Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Flight - who enjoys the long haul experience?

Wikiposts

The Flight - who enjoys the long haul experience?

Old Oct 1st 2003, 6:40 am
I Love Brisbane !

Brisgal is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile The Flight - who enjoys the long haul experience?

hello,

just wondered how many people enjoy the experience of flying across the world..

Take off or landing
favourite stopover destinations?
your airline of choice?
the beef or the fish?
best duty free item?

I love flying from Oz - Europe although I get really bad jetlag going back to Oz.. must be something with going through ten time zones... takes me a week to recover. I play Solitaire, read books, watch the films, do laps of the cabinand try to sleep...
Flying is one of the most amazing feelings in the world...love it!!

Take Off !!!
my fave stopover is Hong Kong
Qantas
Beef
perfume.... Angel or Knowing plus Bundy Rum for my partner

over to you
Sera
Old Oct 1st 2003, 7:12 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thought I was alone in this till I read your post! I love it! The whole experience is great (usually - only had one really bad trip).
I can quite happily go the whole way across the world with a series of beer cans in one hand and a book in the other. always get the aisle seat so I can roam around without disturbing people - and can get more beer easily! I usually find the jet lag worse coming to the UK - though I'm not sure whether its really jet lag or just that I don't want to being flying back to here.

And the answers -
Take Off - feel that thrust!
Singapore so far - but doing Hong Kong this trip for the first time, just for a few hours.
Qantas
Beef
Lego or plastic models of the aircraft!

By the way - 6 hours or so in Hong Kong. Does anyone know if they do any quick tours into the city or anything? I know some airports do that kind of thing.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 7:24 am
I Love Brisbane !

Originally posted by Pollyana

By the way - 6 hours or so in Hong Kong. Does anyone know if they do any quick tours into the city or anything? I know some airports do that kind of thing.
Hi Pollyanna

I usually go to Hong Kong every year for 4-5 days..I love it!!
As for a tour within 6 hours..mmmmm the airport is about a 30 minute fast train ride from Central Kowloon... I know you can do a quickie city tour in Singapore as a Transit passenger but I'm not sure about Honkers..

here is a link to Hong Kong's International Airport.. there is a transit section.

http://www.hongkongairport.com/

Maybe since you will already have been through customs you won't be able to leave the airport... like I say...check it out..Hong Kong is one of the most amazing cities in the world...esp the view of the Harbour at night.

Cheers
Sera
Old Oct 1st 2003, 7:43 am
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Brisgal
Hi Pollyanna

I usually go to Hong Kong every year for 4-5 days..I love it!!
As for a tour within 6 hours..mmmmm the airport is about a 30 minute fast train ride from Central Kowloon... I know you can do a quickie city tour in Singapore as a Transit passenger but I'm not sure about Honkers..

here is a link to Hong Kong's International Airport.. there is a transit section.

http://www.hongkongairport.com/

Maybe since you will already have been through customs you won't be able to leave the airport... like I say...check it out..Hong Kong is one of the most amazing cities in the world...esp the view of the Harbour at night.

Cheers
Sera

Have never done the long haul without kids in tow. I reckon if I was on my own I would love it, but with the kids and hubby its kinda stressful. I never did read 1 page of my book

Number 1 son suffers really bad airsickness (didn't find out till we were up in the air). Being stuck in your seat for 5hrs+ cause my daughter is asleep with her head in my lap is not much fun. Hubby hate flying cause at 6ft tall its tourture for him.
I saw a woman in the across the isle with a couple of girfriends who had obviously done the trip many times. She pampered herself with potions, lotions, books and drinks the whole way. She looked fresher when she got off than when she got on! Me, I looked like a piece of chewed string!
Despite the airsickness though at least I can say my kids behaved like angels and were considerate to the other passengers and although my son felt very poorly he made as little fuss as possible.

Hong kong - we stopped over there for a few hours. The airport is HUGE. We only had just enough time to find our next gate and grab a glucose something for our son.

Paula
Old Oct 1st 2003, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

sunny_samantha is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Watt Dabney
Have never done the long haul without kids in tow. I reckon if I was on my own I would love it, but with the kids and hubby its kinda stressful. I never did read 1 page of my book

Number 1 son suffers really bad airsickness (didn't find out till we were up in the air). Being stuck in your seat for 5hrs+ cause my daughter is asleep with her head in my lap is not much fun. Hubby hate flying cause at 6ft tall its tourture for him.
I saw a woman in the across the isle with a couple of girfriends who had obviously done the trip many times. She pampered herself with potions, lotions, books and drinks the whole way. She looked fresher when she got off than when she got on! Me, I looked like a piece of chewed string!
Despite the airsickness though at least I can say my kids behaved like angels and were considerate to the other passengers and although my son felt very poorly he made as little fuss as possible.

Hong kong - we stopped over there for a few hours. The airport is HUGE. We only had just enough time to find our next gate and grab a glucose something for our son.

Paula
i've never done long haul WITH kids in tow...however will soon be doing this if/when the visa arrives as we now have a twelve week old baby...should be a fun experience. i've always found that the flight out is so much better than coming back...and the beauty of the oz flight when it happens is that it will be one way!!!!
Old Oct 1st 2003, 7:50 am
I Love Brisbane !

Originally posted by Watt Dabney

Paula
Hi Paula

i commend you and your family...taking that particular flight with children esp unwell ones is extremely difficult. I have sympathised many times with Mums and Dads who do get off the other end in terrible condition.....

Still I bet you wouldn't give em up for quids !!

