Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is the flight really that bad?

Is the flight really that bad?

Old Mar 9th 2006, 10:55 am
playing the angel

tinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond repute
Question Is the flight really that bad?

Well, it's just under 3 weeks until we validate our visas.

None of our family have ever flown to Australia before, and the thought of the flight is turning me into a nervous wreck.

All I seem to hear at the moment is "it's a long way you know", and I'm really beginning to dread the thought of sitting on a plane for 20+ hours.

Do any of you who have already done the flight have any good advice or experiences to share to put my mind at rest? Or should I just get rat arsed in the departure lounge.

thanks everyone

Tracey xx
Old Mar 9th 2006, 11:04 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the flight really that bad?

Relax. Yes it can be boring at times but you sleep, you eat, you read, you watch rubbish on the TV, you argue with the other half and the kids and you get off and it's all over
Old Mar 9th 2006, 11:05 am

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tinkerbell

None of our family have ever flown to Australia before, and the thought of the flight is turning me into a nervous wreck.

All I seem to hear at the moment is "it's a long way you know", and I'm really beginning to dread the thought of sitting on a plane for 20+ hours.

Do any of you who have already done the flight have any good advice or experiences to share to put my mind at rest? Or should I just get rat arsed in the departure lounge.

thanks everyone

Tracey xx
I am not saying the flight is great but to be honest I started to feel like you are feeling yet the first time I ever flew to Australia on landing we were like blimey that was ok, if we had know it wasn't that bad we would have done it before. Dont get rat assed I think that is about the worst thing you can do and you will feel like absolute shit half way into the journey, take it from someone that knows
Old Mar 9th 2006, 11:06 am

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Relax. Yes it can be boring at times but you sleep, you eat, you read, you watch rubbish on the TV, you argue with the other half and the kids and you get off and it's all over
lol, so we are not the only family that argue for almost half of the journey then
Old Mar 9th 2006, 11:07 am
jib
BE Enthusiast

jib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nice

Originally Posted by moneypen20
you get off and it's all over

Yes, the mile high club
Old Mar 9th 2006, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chattyshazza
lol, so we are not the only family that argue for almost half of the journey then
no we're the same and shoot daggers at each other every hour or so.

best thing is to try and sleep - believe me I never sleep on a plane - only get pretend shut eye, but last year I was ill - first time ever I was sick on a plane and I eventually fell asleep for nearly 6 hours, felt great once we arrived in Perth
Old Mar 9th 2006, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Greg, Michele and Bella is a jewel in the roughGreg, Michele and Bella is a jewel in the roughGreg, Michele and Bella is a jewel in the roughGreg, Michele and Bella is a jewel in the rough

thanks everyone

Tracey xx
It is nowhere near as bad as people would have you believe. I always dread it and am pleasantly surprised. Take a book and ideally some music with you
Old Mar 9th 2006, 11:10 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Don't get rat-arsed, alcohol will make the flight worse. It's not so bad anyway I don't think. Make sure you get up and walk along the plane a bit. I spent a fair bit of time stood by the galley or the emergency door literally stretching my legs. Drink lots of water.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 11:13 am
Sharks out of the Pool

mick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond repute

thanks everyone

Tracey xx
It's an absolute doddle - you get a lot more leg room than short haul flights.
Going there is fun and seems to go quite quickly, Coming back is an absolute nightmare. Theres plenty to keep you occupied - although it feels like they are trying to fatten you up with the number of times they feed you.

If you haven't flown 10+ hours at a time - it's probably best to do a stopoff either in Singapore or Bangkok and have a night at a hotel. You can get your luggage flown on to Aus and collect it the following day.
Regards
Old Mar 9th 2006, 11:14 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mick_newcastle
If you haven't flown 10+ hours at a time - it's probably best to do a stopoff either in Singapore or Bangkok and have a night at a hotel. You can get your luggage flown on to Aus and collect it the following day.
Regards
Or fly with Emirates for 3 x 7-ish hour hops instead of 2 x 10-ish hour hops.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 11:17 am
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute

I am like you totally dreading it, not for the length of the trip or anything like that, flying really doesnt bother me, just the fact I am travelling with my 6 & 2 year old, 6 year old will be totally fine, as she is an angel, but the child of the devil is a different story!!

Cant imagine him sitting still and being good for that length of time!! Sure we will get through it, already got loads of tips from here about trying to keep him occupied so will be trying those!!

To be honest my husband said if he is that bad we will just leave him in Singapore and carry on the rest of the flight without him and then just pick him up on the way back, (well maybe!!)!!
Old Mar 9th 2006, 11:18 am
playing the angel

tinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond repute

ahh, thanks guys, feeling a bit better.

when I say "rat arsed", my rat arsed consists of 2 glasses of lager and I'm anybodies!!

will definitely take all your suggestions on board.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 11:18 am
Sharks out of the Pool

mick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Is the flight really that bad?

Originally Posted by mick_newcastle
It's an absolute doddle - you get a lot more leg room than short haul flights.
Going there is fun and seems to go quite quickly, Coming back is an absolute nightmare. Theres plenty to keep you occupied - although it feels like they are trying to fatten you up with the number of times they feed you.

Regards
P.S - I smoke and managed the full trip without even thinking about it - worst thing was when I got to sydney you have to clear customs (took about 90 minutes), before I could have a cigarette.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 11:21 am
Sharks out of the Pool

Originally Posted by toon williams
I am like you totally dreading it, not for the length of the trip or anything like that, flying really doesnt bother me, just the fact I am travelling with my 6 & 2 year old, 6 year old will be totally fine, as she is an angel, but the child of the devil is a different story!!

Cant imagine him sitting still and being good for that length of time!! Sure we will get through it, already got loads of tips from here about trying to keep him occupied so will be trying those!!

To be honest my husband said if he is that bad we will just leave him in Singapore and carry on the rest of the flight without him and then just pick him up on the way back, (well maybe!!)!!
Just tranquilise them with cough medicine or vallium lol

Most Parents with kids seemed to have some kind of medication thing going on with there kids - brilliant Idea for us with none
Old Mar 9th 2006, 11:21 am
playing the angel

Originally Posted by toon williams

funny that, I too have a child of the devil,

I know that when we get on board, I'll be sat trying to implement the Geneva war convention when my 11 year old decides to take on the 8 year old, and my other half will be sat nice and comfy with his headphones on, checking out the stewardesses.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.