Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

flight with the children

flight with the children

Old Nov 27th 2005, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

neiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to all
Default flight with the children

hi.
we are looking at going to vaidate visas early to mid 2006 does anyone have any advice for the flight with 3 children under seven it will be the first flight for my 4 year old twins :scared: :scared:
Old Nov 27th 2005, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice
Default Re: flight with the children

Originally Posted by neiluk
hi.
we are looking at going to vaidate visas early to mid 2006 does anyone have any advice for the flight with 3 children under seven it will be the first flight for my 4 year old twins :scared: :scared:

Hi, I started a similar thread called "child friendly airlines" there were quite a few goods ideas on that.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

neiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by woogle
Hi, I started a similar thread called "child friendly airlines" there were quite a few goods ideas on that.
hi thanks for that will have a look
Old Nov 27th 2005, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

cammym is a jewel in the roughcammym is a jewel in the roughcammym is a jewel in the roughcammym is a jewel in the rough

hi.
Hi

We flew out to Sydney last October with Two girls 6 and 4 and little boy 18 months.
We left Heathrow for KL at 10pm and by 12midnight they were all asleep for around 8 hours!!
We made the mistake of then flying straight on from KL to Sydney, which was a bit of a nightmare as it was daytime - their time, but nightime - KL time.

The way back was similar.

We fly out again on 24th Jan and are stopping for a 10 day break in Penang, with two nightime flights, so hopefuly all will be well.

Hope this helps

Cam
Old Nov 27th 2005, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cammym
Hi

We flew out to Sydney last October with Two girls 6 and 4 and little boy 18 months.
We left Heathrow for KL at 10pm and by 12midnight they were all asleep for around 8 hours!!
We made the mistake of then flying straight on from KL to Sydney, which was a bit of a nightmare as it was daytime - their time, but nightime - KL time.

The way back was similar.

We fly out again on 24th Jan and are stopping for a 10 day break in Penang, with two nightime flights, so hopefuly all will be well.

Hope this helps

Cam
hi cam
thanks for that i think from what we have been told we shall try and do night time flights and try and keep the kids in there sleeping pattern.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 4:06 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

hi.
We took a bag of toys and plenty of bribes! Oh and got a night flight so they slept quite a bit.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Nov 27th 2005, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stitch
We took a bag of toys and plenty of bribes! Oh and got a night flight so they slept quite a bit.

Cheers

Ginny
this reminds of when i first took my son to australia - he was 5 at the time. i had everything planned, a bag full of treats, books and puzzles etc. we flew singapore air - they were and still are brilliant btw, well I was bloody knackered halfway into the flight and little sonny boy wasn't - he was too hyper. all he did was get up and go to the toilet - something in there impressed him obviously. the stafff were brilliant with him - lots of attention - he was constantly in the galley chatting them up!

eventually he sat back down and i wanted to sleep (naturally) - did he - did he ever. so we arrrived in singapore, me looking panda eyed and exhausted - and so did my son, he was pale and needed knock out drops. we got back on the plane to sydney and as soon as he was in his seat he was out like a light - bliss or what he slept the whole way. only trouble was when we got to sydney he was wide awake.

(he's a lot better now btw at the grand old age of 10
Old Nov 27th 2005, 5:48 pm
A modern day warrior

Tom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond repute

Virgin Atlantic LHR-HKG-SYD is one of the quickest routes, (only 1.5hrs on ground in HKG) and the onboard stuff for kids is good as well. Loads of kids video games and some kids films / TV, and usally they get a kids pack on boarding, colouring book, crayons etc. Can also book kids meals.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

hi.

Hope your kids like video games, our 6 year old was kept amused by the in flight entertainment console in front of him, had to drag him off it to get him to go to sleep. I'd say how good bad the flight is depends on your kids, our son loves reading and video games, so he was easy to keep quiet. Good luck and I hope it's not too stressful
Old Nov 27th 2005, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Hope your kids like video games, our 6 year old was kept amused by the in flight entertainment console in front of him, had to drag him off it to get him to go to sleep. I'd say how good bad the flight is depends on your kids, our son loves reading and video games, so he was easy to keep quiet. Good luck and I hope it's not too stressful
thanks to you all
eldest loves his video games so that should be ok but my twins boys are into everything so god knows what they will get up too we are going to perth so we thought we could stop in dubia for a couple of days well that is the plan anyway lol we will see
Old Nov 27th 2005, 7:47 pm
arrived perth sept 06

kgray has a brilliant futurekgray has a brilliant futurekgray has a brilliant futurekgray has a brilliant futurekgray has a brilliant futurekgray has a brilliant future

hi.

my little girl has flown to oz 3 times now and each time i worried about how she would be! she was 1year old the first time, and i hate flying, thought she would pick up on that, but she was fine! then she flew again to oz at 2yrs i was worried about the "terrible twos"...... but again she was fine, then again at 4yrs to validate our visas, this time she watched the timon and pumbar movie from [from lion king] all the way to kuala lumpar and then again from there to perth, she was in heaven, never seen so much tv in 2 days!!! i just think try and stay calm[ i found this difficult with hating flying] buy loads of new small toys, that they havent seen before, give them to them over a period of time not all at once, my little one loved her mini etch a sketch from tescos £4.99 saves taking loads of paper and pencils! and dont worry about them making a bit of noise they are kids after all, if any one complains give them your best paddington bear stare!!! i have flown with emirates, malaysian and singapore airlines and they were all really good with the kids, my best advise DONT PANIC!! about it, its only a day out of your whole life. by the way i also took loads of nibbles, kids always want to eat when everyone else has finished and cleared away, just make sure you dont give them loads of e numbers to make them hyper! you can always dump what you dont eat in the bins provided at the airport at oz.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

stokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant future

Anyone flown with a five month old baby and got any advice to share?

A couple of questions we are looking for answers on ...

Are you allowed in Business Class with a baby?

We are thinking about breaking up the journey by staying in Dubai and Singapore before flying on to Melbourne. Is this a good idea or would it be better to do it in one hit?
Old Nov 27th 2005, 8:21 pm
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

hi.
I've done long haul with mine ever since he was 6 months....all kids are different, and mine always sleeps most of the way. BA/Quantas ARE NOT at all child friendly in my experience!! Would never fly with them again with little ones! Singapore and Malaysian are fab! Oh don't woryr about ya twins...I bet they will absolutely love the whole experience. Mind you, I've never flown with three kids before!!!! I'll just stick to the one!!!!

Good luck.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of light

The first time our son flew to Sydney he was four and loved the flight, he thought having your own T.V. was fantastic, I packed a bag with some little presents for him and he opened one every couple of hours, so he had something new, but it wasn't really needed and then we have come to Perth and he is now 6 and fly just as well as the first time. Singapore Airlines really good. We didn't do a stop-over thought it would make it all too long.
We left at 12noon and arrived 2.30pm which worked well not up too long before sleeping into Australia times, not as much jetlag as the first time when we arrived at 8.30am.Nicola
Old Nov 28th 2005, 6:23 pm
arrived perth sept 06

kgray has a brilliant futurekgray has a brilliant futurekgray has a brilliant futurekgray has a brilliant futurekgray has a brilliant futurekgray has a brilliant future

hi.

i have just thought of something else, i tried the "knock out drops" route with my little girl once, one of the side effects is hyper activity, so if you are tempted to try them make sure you have a trial run beforehand to save chasing your children around the plane! she was actually better off without them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.