Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flights booked, baggage a pain

Flights booked, baggage a pain

Old Nov 2nd 2009, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

martynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nice
Default Flights booked, baggage a pain

Hi,

We've got our flights booked for 19th Jan (Emirates) but have a baggage query, I hope someone can help ?

We've got an allocated 30KG each for me, my wife and two girls.

Silly question maybe, are those at the check-in desk likely to aggregate the weight of the total amount of bags against a total weight so for example we could have up to 10 bags but provided that the total weight does not exceed the total weight for all of us (in our case 120KG), we would be ok ? Or are they specific that we must have only 4 bags weighing 30KG each ?

I've just re-read this and it sounds like an exam question that I had years ago....brought me out in a cold sweat then too....

sorry, any help gratefully received. Martyn
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 6:46 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flights booked, baggage a pain

Originally Posted by martynm
Hi,

We've got our flights booked for 19th Jan (Emirates) but have a baggage query, I hope someone can help ?

Silly question maybe, are those at the check-in desk likely to aggregate the weight of the total amount of bags against a total weight so for example we could have up to 10 bags but provided that the total weight does not exceed the total weight for all of us (in our case 120KG), we would be ok ? Or are they specific that we must have only 4 bags weighing 30KG each ?

I've just re-read this and it sounds like an exam question that I had years ago....brought me out in a cold sweat then too....

Total weight if you check in together. No one piece may be heavier than 32kg tho as the staff wont lift it.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

crikey is a jewel in the roughcrikey is a jewel in the roughcrikey is a jewel in the roughcrikey is a jewel in the rough

Be careful, had a huge row with a check in clerk in Los Angeles a couple of years ago because Virgins limit is 20kg per bag & 1 bag each.
Despite us only having 2 bags with about 25kg & 1 with 14kg she wanted to charge us excess baggage even though we were well under our aggregate allowance but in 3 bags not 5 - needless to say with the ex-gestapo agents that work in airports around the world I lost & ended up re-packing my bags in the check in hall to balance them out.

Funnily enough I have just e-mailed Singapore airlines to ask them to confirm that we can have double allowance on our flight to Melbourne on Boxing day - I will post their reply on here.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

crikey is a jewel in the roughcrikey is a jewel in the roughcrikey is a jewel in the roughcrikey is a jewel in the rough

here's SIA's answer -

Thank you for your e-mail.

Please be advised that, if you hold an unused / unstamped migrant visa that specifically states that you are permitted to remain in Australia Indefinitely, then you will be entitled to double baggage allowance (40 kilos), on production of that visa at check-in. You can have as many items of luggage as you wish providing no one single item of baggage exceeds 32 kilos in weight. This is a health and safety requirement.

If you are not holding the correct visa, then you will be entitled to the standard free checked baggage allowance of 20 kilos per passenger (adults and children aged 2 years and above).

For reference, passengers holding Australian passports, Spouse or Provisional/Temporary/Work Visas, or visas that have already been stamped, will not be eligible for double baggage allowance.

I hope this information helps.

Thank you for choosing Singapore Airlines.

Yours Sincerely,

SIA UK

had a look on Emirates site but it isn't clear, does not specifically state one bag either though so should be ok.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

When we flew emirates in July we had 5 bags between 3 of us but under the 90 kilo allowance for us. We also had a buggy and hand lugguage.

Just be careful as the check-in staff at both Glasgow and Dubai were really strict with everyone on their allowances. One woman in front of us in Glasgow had to re-jiggle a few things as she was 1 kilo over in her suitcase.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

martynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nice

Cheers everyone.

Crikey, thanks for your help and response from Singapore. We validated in June 2007 and have been this long trying to sell our house !!!! Otherwise we'd have been in the double allowance bracket it seems.

thanks for all helpful responses.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:56 am
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martynm
Hi,

Just a thought, but we used large sports bags (after advice from BE members) and that got our weight down considerably. We had to get a connection from Mel to Adl with Virgin Blue so we kept to their limit 23kg pp. Mind you, forgot about the two sets of golf clubs

I weighed a large suit case (wheels and pull out handle) and it weighed 5kg's so that's a lot of case to carry for no gain in my opinion.

Cooler
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 9:49 am
Account Closed

lunacrout is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, I'm just sticking my nose into your Australia forum

We semi-moved to Spain 6 years ago in that we kept a base in the UK and once a year returned and loaded up more of our things to take over. Last trip end of this month & we'll be in Spain permanently.

