Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

flights booked from oz but comin from uk

flights booked from oz but comin from uk

Old Jun 4th 2004, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

hutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the rough
Default flights booked from oz but comin from uk

hi anyone know good cheap flights, we r paying for mam and dad from this end perth, to fly out at xmas time, but because of security etc , they seem to b expensive. not many airlines will let us book from oz as we r not flying with them, one price we did get was around $2.500 each which i thought was a bit much, any good cheap websites out there........Cheers jan hutchy xxxxxxxxx p,s hoping to fly from manchester..............
Old Jun 4th 2004, 11:27 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Dont quote me on this but I have recently done the same thing but the other way round and I was told that due to air tax it was always best to buy tickets ex where you are flying from. ie ex uk in your case

If you still have a UK credit card I would suggest looking on expedia.co.uk etc and buy there tickets on line as if you are in the UK. for example i have just looked on expedia and picked random dates in november and the flights came up as £698 ea

If not it will prob be a lot cheaper to but them on your parents card and pay them back if you want to pay for them.

My in-laws came over from perth and we booked the tickets on my hubbys australian credit card on the australian version of Expedia (zuji.com.au) and saved quite a lot in tax.

good luck
Cheers
Kala
Old Jun 4th 2004, 11:31 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of
Default Re: flights booked from oz but comin from uk

Originally posted by hutchy
hi anyone know good cheap flights, we r paying for mam and dad from this end perth, to fly out at xmas time, but because of security etc , they seem to b expensive. not many airlines will let us book from oz as we r not flying with them, one price we did get was around $2.500 each which i thought was a bit much, any good cheap websites out there........Cheers jan hutchy xxxxxxxxx p,s hoping to fly from manchester..............

ps,

flights form MAN are lots more than LHR, i would suggest booking a cheapy internal flight from MAN to LHR if you do it early enough you can get them for about £30-£60.
Old Jun 4th 2004, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Prestons is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

My Sister has just booked flights from the UK on Malaysian airlines. She used my credit card number to pay for it over the phone without problems. Some airlines though (such as Singapore) insist that the card holder is a member of the travelling party. For 3 of them, the tickets were around the £1900 mark including taxes (return). Much cheaper than booking them from here in $.

Dawn
Old Jun 4th 2004, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Stewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the rough

Hi Hutchy
We're flying out to Melbourne on the 15th December from Manchester. We're flying with Emirates and the return fare is £1075 + taxes (we're going for holiday, not for good - yet!) Fares are always high in December. We booked through Austravel here in the UK. www.austravel.com
Not the cheapest we've paid by a long shot but we like Emirates.
I'm a bit jealous about you living on the Mornington Peninsula. love it down there. Our Daughter lives in Skye.
Hope this helps

All the best
Old Jun 5th 2004, 9:57 am
Just Joined

creed is an unknown quantity at this point

flights are expensive hey .... unfortunately, as you've found out, prices for the run up to xmas are very expensive .... going home for xmas last year killed me (nobody got a present apart from my company ... most would argue that they were hard done to!!)

i've found that Bestflights.com.au does good offers for flying UK relatives over to Aus - look under overseas departures.

The company itself is very helpful - however you will probably find that prices just prior to xmas are still expensive.

If your folks can fly out before the 7th dec, Cathy Pacific are offering $1739ish or about 660 quid.

hope this helps
Old Jun 5th 2004, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

hutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the rough
Default thanx

Originally posted by Stewie
Hi Hutchy
We're flying out to Melbourne on the 15th December from Manchester. We're flying with Emirates and the return fare is £1075 + taxes (we're going for holiday, not for good - yet!) Fares are always high in December. We booked through Austravel here in the UK. www.austravel.com
Not the cheapest we've paid by a long shot but we like Emirates.
I'm a bit jealous about you living on the Mornington Peninsula. love it down there. Our Daughter lives in Skye.
Hope this helps

All the best
thanx for all info. will look at all options, stewie i am now in perth but loved mornington when i was there..........jan hutchyxx
Old Jun 5th 2004, 10:21 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

you had medicals results 2 days after having medicals????

credit card debited 02-06-04
sent application 01-06-04
received police check back 28-05-04
received medicals back 20-05-04
had medicals 18-05-04
applied for police check 13-05-04
Old Jun 5th 2004, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute

We just flew with Singapore from Manchester to Brisbane and it cost us £2350 for 5 of us (2 Adults 3 Kids) return.
I know it is probably the cheapest time to go at the moment but we booked these through: http://www.travelocity.co.uk and if you are flexible with the days I am sure you will get reasonably priced ones.

Good luck
Old Jun 5th 2004, 10:50 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by kala
ps,

flights form MAN are lots more than LHR, i would suggest booking a cheapy internal flight from MAN to LHR if you do it early enough you can get them for about £30-£60.
Sorry Kala
I generally travel from Manchester and usually find it the same price or cheaper and a lot less hassle.
try airline Network:

www.airline-network.co.uk

Good luck

G
Old Jun 7th 2004, 7:58 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

Originally posted by Grayling
Sorry Kala
I generally travel from Manchester and usually find it the same price or cheaper and a lot less hassle.
try airline Network:

www.airline-network.co.uk

Good luck

G

OH, OK I stand corrected.

Cheers
Kala
Old Jun 7th 2004, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

I booked tickets for my sons from London to brisbane through eBookers, and paid with my Au credit card. The tickets were with Singapore Airlines
Old Jun 7th 2004, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Dicko
We just flew with Singapore from Manchester to Brisbane and it cost us £2350 for 5 of us (2 Adults 3 Kids) return.
I know it is probably the cheapest time to go at the moment but we booked these through: http://www.travelocity.co.uk and if you are flexible with the days I am sure you will get reasonably priced ones.

Good luck
That's a good price for 5 of you..........I have three kids too so I'd be well happy with that price.

when did you go and via what route ?.......
cheers
Old Jun 7th 2004, 10:54 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

Originally posted by Timber Floor Au
you had medicals results 2 days after having medicals????

credit card debited 02-06-04
sent application 01-06-04
received police check back 28-05-04
received medicals back 20-05-04
had medicals 18-05-04
applied for police check 13-05-04

Yeah, Was that quicker than normal then? I've been quite lucky, my police check only too 15 days aswell.

Not heard a dickybird from AHC yet though so maybe my luck is running out

Kala
Old Jun 7th 2004, 11:31 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Olibeneli
That's a good price for 5 of you..........I have three kids too so I'd be well happy with that price.

when did you go and via what route ?.......
cheers
I'm going in a couple of weeks time.
Manchester to Sydney with Malaysian via KL.

£490 + tax each return (two adults).

I had the choice of BA/Qantas and Singapore at the same price.

With Singapore from Manchester you stop at Amsterdam or Mumbai which can be a pain.
BA would mean stopping in London.
Malaysian go direct but only 3 days a week from Manchester (3 a day from Heathrow.).
Emirates were a bit more expensive for some reason.

There is more choice from Heathrow but is a pain getting there for me.
Prices will go up as soon as the school holidays start.

G