Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Flight - who enjoys the long haul experience?

Wikiposts

The Flight - who enjoys the long haul experience?

Old Oct 1st 2003, 10:59 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pollyana
Thought I was alone in this till I read your post! I love it! The whole experience is great (usually - only had one really bad trip).
I can quite happily go the whole way across the world with a series of beer cans in one hand and a book in the other. always get the aisle seat so I can roam around without disturbing people - and can get more beer easily! I usually find the jet lag worse coming to the UK - though I'm not sure whether its really jet lag or just that I don't want to being flying back to here.

And the answers -
Take Off - feel that thrust!
Singapore so far - but doing Hong Kong this trip for the first time, just for a few hours.
Qantas
Beef
Lego or plastic models of the aircraft!

By the way - 6 hours or so in Hong Kong. Does anyone know if they do any quick tours into the city or anything? I know some airports do that kind of thing.
You can get the train to the end of the line (very quick efficient and with seat back TVs). They even help you with your luggage to get on board. From there you can get a bus to the bottom of victoria peak and take the funicular up to the top. THe views are spectacular. Near the bottom of the peak there are a few shopping centres that are worth a look at especially if you like gadgets.

By the time you have done that it is time to jump back on the train (you can check in at the station) at be back at the airport.

The airport itself is very efficient and is one giant hallway. Very spectacular. Tours tend to be pricey and it is more fun doing all that stuff.

I spent 4 days there on the way to OZ last year.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

chris hogan is an unknown quantity at this point

PETEY

Paid in full with my Parents.Ours was probably one of the last passenger sailings from aus.Italian ship,plenty of English passengers though.I was 10 years old and will remember it 'til I
meet my maker

Last edited by chris hogan; Oct 1st 2003 at 11:06 am.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

I'm flying home on saturday via Singapore. We're staying a day there.
I've got 2 kids aged 4 and 2. They are both 99% guaranteed to play up on the flight. They are both very active and won't like being cooped up.

I am terrified of flying in spite of abundant practice.

We're flying with Singapore Airlines as they were the only airline that could 100% guarantee all their planes had the seat back entertainment. With the nippers we felt we could probably buy as much as 60 minutes extra peace with one of those gadgets.

I'm really not looking forward to it, though I am looking forward to a day in Singapore and a month at home.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 12:09 pm

Originally posted by RichS
I'm flying home on saturday via Singapore. We're staying a day there.
I've got 2 kids aged 4 and 2. They are both 99% guaranteed to play up on the flight. They are both very active and won't like being cooped up.

I am terrified of flying in spite of abundant practice.

We're flying with Singapore Airlines as they were the only airline that could 100% guarantee all their planes had the seat back entertainment. With the nippers we felt we could probably buy as much as 60 minutes extra peace with one of those gadgets.

I'm really not looking forward to it, though I am looking forward to a day in Singapore and a month at home.
The best way of getting through the flight is wine, scotch and water. The movies are generally crap and seats are so uncomfortable. I find a drunken stupor can actually make the experience pleasant and sleep possible. If you miss the water thing the danger is waking up feeling dried out.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

bp - you're right. I flew 19 times between singapore and korea for work in the space of about 8 months for work, and I eventually honed the drinking/film viewing/slumping to perfection, so that a 6 hour flight went a lot quicker.
Red wine was certainly the brew that got the best results. I'm not a fan of shorts, so whiskey didn't really occur to me.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 12:25 pm

Originally posted by RichS
bp - you're right. I flew 19 times between singapore and korea for work in the space of about 8 months for work, and I eventually honed the drinking/film viewing/slumping to perfection, so that a 6 hour flight went a lot quicker.
Red wine was certainly the brew that got the best results. I'm not a fan of shorts, so whiskey didn't really occur to me.
With Singapore airlines I find it best to stay awake the first flight and keep a steady flow of red wine. At Changi, hit the bar to keep the alcohol levels up and prevent pass out. After the meal and more red pass out is then unavoidable and wake up happens a couple of hours from London.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 1:32 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

My scenario -

2 hyperactive 3 year olds flying Brisbane to Brunei (8 hrs) = hell on earth. 3 hr stop over in the airport there = worse than hell on earth as it was way past their bedtime & they couldnt/wouldnt go to sleep. Constant crying/whining/hyperactivity. I called Dagboy from the airport, called him every name under the sun & told him I was never doing it again! Thank god they were so exhausted after the first 11 hrs that they slept for almost all the rest of the way. In fact one of them was asleep before we even took off. There was only a couple of hours of torture to endure before we got to Heathrow after they woke up.

Coming back was almost as bad, especially since we were leaving Dagboy in the UK to pack up the house etc.

I dont do air travel well at the best of times (I usually end up taking tranquillisers otherwise I cant sleep at all), hell on earth is the only way to describe that trip. Dagboy keeps bringing up the subject of a trip back to visit his family (new additions that we havent seen) & he hasnt worked out yet why I keep fobbing his ideas off LOL.

In a nutshell .... I hate it .
Old Oct 1st 2003, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

DaisyNZ is on a distinguished road

HATE IT!!!!! I hated it on my own, hated it with hubby, hated it while pregnant and worse still was with a 13 mth old by myself. YUK. We are definitely doing a one way ticket to the UK next time, for a year or so, I need that long to get over it. I truly can't believe anyone could actually enjoy the experience. dry eyes, crusty nose, sore legs, no sleep, etc etc. lucky anyone who likes all that!!!
Old Oct 1st 2003, 2:07 pm

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
My scenario -

2 hyperactive 3 year olds flying Brisbane to Brunei (8 hrs) = hell on earth. 3 hr stop over in the airport there = worse than hell on earth as it was way past their bedtime & they couldnt/wouldnt go to sleep. Constant crying/whining/hyperactivity. I called Dagboy from the airport, called him every name under the sun & told him I was never doing it again! Thank god they were so exhausted after the first 11 hrs that they slept for almost all the rest of the way. In fact one of them was asleep before we even took off. There was only a couple of hours of torture to endure before we got to Heathrow after they woke up.

