Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flight Advice Please

Flight Advice Please

Old Sep 20th 2010, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

jomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nice
Question Flight Advice Please

Hi Guys
We are moving in July August 2011

A When are flights at their cheapest just before or when they released on sale or any time in between ?
B Is it cheapest to contact airlines direct? or use a search engine to find flights?

We are flying from Ireland and flights are currently coming in around 750.00 euros each (there are 5 of us) Does this seem a good price????

Thanks in Advance

Jo x
Old Sep 20th 2010, 2:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flight Advice Please

Originally Posted by jomac1290 View Post
Hi Guys
We are moving in July August 2011

A When are flights at their cheapest just before or when they released on sale or any time in between ?
B Is it cheapest to contact airlines direct? or use a search engine to find flights?

We are flying from Ireland and flights are currently coming in around 750.00 euros each (there are 5 of us) Does this seem a good price????

Thanks in Advance

Jo x
There's no exact science. My experience has been that the less unsold seats remaining on the plane the more expensive they become. But some airlines offer special deals as the time draws nearer. In your shoes I would wait a bit while keeping a look out for a good deal. You have lots of time yet. If no good deals have come up by about six months before you fly then it's possibly time to begin scouting for the cheapest available.

Good luck!
Old Sep 21st 2010, 1:49 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I'm guessing that fare is for Etihad ex Dublin?

It's probably quite a decent price for what is probably the only one stop routing available to you at a pricey time of year - I wouldn't expect to find a much better price later tbh.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

tam83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to save making a new thread, need some advice as well folks if you wouldn't mind.

I'm flying out on December 29th to be over for new year, staying with family for a couple of months.

Thing is I've got the money to book my flights just now with Qatar airways but that only leaves 1 hour to catch my connecting flight to Melbourne.

If I fly with Emirates it's about £250 more expensive which means probably waiting another month before being able to book with them. Flew with Emirates and Etihad before and both were great, just worried an hour is cutting it very fine for a connecting flight.

Thoughts and advice is welcomed guys
Old Sep 21st 2010, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tam83 View Post
Just to save making a new thread, need some advice as well folks if you wouldn't mind.

I'm flying out on December 29th to be over for new year, staying with family for a couple of months.

Thing is I've got the money to book my flights just now with Qatar airways but that only leaves 1 hour to catch my connecting flight to Melbourne.

If I fly with Emirates it's about £250 more expensive which means probably waiting another month before being able to book with them. Flew with Emirates and Etihad before and both were great, just worried an hour is cutting it very fine for a connecting flight.

Thoughts and advice is welcomed guys
I wouldn't worry - If it's Qatar Airways all the way through and you're happy with the price, etc just go ahead and book. If your flight to Qatar is delayed a bit they'll hold the connecting flight for a while for you to catch up. My dad frequently connects through Qatar and sometimes with only around half an hour to spare. He's not had any problems yet ().
Old Sep 21st 2010, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

tam83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
I wouldn't worry - If it's Qatar Airways all the way through and you're happy with the price, etc just go ahead and book. If your flight to Qatar is delayed a bit they'll hold the connecting flight for a while for you to catch up. My dad frequently connects through Qatar and sometimes with only around half an hour to spare. He's not had any problems yet ().
Thanks, thought that but had read some reviews and they weren't very good

One that stood out was a passenger who missed his connection explained the trouble he had to flight attendants who promised to delay his connecting flight, when he got off the plane nothing had been communicated and nobody in the airport could care less, he even got in touch with the companies CEO who wasn't interested. He ended up having to stump up for another flight.

Don't fancy spending new year in Qatar myself.

But hopefully that was a very extreme case
Old Sep 21st 2010, 10:41 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

If you buy all your flights on a single ticket & the airline is happy to sell you the short connection then you would not have to stump up to buy a new onward connection. The worst that can happen is that you might miss the connection & have to wait for the next available flight - they may or may not hold the flight depending on how many passengers are affected, how long the delay is etc.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 4:19 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

We flew Qatar Manchester to Sri Lanka and had no problems with our connecting flights in Qatar and the airline was no different to flying Emirates. I would fly with them again.

Jo
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 4:26 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

seats are usually cheapest in February and October