Flight luggage

Old Jan 4th 2007, 5:17 am
True Blue

ectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really nice
Default Flight luggage

Hello all,

Arranging flights for my family and I to move to Melbourne on 22Feb. Do we have to inform the airline or travel agent that we are migrants in order to get the 40kg luggage allowance ? Can the 40kgs be in one suitcase or split between 2 or more ? And how are people taking car child seats with them ?

Advice most welcome.

Thanks.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flight luggage

Hi, although I’m not an expect on the subject, I would have thought the most logical thing would be to get something in writing from your airline or travel agent that you are entitled to 40kgs, so you can present this at check in, as I know there are people who have had problems, especially stopovers on route.

As for the 40kg in one bag, the answer is no, as the maximum weight is 32kg for health and safety reasons.

I’m sure someone else will be along soon to clarify.

Hope you get it sorted.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 11:04 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ectomorph
Hello all,

Arranging flights for my family and I to move to Melbourne on 22Feb. Do we have to inform the airline or travel agent that we are migrants in order to get the 40kg luggage allowance ? Can the 40kgs be in one suitcase or split between 2 or more ? And how are people taking car child seats with them ?

Advice most welcome.

Thanks.
Ask the airline if they allow the 40kg allowance as most now will not allow it.
If they do, get it in writing otherwise you will be up for excess weight costs and a protracted argument at checkin.
If they will allow it would be better to split the load for
a) you have to carry it, and
b) the airline staff may refuse to handle the single 40kg suitcase under Workplace Health & Safety and you would then have to find another suitcase and split it.

Car seats will have to go in the hold with the likes of strollers, wheelchairs etc. However, as they will not comply with Australian Safety Standards, they would technically be illegal, as the anchor points can differ in Australian vehicles.

Last edited by The Bloke; Jan 4th 2007 at 11:07 am.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

southstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nice

Singapore Airlines still do the 40kg luggage for migrants. They will email you confirmation no problem. Don't think they will do it though if you are making a stopover though. Car seats go in the hold and as far as I am aware they don't count towards your allowance. They may be illegal but I would rather risk 3 points on my licence and have my child safe until You can get round to buying an Aussie one. It depends on the child's weight whether or not the seats require the extra anchorage (or so the RACQtold us) ie the ones for say 18 - 26kg don't need them, so she reckoned our UK ones would be alright. Have yet to confirm this with Queensland Transport though.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 3:36 pm
True Blue

ectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really nice

Good advice, thanks everyone
Old Jan 4th 2007, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

paulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nice

Fantastic thread - we are moving to the Gold Coast in February and was thinking of taking two car seats however if they wont fit it would be a waste of time! Thanks again and I will check with the Transport Dept.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

We flew with Singapore and were allowed 40kgs each, but don't go even slightly over that as I was in tears at the airport trying to get rid of stuff as we were over the allowance! You can take car seats on the plane with you for little children to sit in strapped to the plane seat if you want to. You can still have a stopover with the extra allowance, we stayed in Singapore for 4 nights and left the luggage (six cases, car seat) at the airport for a small charge.
Hope this helps

Jo
Old Jan 4th 2007, 9:23 pm
True Blue

My wife called flightcenter to make the booking, flying from Calgary to Melbourne via Los Angles and the woman said that we were allowed 64kg each !! 2 x 32kgs, not sure I trust that. Anyone had any similar information from their travel agent ?
Old Jan 5th 2007, 1:42 am
True Blue

Ok, just got back from booking our flights and indeed, we (in our case) are allowed 2 x 32kgs pieces of luggage each, even got her to print it out. This is with quantas.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, just got back from booking our flights and indeed, we (in our case) are allowed 2 x 32kgs pieces of luggage each, even got her to print it out. This is with quantas.
Hi glad you got it sorted out ok. I seem to recall from previous posts that if you fly via the States then you are allowed the extra allowance.

Have a good flight.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 1:50 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

My wife called flightcenter to make the booking, flying from Calgary to Melbourne via Los Angles and the woman said that we were allowed 64kg each !! 2 x 32kgs, not sure I trust that. Anyone had any similar information from their travel agent ?
Thats right, the baggage allowance via the US is larger.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 1:59 am
True Blue

Didnt realize that, but good to find this out Just need to catch a big cab when we get to Melbourne
Old Jan 6th 2007, 1:27 pm
Dreams can come true :)

Babycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassie
Hi, although I’m not an expect on the subject, I would have thought the most logical thing would be to get something in writing from your airline or travel agent that you are entitled to 40kgs, so you can present this at check in, as I know there are people who have had problems, especially stopovers on route.

As for the 40kg in one bag, the answer is no, as the maximum weight is 32kg for health and safety reasons.

I’m sure someone else will be along soon to clarify.

Hope you get it sorted.
My friend left on the 4th Jan for Melbourne and was refused the 40kg by Singapore Airlines
Old Jan 6th 2007, 2:04 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Babycatcher
My friend left on the 4th Jan for Melbourne and was refused the 40kg by Singapore Airlines
Was it a one-way ticket, permanent visa, and had she asked the airline in advance, or was she just refused at the arport?
Old Jan 6th 2007, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

paulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nice

Originally Posted by Babycatcher
Had they already validated their visas? Which airport were they refused at? Also did they book direct with Singapore Airlines? Sorry about all the questions!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.