Hopefully now the newer planes with the seat back entertainment will keep the kids in movies and nintendo for a few hours while you pamper yourself!

cheers
Sera
Old Oct 1st 2003, 8:03 am
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Brisgal
Hi Paula

i commend you and your family...taking that particular flight with children esp unwell ones is extremely difficult. I have sympathised many times with Mums and Dads who do get off the other end in terrible condition.....

Still I bet you wouldn't give em up for quids !!

Hopefully now the newer planes with the seat back entertainment will keep the kids in movies and nintendo for a few hours while you pamper yourself!

cheers
Sera

Funny thing is we specifically chose Cathay Pacific over the others on offer at the time cause they had seat back entertainment. Trouble was on the 1st flight, the one where our son was vomiting every hour, they were broken! Poor lad if he was awake he was vomiting. Hubby tried to clean him up and knocked a cup of apple juice over both of them! poor kid he felt awful.
2nd flight was good though T V's were working and i got an airsickness pill off the stewardess. Which he valiantly took despite having never swallowed a tablet before. Worked a treat and he managed to keep his food down, much to the relief of everyone.

I was so proud of the way he coped though, he must have felt crap but he didn't winge or cry. Its at times like this that all that hard parenting work pays off.

Paula
Old Oct 1st 2003, 8:39 am
Nov 27th 2003: Brisbane

BrisbaneBrummie is an unknown quantity at this point

Q: Take off or landing

A: I shit meself on both......

Q: favourite stopover destinations?

A: As long as we land safely I don't mind if we land on a bloody Aircraft carrier!

Q: your airline of choice?

A: The one that doesn't fall out of the sky!:scared:

Q: the beef or the fish?

A: I like a bit of beef me! ahem.........LOL

Q: best duty free item?

A: If it was FREE i'd be happier......Bundys Rum!

Good thread Sera! Just over an hour of work left for me !!! Ahem......I mean.....I'm working very hard here.........LOL

Last edited by BrisbaneBrummie; Oct 1st 2003 at 8:45 am.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Flying is never fun when you have 3 kids to entertain!
My 3 are hardened travellers and luckily none of them have ever had travel sickness. It is still a challenging thing to do and you can't relax for a minute.

Now if I flew on my own the flight would not bother me at all- I would probably even enjoy it. Pamper myself with Clarins intensive moisturiser etc etc. I would probably sleep as well. It is Sod's law that when you want to sleep your children don't and vice versa!!

Only 12 more years to go until I can fly on my own again- not that I am counting
Old Oct 1st 2003, 9:02 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Flight - who enjoys the long haul experience?

Take off or landing

Far prefer landing. The approach is generally longer so you get to see more Take off is exciting though!

favourite stopover destinations?

Only been to KL long haul.....nice airport.

your airline of choice?

Only malaysian at the mo. Trying Sing air later this year though.

the beef or the fish?

The fish.

best duty free item?

Cameras and computers !!
Old Oct 1st 2003, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Copperben is an unknown quantity at this point

I loathe flying long haul - I get fidgety and sooo uncomfortable - roll on the day when I can fly business class!!!

The only good thing is I can sleep standing up so tend to have a few red wines and go to sleep. When I flew back to England I flew via Hong Kong just as the SARS epidemic was finishing and the plane was half empty got 4 seats to myself - heaven!!

But Hong Kong to London was cramped - the most annoying thing on the plane has to be the little plane that shows you where you are in the world - you get to the edge of Europe and it takes ages to get to London!!

I much prefer takeoff -

My Favourite stopover was Dubai airport - amazing it had chandaliers(sp?).

Cathay Pacific are good to fly with

Definately the beef - fish for breakfast no thanks!

Duty free - cosmetics and of course cheap ciggies!
Old Oct 1st 2003, 9:39 am
Just Joined

jscott is an unknown quantity at this point

Would love to be able to enjoy flying but think I am doomed to die everytime I get on a plane - have to put a brave face on for my 2 kids.

Like Malaysian cause they fly direct from Man to KL, only a 2 hour wait and then into Sydney.

On last trip Hubby hurt back so could hardly walk - I must have looked a right idiot at KL trying to get 2 kids off plane (aged 2 and 4) at 11.00 at night along with rucksack, camcorder, 2 kids suitcases (those pull along things) and a carrier bag containing 3 pics of Sydney. Aren't those aisles narrow! Hubby managed to hobble into airport (carrying absolutely sweet FA) and then had to lie down for the 2 hours wait, I then I had to get it all back on the next plane...........

Gone are the days when I could turn up with a little handbag and a few goodies for myself.....

It would have to be fish - already a mad cow....

Jaqui

Old Oct 1st 2003, 9:53 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I don't usually watch the films, so I tend to keep the seatback screen set to the map with the little plane on. I still find it fascinating to see where we are and who we are flying over. And every time we get to the coast of Australia I never fail to be amazed by the distance still to cover to get to the east coast - the country is just so BIG!!
Old Oct 1st 2003, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

chris hogan is an unknown quantity at this point

Most hated all the kids laughing at me as ALL FLYING absolutley
terrifies me:scared: :scared: .favourite ,reaching destination in one piece(all of us of course).We sailed back to U.K last time,absolutely fantastic best 6 weeks of my life Lots of seasickness though especially Great Australian bight
Old Oct 1st 2003, 10:43 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by chris hogan
Most hated all the kids laughing at me as ALL FLYING absolutley
terrifies me:scared: :scared: .favourite ,reaching destination in one piece(all of us of course).We sailed back to U.K last time,absolutely fantastic best 6 weeks of my life Lots of seasickness though especially Great Australian bight
Did you pay, or work your passage?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.