Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flight back to UK to inspect property - Claiming tax

Flight back to UK to inspect property - Claiming tax

Old Jun 2nd 2009, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flight back to UK to inspect property - Claiming tax

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The ATO rarely check the same year, it is often a few years later, especially once patterns appear in an individuals tax return.
Yes. They also do "random" checks, where they just pick out any odd return. And they do audits on particular areas, for example self-education claims, motor vehicle claims.

I've got experience of both the UK and the Aus system. And my - purely personal - view is that in the UK you can get away with some very "creative" tax accounting (claiming, not disclosing etc), but here in Aus this is much more limited.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
And my - purely personal - view is that in the UK you can get away with some very "creative" tax accounting (claiming, not disclosing etc), but here in Aus this is much more limited.
I thought the same until I was audited by the IR!

Back in the 1980's/1990's the Chatswood (Sydney) office of the ATO used to have a "squad" of officers who used to drive around the North Shore to see who was having renos done, European cars on the forecourts, pools installed etc. They would then go back to the office and reconcile that to the relevant address's taxable income. Unbelievable but the truth!

What really annoys me now is just how rampant the "black economy" is and yet the ATO seem to turn a blind eye to it. A few years ago I worked for a couple who lived in a $4m home on The Esplanade, Brighton. All this money had been made from selling BBQ chickens! I know for a fact that a good portion of their income never went thru the books. What really wound me up was that they didn't pay the super contributions on behalf of their mostly young, niave workforce.

When we were recently negotiating with builders there were quite a few who "demanded" 20% of the job in cash. (We are talking about a $500k reno!) All well and good for some but if you are a PAYG earner you have very little opportunity to reduce your tax bill
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 7:33 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
Yes. They also do "random" checks, where they just pick out any odd return. And they do audits on particular areas, for example self-education claims, motor vehicle claims.

I've got experience of both the UK and the Aus system. And my - purely personal - view is that in the UK you can get away with some very "creative" tax accounting (claiming, not disclosing etc), but here in Aus this is much more limited.
I must admit, I had more experience with people being caned by the IR, that I have with the ATO. Maybe I was just getting better at my job

Old Jun 6th 2009, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by renth
F**K, I don't know why I pay him sometimes. Come to think of it, each year I have to send the paperwork back to him before lodgement because of some significant error he's made on the tax return.

He sounds almost a shite as our accountant!!