My question is - obviously with moving such a distance you can't do that, so are you just really ruthless with getting rid of your possessions - how do you decide what goes with you and what has to be left behind?

Old Nov 3rd 2009, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

SideshowJack is an unknown quantity at this point

Im having similar troubles. Im flying out on the 15th November with Air China. I want to take my skis with me as I will be there for at least 2 years and going to New Zealand too. Thing is there doesn't seem to be one definite answer to my question when I look through their site or call them. My friend from Ireland is on the same flight, and he says he has a 30Kg allowance. Yet when I asked I got told mine was 20kg, and were both seated in economy. After emailing the London office I got an email that said my allowance was 30Kg and I could include the skis as part of the 30Kg allowance. This seemed to clear things up, but then I got a late,late reply from the first time I asked, and this says my allowance was 20Kg and skis would be charged separately. All confusing, and im afraid even if I took the email that stated 30Kg, id still be screwed over at the checking desk.
Why cant all airlines be the same regarding luggage, and print it in plain english, with no small print regarding number of items etc
Grrrrrr sorry to jump on your post with my rant, but I know how you feel.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:51 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crikey
Be careful, had a huge row with a check in clerk in Los Angeles a couple of years ago because Virgins limit is 20kg per bag & 1 bag each.
Despite us only having 2 bags with about 25kg & 1 with 14kg she wanted to charge us excess baggage even though we were well under our aggregate allowance but in 3 bags not 5 - needless to say with the ex-gestapo agents that work in airports around the world I lost & ended up re-packing my bags in the check in hall to balance them out.

Funnily enough I have just e-mailed Singapore airlines to ask them to confirm that we can have double allowance on our flight to Melbourne on Boxing day - I will post their reply on here.
Bear in mind that if you travel through the USA you are subject to a piece system not an overall weight system.

VS's normal baggage policy when travelling LHR to SYD for example is 23kg economy and 30kg Upper regardless of how many pieces. Route though the USA though and then you have 2 pieces of luggage weighing no more than 23kg each. 30 in Upper.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

cheza is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey all,

I'm quite new to the site but it seems everyone is having the same problems as I am. Me and my partner have booked a flight with Quantas on 20th January and are allowed 23kg each, however we want to take 2 more bags (so 4 bags in total). Does anyone know if Quantas allow extra baggage (free) with an unchecked visa?

We need your help!

Cheryl
Old Nov 29th 2009, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

SideshowJack is an unknown quantity at this point

Best thing is to check the website and lok there, or find a contact number or email and ask them directly. If it's good news, get it in writing or print it off, as proof. If they do charge it might be cheaper to upgrade etc

After all the questions I had, I got to the airport and nothing was said. Set of skis, a suitcase and hand luggage, no problem. same with my friend, who had a lot more, and heavier. Must have been a good day for the staff and we got lucky.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 9:03 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheza
Hey all,

I'm quite new to the site but it seems everyone is having the same problems as I am. Me and my partner have booked a flight with Quantas on 20th January and are allowed 23kg each, however we want to take 2 more bags (so 4 bags in total). Does anyone know if Quantas allow extra baggage (free) with an unchecked visa?

We need your help!

Cheryl
Qantas do sometimes offer a migrant fare, costs more but gives you more baggage. Otherwise no, they don't offer extra to migrants. Best bet is to send the excess with www.wedelivertheworld.co.uk Excess Baggage Coi or someone similar.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

nailbite is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by crikey
here's SIA's answer -

Thank you for your e-mail.

Please be advised that, if you hold an unused / unstamped migrant visa that specifically states that you are permitted to remain in Australia Indefinitely, then you will be entitled to double baggage allowance (40 kilos), on production of that visa at check-in. You can have as many items of luggage as you wish providing no one single item of baggage exceeds 32 kilos in weight. This is a health and safety requirement.

If you are not holding the correct visa, then you will be entitled to the standard free checked baggage allowance of 20 kilos per passenger (adults and children aged 2 years and above).

For reference, passengers holding Australian passports, Spouse or Provisional/Temporary/Work Visas, or visas that have already been stamped, will not be eligible for double baggage allowance.

I hope this information helps.

Thank you for choosing Singapore Airlines.

Yours Sincerely,

SIA UK

had a look on Emirates site but it isn't clear, does not specifically state one bag either though so should be ok.
We have been given from Singapore Airlines only 10kg per person on unstamped visas - looks like it depends whom you ask