Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

flights in december

flights in december

Old Oct 7th 2003, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default flights in december

Looking at flights for october going to Melbourne seems ok but december is a nightmare. Not sure if we,ll be leaving late nov or early dec. Im hoping for november....

how far in advance have other people booked their flights before their contracts have exchanged on their homes here in the uk....

cheers
booboo
Old Oct 7th 2003, 5:20 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

phone singapore on 0870 6088886. You can book a flight and change the date as many times as you need (before dec 10th) for free. I rang them today and asked about how much notice i would have to give to change my flight, and they said any time before the flight takes off!
Old Oct 7th 2003, 5:23 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

We have singapore flights on the 30th nov, to melbourne.

We were going to make a change to the flight, as we were thinking about doing a stopover. When we phoned singapore air to ask they said no problems, there are seats available on most flights around that date.

Give em a ring !!
Old Oct 7th 2003, 5:25 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by h garrett
phone singapore on 0870 6088886. You can book a flight and change the date as many times as you need (before dec 10th) for free. I rang them today and asked about how much notice i would have to give to change my flight, and they said any time before the flight takes off!
H....problem is that unless you actually booked through the airline, the agent you used has to do the alteration.

We wanted to do a stopover, but the agent we used (expedia) wanted to charge us £100 each. We phoned singapore air and they said there was nothing they could do about it.

Old Oct 7th 2003, 6:23 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future
Default Re: flights in december

Originally posted by booboo
Looking at flights for october going to Melbourne seems ok but december is a nightmare. Not sure if we,ll be leaving late nov or early dec. Im hoping for november....

how far in advance have other people booked their flights before their contracts have exchanged on their homes here in the uk....

cheers
booboo
Hi Booboo,
I've been looking at the costs more than the availability and the prices seam to peak around December on the BA web site I guess it's when there is greatest demand. November sounds like a good idea, if you can get your contracts exchanged.

I hope it all goes well.
Regards
Markeh
Old Oct 7th 2003, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

We will ring singapore airlines tommorrow Hevs.....
Nove seems to be the best bet!!!!

thanks for your help peeps...

booboo
Old Oct 7th 2003, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Booboo,

We booked directly with Singapore too like H. So much easier, cheaper and better than via agents. You also have two weeks to pay after booking. As H said you can change anytime to 10 Dec for free. I think you can change to after 10 Dec too on payment of a supplement which is no more than it would have cost anyway - maybe check with the airline about that though.

A good deal all round so I'd book it up now if it was me!! Also then you have a date to work towards. Telling them we had flights booked for 15th Oct worked well to get our buyers hurrying up. Don't tell them they're easy to change though!

We went for the white lie approach: Told our buyers that the flights were all booked out and we were lucky to get those seats - if they missed the deadline to exchange their move would have to be put back for weeks and weeks until we could get other flights. Not entirely untrue in your case as seats are tricky to get past mid Dec because of all the Aussies going home for Christmas.

Book now!!! Have a great trip and see you there asap!
Old Oct 7th 2003, 8:02 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hi Jolyn,
out of interest how much is it to fly with Singapore ?

I need a holiday!!!

Regards
Markeh
Old Oct 7th 2003, 8:13 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

sorry, not Jo, but our was £1450 for a family of 4 ONE WAY!!!!!!
Paid for and confirmed today!!!!!!!!! :scared:
Old Oct 7th 2003, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

Debbie A is an unknown quantity at this point

We booked our flights as soon as someone put in an offer on our house! However we found that trying to change our tickets was more difficult because we booked through an agent (Ebookers). We were told that we could double our baggage allowance as we were emigrating - the airline (Cathay Pacific) said it was no problem but we would have to get Ebookers to reissue the tickets with the revised baggage allowance, however Ebookers said it was nothing to do with them!! After loads of irate phone calls it cost us £40 to get the tickets changed by Ebookers.
Make sure that whoever you book through knows you are emigrating when you book and get the increased baggage alowance.
It was still cheaper to go through Ebookers - £1100 for 2 adults and a child on 4th Dec.
Old Oct 7th 2003, 9:47 pm
Happy Daddy

Hi all,
I hope that you all have nice flifhts with not a hint of turbulance or delay.

All the best
Markeh
Old Oct 7th 2003, 9:56 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

If you want to fly in december book well in advance as the Xmas rush is one of the busiest periods for the airlines. Prices go through the roof and the seats get booked quickly.
Old Oct 7th 2003, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

Prestons is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

We have booked by phone with Singapore air for 1st December - and were told that the price we paid (£399 adult £299 kids - with taxes 1554.00 in total) is valid until 9th December. After this prices rise by £200 each and return to the above after 16th Jan. Basically, as long as you fly within 'your season' you can change dates without penalty.

Re. the double baggage allowance, we can take 40kgs each as long as passports state the wording 'allowed to live permanently in Australia' or along those lines as I can't remember exactly! You just have to read this over the phone to get the extra kgs.

Dawn
Old Oct 8th 2003, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Re Singapore airlines, if you are stopping over then the rules are that you dont get a double baggage allowance, if they have told you that you will make sure they send you a copy of the computer printout of your booking which shows the remark stating your baggage allowance or you may have problems at check in.

It shouldnt cost you any more to book direct with the airline and means that you dont have to worry about agents admin fees and the info you are getting is direct from the horses mouth not a wild guess by the agent.

We are travelling with singapore airlines to perth on nov 29th, sorry but i cant tell you how much as i've lost the bit of paper i wrote it down on.

Lynn
Old Oct 8th 2003, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Bella will become famous soon enough
Default Re: flights in december

Originally posted by booboo

cheers
booboo
Hi Booboo,

We didn't book our flights til we completed and handed over keys cos I felt anything could still go wrong until this point.

We booked tickets with an independent agent. Initially we were quoted £900 at end of Oct but the agent then rang what she referred to as a 'consolidator' and the price came down dramatically. We are now flying with Sing Air to Singapore for a 2 night stopover then on to Sydney for £1100 inc transfer from airport and 2 nights in 4 * hotel, for 2. Think this is good deal.
So I reckon that although it will be more expensive in Dec, using an independent agent may be worth a try.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.