Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

In flight entertainment

In flight entertainment

Old Apr 3rd 2004, 11:15 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default In flight entertainment

With the tightening of airport and in flight security I was wondering if there are any restrictions now placed on what you carry in the cabin.

Thinking of laptops, mini disk players, hard drive players, personal cassette players and CD players.

Thanks.
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Laptops, games CD players are all OK. Laptops mostly need to be removed from their cases when passing through security, but at least they have now stopped the requirement of you having to take the battery out when they scan it.

Only restriction in place is on knives, scissors and other sharp objects.

I guess this leaves knitters and darts players without a lot to do!
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 12:10 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Trevglas
Laptops, games CD players are all OK. Laptops mostly need to be removed from their cases when passing through security, but at least they have now stopped the requirement of you having to take the battery out when they scan it.

Only restriction in place is on knives, scissors and other sharp objects.

I guess this leaves knitters and darts players without a lot to do!
What about Bix's tongue? Thats a dangerous weapon
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 12:22 pm
Hello from Brisbane

irishmolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you allowed to use personal CD players and Gameboy on flights ? I thought they are deemed to be lazer operated items and so not to be used - perhaps I am wrong but please advise as I for one would like to use my personal CD player on the long haul to Brisbane and the kids would be keep amused with the Gameboy.
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by irishmolly
Are you allowed to use personal CD players and Gameboy on flights ? I thought they are deemed to be lazer operated items and so not to be used - perhaps I am wrong but please advise as I for one would like to use my personal CD player on the long haul to Brisbane and the kids would be keep amused with the Gameboy.

Gameboy and cd players are fine. Not sure if laptops with built in wifi have a problem. ALways best to check with the airline as the rules do vary.
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 1:50 pm
Put big light on!

Sausage is an unknown quantity at this point

Problem with laptops is that their batteries generally only last 2 to 3 hours. So, u wouldn't get all that much joy out of it on a long haul flight to Oz/NZ.

I might take a gameboy advance to occupy me when I fly over. Although, I will feel a tad embarrassed being a 35 year old playing with a kids toy.

Maybe a good alternative would be a PDA with some decent games installed. Probably more battery life too.
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 2:49 pm
Paddington Brisbane

BKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the rough

Hi Irish Molly,

You can use CD players and Gameboys just not when taking off and landing.
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 2:56 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally posted by Sausage
Problem with laptops is that their batteries generally only last 2 to 3 hours. So, u wouldn't get all that much joy out of it on a long haul flight to Oz/NZ.

I might take a gameboy advance to occupy me when I fly over. Although, I will feel a tad embarrassed being a 35 year old playing with a kids toy.

Maybe a good alternative would be a PDA with some decent games installed. Probably more battery life too.

We took our laptop and watched DVD's on it. The battery life was about fours hours (long enough for one movie) and we charged it up at the airport when we changed flights. Just an idea, meant we could watch two movies rather than one, as well as watching a movie on our SEVEN hour stopover (which was a right pain!)