Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flights to Brisbane via USA

Flights to Brisbane via USA

Old Jul 9th 2007, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

emmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud of
Default Flights to Brisbane via USA

hi
does anyone know who to book through to get to brisbane via usa - i want to take advantage of the extra luggage!
Thanks
Emma xx
Old Jul 9th 2007, 7:36 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flights to Brisbane via USA

Originally Posted by emmyjc1
hi
does anyone know who to book through to get to brisbane via usa - i want to take advantage of the extra luggage!
Thanks
Emma xx

You would probably need to go via Melbourne or Sydney.

I doubt if there would be any direct flights from Brisbane to the US.

G
Old Jul 9th 2007, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

emmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Grayling
You would probably need to go via Melbourne or Sydney.

I doubt if there would be any direct flights from Brisbane to the US.

G
Thats what it seems like - i have been via us b4 but only to sydney - direct with united would be via nz - and is £1300!
Old Jul 9th 2007, 7:53 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Thats what it seems like - i have been via us b4 but only to sydney - direct with united would be via nz - and is £1300!

My son travels regularly between Brisbane, Los Angeles and the UK (in fact he is at Heathrow at this moment waiting for his flight back to Sydney).

He always has to go via Sydney or Melbourne.....but then his company always use BA/Qantas.....and they only go from Sydney or Melbourne.

I am not sure if any airline will fly direct to Brisbane. The only American carrier across the Pacific is United and they do not go to Brisbane.

Air NZ cross the Pacific but you already know about them.

Unless anyone knows different?.....

G
Old Jul 9th 2007, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

bobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud of

hi
Thanks
Emma xx
We are travelling to Brisbane via USA.

Heathrow to Miami, LA, Fiji then Brisbane. It is a World Discovery ticket that allows stopovers.

We booked it through Travelmood

Bobby
Old Jul 9th 2007, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

Amandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of light

Qantas does flights direct from LA to Brisbane. And from gatwick to LA (I think), when I originally flew in, I did heathrow to LA, LA to sydney with Air New Zeland, for the same reason. It makes a big different being able to bring 2 X bags each. although I would do a bit a research and see if the price difference is worth it compared to excess luggage.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 9:45 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amandabee
Qantas does flights direct from LA to Brisbane.
Hi,

This is correct...Qantas flies direct LA to BNE 5 days a week and I think this is soon to go daily....if you wanted to fly west you would almost certainly travel on BA from Heathrow to LA as Qantas do not fly between the UK and USA, but will probably codeshare with BA. If you wanted more options then you should be prepared to connect in Sydney.....then you would have the choice of Qantas, United, Air Canada, Hawaiian etc. all giving you the 64kg baggage allowance. Actually beware if your first leg is on BA as they are now strictly enforcing a new baggage policy and your maxiumum allowance via North America would be 46kg and NOT 64kg (after 30 Sep 2007)!

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...en_gb#americas

Beware though....becuase of the Australian government's protection of Qantas on the Pacific Routes and stifling of competition fares to cross the Pacific are generally far higher than coming via SE Asia.

Bazza

Last edited by bcworld; Jul 9th 2007 at 9:48 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Amandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of light

Bazza,

Yeah I had heard about BA enforcing the lower baggage allowance.... not fair!
Old Jul 9th 2007, 10:02 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Bazza,

Yeah I had heard about BA enforcing the lower baggage allowance.... not fair!
Yup, BA seem determined to alienate a lot of their customers with many of their new policies......I think the reason for this one is that they are trying to get less bags in the system because BA have a nasty habit of losing the ones they handle now! Especially at Heathrow.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 3:11 am
jce
Forum Regular

jce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to all

hi
Thanks
Emma xx
Noone has mentioned Air New Zealand who fly Heathrow, LA, Auckland, Brisbane. Thats the route i came and it was the cheapest with the extra luggage allowance.

Best place to book that route is the Air New Zealand website. Often the case now that the cheapest place to book is the airlines own website.

Other places to look at prices/routes are www.expedia.co.uk and the Flightbookers site.

Airlines also have high and low seasons - we are in a high season at the moment. Cheapest parts of the year are from around the end of Sept to ealy Dec and from Feb to Easter.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 6:46 am
Bitter and twisted

Qantas does flights direct from LA to Brisbane. And from gatwick to LA (I think), when I originally flew in, I did heathrow to LA, LA to sydney with Air New Zeland, for the same reason. It makes a big different being able to bring 2 X bags each. although I would do a bit a research and see if the price difference is worth it compared to excess luggage.

I was not aware of that.

However as the number of flights would be limited compared to Sydney or Brisbane then the prices would probably be higher.

G
Old Jul 10th 2007, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

micnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the rough

we are flying on 11th October Heathrow - LA - Auckland - Brisbane. competitive quote through travelmood. worked out the same price as the cheapest flight via hong kong. Heathrow to La is with Virgin, La onwards is with Air New Zealand. Increased baggage allowance confirmed on all legs. transfer in Auckland is either 1 1/2 or 2 hours only.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold

hi
Thanks
Emma xx

We had looked at going via the US to get the extra baggage allowance but found it to be way more expensive. Have found this company who can either ship or fly extra cases for you at a reasonable price.
www.excessbaggage.com
Works out cheaper to do this than paying the additional for the flight via the USA.

Debbie
Old Jul 10th 2007, 9:47 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissydeb
We had looked at going via the US to get the extra baggage allowance but found it to be way more expensive. Have found this company who can either ship or fly extra cases for you at a reasonable price.
www.excessbaggage.com
Works out cheaper to do this than paying the additional for the flight via the USA.

Debbie
And definitely preferable to flying BA