Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

flights in december

Wikiposts

flights in december

Old Oct 7th 2003, 8:26 pm
Homeward Bound

spuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond repute

Hi we are also going Sing Air on the 18th Oct. They are return flights but the return date is indefinate so you can keep changing it (hopefully not coming back!!!).

We haven't got PR yet so didn't get the 40kilos however we emailed them and explained we'd e staying for a year and they have uppped it to 25kg - valuable extra weight! We'll be taking the email with us but my brother flew out last week with Malaysian Air and they had no prbs with 25kg each as oppposed to the usual 20.
Old Oct 7th 2003, 8:29 pm
Homeward Bound

spuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond repute

PS we went in December last year and it was absolutely ridiculous price. Def book direct if you can although we used Travelbag as they had great deal on with Sing Air.

NAME AND SHAME SPECIAL- Do not under any circumstances use LONDON AIR TRAVEL agents (unless you enjoy pulling yor hair out, running up huge phone bills and taking them to court) they have been referred to ABTA countless times and are a complete nightmare!
Old Oct 7th 2003, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

keith (UK) is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

I just wanted to follow up from Debbie's post above about ebookers.

I have also booked my flights to Oz using this company, and exactly the same thing happened. ie I said I wanted the migrants baggage allowance from Malaysian Airlines - the agent agreed - then the tickets arrive with the 'normal' baggage allowance on them.

I also made many irate phone calls to them, but got nowhere. So, last week, I sent them a really 4 page snotty letter of complaint, demanding that they get to the bottom of the matter, or face a complaint to ABTA, the office of fair trading, etc etc etc. They have not et sorted it out, and I feel as though I am in limbo a bit!

So my advice to you all would be to not book through ebookers. Tell your friends!! Tell everyone that they are just a band of cowboys! And yes, I am still really peeved!
Old Oct 7th 2003, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Keith

Quite often tickets are issued with just the standard 20kg baggage allowance on them as that is what comes up as standard on any booking in the airline reservation system, it can be changed manually but is often overlooked, you will most probably find that there is a remark in your booking that shows your baggage allowance as being more but the only way to check is to call the airline and ask them to check your booking just give them your name, date of travel and flight number and ask if there is a remark in the booking that shows you have an increased baggage allowance, if so then you have nothing to worry about, there is no point in arguing with the agent on it when you can make a 2 minute call to the airline and sort it out, your tickets will not be changed to show the increased allowance but if you are really worries about it you could ask the airline or the agent to send you a print out of your booking that shows the remarks field where the baggage allowance ammendment is put in.

Lynn
Old Oct 7th 2003, 9:02 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

just read this thread with a great deal of interest re dates to avoid etc.....but just realised THERE ARE A LOT OF YOU GOING IN THE NEXT 8 WEEKS!!!!!!!!
What will we do without you????

Good luck with all your plans - hope house sales go through, safe journeys and all that.

Sue
Old Oct 7th 2003, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

pabloako is an unknown quantity at this point

We booked a one way with Singapore Airlines, via E-bookers last night. Unfortunately I didn’t know that we had to tell them about the excess baggage when we made the reservation. (You can’ tell them that on the E-bookers website, anyway).
I phoned up Singapore Airlines this morning and the nice lady there said that we ideally should have tell them when we made the booking, but we can also just turn up at the airport and explain that you have the unstamped permanent visa and they will accept the excess baggage there and then.

Originally posted by lynnj
Re Singapore airlines, if you are stopping over then the rules are that you dont get a double baggage allowance, if they have told you that you will make sure they send you a copy of the computer printout of your booking which shows the remark stating your baggage allowance or you may have problems at check in.

It shouldnt cost you any more to book direct with the airline and means that you dont have to worry about agents admin fees and the info you are getting is direct from the horses mouth not a wild guess by the agent.

We are travelling with singapore airlines to perth on nov 29th, sorry but i cant tell you how much as i've lost the bit of paper i wrote it down on.

