granted. My friend thinks that if his 457 runs out before the PR visa is granted that it will be his company's responsibility to pay for his flights back to Germany (in his case). What are people's thoughts on this?

He is refusing to apply for a 457 visa and sort the PR out at a later date.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 9:15 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bikergirl
As i understand it the ENS PR visa are taking longer than 3 months to be granted. My friend thinks that if his 457 runs out before the PR visa is granted that it will be his company's responsibility to pay for his flights back to Germany (in his case). What are people's thoughts on this?

He is refusing to apply for a 457 visa and sort the PR out at a later date.
Would he not be eligible for a bridging visa as he'd have an onshore visa in the pipeline and be holding a valid onshore visa at the time he applied?
Old Mar 24th 2012, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Would he not be eligible for a bridging visa as he'd have an onshore visa in the pipeline and be holding a valid onshore visa at the time he applied?
I may be mis-understading the information from http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1024i.pdf but it wouldn't appear he would be able to.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 10:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bikergirl
I may be mis-understading the information from http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1024i.pdf but it wouldn't appear he would be able to.
If he is able to and applies for an onshore visa then he would get a bridging visa.

Otherwise, yes I would agree with your friend that when the 457 expires the employer needs to pay for flights home.