Coming back was almost as bad, especially since we were leaving Dagboy in the UK to pack up the house etc.

I dont do air travel well at the best of times (I usually end up taking tranquillisers otherwise I cant sleep at all), hell on earth is the only way to describe that trip. Dagboy keeps bringing up the subject of a trip back to visit his family (new additions that we havent seen) & he hasnt worked out yet why I keep fobbing his ideas off LOL.

In a nutshell .... I hate it .
Oooh the Royal Brunei cheapy. I came over to OZ the first time with them. I like the Islamic prayers before take off but the lack of alchohol disturbed me.

I stopped off there for 3 days. Realised it was expensive and boring. The youth hostel was booked out so I had to pay a fortune for a hotel (wiped out a weeks budget for a scuzzpacker). I got a boat to Kota Kinabalu and had a ball. I flew back from Kinabalu to Brunei for the equivalent of 30 GBP.

I would definately go back to kinabalu and go into the jungle and maybe climb the mountain.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 2:24 pm
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
Oooh the Royal Brunei cheapy. I came over to OZ the first time with them. I like the Islamic prayers before take off but the lack of alchohol disturbed me.

I stopped off there for 3 days. Realised it was expensive and boring. The youth hostel was booked out so I had to pay a fortune for a hotel (wiped out a weeks budget for a scuzzpacker). I got a boat to Kota Kinabalu and had a ball. I flew back from Kinabalu to Brunei for the equivalent of 30 GBP.

I would definately go back to kinabalu and go into the jungle and maybe climb the mountain.
Yep Royal Brunei, we went with them as we flew over 2 days before Xmas & apart from the huge prices with Qantas etc, we couldnt get a flight cos they were fully booked . The lack of alcohol doesnt worry me at all, I dont drink very much anyway & especially not on planes. I saw plenty of people dipping into their dutyfree though. I think I would be more disturbed (& so would the other passengers!) if I drank on the flight . Brunei airport was nothing more than a circle with 3 or 4 gates, we came in one gate, were herded around through*customs* & came out no more than 20 feet from where we got off the plane LOL. We could have walked straight over there again, nothing to stop you but a bit of rope. The 3 dutyfree shops there were interesting, but only took up about 20 mins of the 3 hr stopover . Come to think of it Dubai airport wasnt much different .
Old Oct 1st 2003, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

SeanH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Apropos of take off and landing...

I don't know if anyone else has flown JAL - but they show take off and landing on the screens through a front mounted camera and then all during the flight - on a channel on the seat mounted screens - they have the view for the whole flight from a camera mounted under the plane - shooting down.

It is very cool - and better than a window seat - and handy all through the flight.

Though I guess it wouldnt be so good if the plane was about to crash !!! But then that would probably be the least of your worries !!!

~Sean
Old Oct 1st 2003, 2:35 pm

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Yep Royal Brunei, we went with them as we flew over 2 days before Xmas & apart from the huge prices with Qantas etc, we couldnt get a flight cos they were fully booked . The lack of alcohol doesnt worry me at all, I dont drink very much anyway & especially not on planes. I saw plenty of people dipping into their dutyfree though. I think I would be more disturbed (& so would the other passengers!) if I drank on the flight . Brunei airport was nothing more than a circle with 3 or 4 gates, we came in one gate, were herded around through*customs* & came out no more than 20 feet from where we got off the plane LOL. We could have walked straight over there again, nothing to stop you but a bit of rope. The 3 dutyfree shops there were interesting, but only took up about 20 mins of the 3 hr stopover . Come to think of it Dubai airport wasnt much different .
Something you can do is get out of the airport, get a cab into town and hire a water taxi for a quick trip. Very tight but worth while.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 2:43 pm
Rocket Scientist

Something you can do is get out of the airport, get a cab into town and hire a water taxi for a quick trip. Very tight but worth while.
Bondi, if I were going there again & with Dagboy I would certainly do something like that. But by myself I was flat out even keeping the kids in check. I had a dog tracking harness on one of them because he was a bolter LOL. Dagboy is still harping about doing the trip maybe early next year, so I will keep it in mind

Sean :scared: :scared:
Old Oct 1st 2003, 3:19 pm

Default Re: Apropos of take off and landing...

Originally posted by SeanH
I don't know if anyone else has flown JAL - but they show take off and landing on the screens through a front mounted camera and then all during the flight - on a channel on the seat mounted screens - they have the view for the whole flight from a camera mounted under the plane - shooting down.

It is very cool - and better than a window seat - and handy all through the flight.

Though I guess it wouldnt be so good if the plane was about to crash !!! But then that would probably be the least of your worries !!!

~Sean
Sounds great. I am going with them on the 25th Oct. They put you up in a hotel at Narita for a night.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

SeanH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Apropos of take off and landing...

Yes - they do at either Trade Winds Narita or the Narita Nikko ( think they are the names !! ) - I stayed at both of them - and you get a pretty cool breakfast for nothing too - makes for a relaxing stopover on the way to the US.
Narita airport is pretty cool too - especially with the free internet access at the Yahoo Internet Cafe !!

~Sean

Sounds great. I am going with them on the 25th Oct. They put you up in a hotel at Narita for a night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.