Lynn
Old Oct 7th 2003, 9:33 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

For all December travellers, 9th December seems common to most airlines as the last day before the price hike typically 200-300GBP. We booked last year around this time and got the last few seats on a 14 December flight.
Old Oct 8th 2003, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

keith (UK) is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Lynn

According to ebookers, the 40kg baggage allowance should be printed on the ticket. When it wasn't, I called the airline, and they confirmed that we had been allocated the standard baggage allowance.

In a nutshell, ebookers made a mistake, and then made no effort to rectify it. They seem to believe that if they just ignore mistakes, then they will just go away..... not this one!!

What makes it worse (and I apologise if I am waffling now!), but when you ring them, you can only ever speak to their call cenre staff, which is based in India. Their staff are all nice people but they always refuse to put you through you a manager or representative in the UK. When you complain to their supervisors (also in India), they ignore you.

Maybe I have just had a bad experience with them...... but I will not using them ever again, and would advise friends to check their booking details with them very very carefully.

Cheers,
Keith.
Old Oct 8th 2003, 1:09 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PeteY
H....problem is that unless you actually booked through the airline, the agent you used has to do the alteration.

We wanted to do a stopover, but the agent we used (expedia) wanted to charge us £100 each. We phoned singapore air and they said there was nothing they could do about it.

But i did actually book through the airline, see number Never use a middle man if it can be avoided, less confusion all round
Old Oct 8th 2003, 3:55 am
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I reckon hubby can get extra baggage allowance but Im not sure about my daughter and myslef as we are travelling via Australian passports. I have lived in the uk for many many years . I think I will ask them if I could have extra baggage and also my daughter...
has any one else come across this before.

Cheers
booboo
Old Oct 8th 2003, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

Prestons is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by booboo
I reckon hubby can get extra baggage allowance but Im not sure about my daughter and myslef as we are travelling via Australian passports. I have lived in the uk for many many years . I think I will ask them if I could have extra baggage and also my daughter...
has any one else come across this before.

Cheers
booboo
Hi

Best to check with the airline - but I think my Uncle, who has an Australian passport, was given 30kg by Singapore airlines & his wife and kids 40kg when they left a month or so ago.

Dawn
Old Oct 8th 2003, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't know you had an Aussie passport BooBoo - perhaps you and I should more rightly be called Australian Expats? Long term ones that's for sure.

Sing Air said hubby travelling on PR spouse visa could have 40kg. Alec (son) and I travelling on Aussie passports could have 20kg each but that up to 25kg would be OK to check in without a problem. So 90kg altogether.
Old Oct 9th 2003, 4:22 am
Badge

Mr and Mrs Badgers* are flying out to San Francisco - seeing rellies there for 3 days then arriving in Straya just before New Year's Eve.

As we fly to SF on Xmas Day - cost of a single - 500 quid for a trans-Atlantic then Trans-Pacific flight!!! + double baggage. (Emotional or not as the case may be!)

Badge

*[to be]

Old Oct 9th 2003, 4:42 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

We are unable to claim excess baggage as we are doing lods of stopovers on the way and then even if we could I don't fancy carrying a backpack of 40kg!!!!

If anyone is thinking of travelling on the way try emirates as we are doing stopovers in dubai, india, sri lanka, bangkok surface to singapore then melbourne. £454 one way tax £77. Not bad if not in a rush to get there and want to see a bit of the world on the way.

Can't wait 4 weeks on wednesday and we leave the UK!!!!!
Old Oct 9th 2003, 4:49 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
just read this thread with a great deal of interest re dates to avoid etc.....but just realised THERE ARE A LOT OF YOU GOING IN THE NEXT 8 WEEKS!!!!!!!!
What will we do without you????

Good luck with all your plans - hope house sales go through, safe journeys and all that.

Sue
Sue,
will anyone be left in the Uk (appart from U & Me) after everyone leaves

Good luck to all those happy people off to Oz

Regards
MarkeH

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.