Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flexible Working Hours in Oz

Flexible Working Hours in Oz

Old Jul 16th 2004, 8:45 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flexible Working Hours in Oz

Bit of a follow up to a question I did on Holidays, what are Aussie companies like with flexible working hours so that you can help out with the kids school/ nursery.

Ta,

Paul.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flexible Working Hours in Oz

Originally posted by diddy
Bit of a follow up to a question I did on Holidays, what are Aussie companies like with flexible working hours so that you can help out with the kids school/ nursery.

Ta,

Paul.
Its a very differernt employment scene here, casual jobs rule and a lot more people are going for every job than in the UK. They do expect you to be very flexible - in their favour. They have more applicants so dont need to make concessions for employees personal lives. My wife with 3 kids was always asked at interviews what she intended to do with the kids if they got sick and where they would be going to on those occasions. Jobs around school hours unlikely unless you are looking for a lunchtime cafe job or lucky enough to get a job in a school which hundreds would be going for.

Best chance for great working conditions is Government jobs or international companies, competition for these jobs is very high and even they are tending to contract employment not always permanent.
Old Jul 17th 2004, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flexible Working Hours in Oz

Originally posted by diddy

Ta,

Paul.
Depends on what sort of job/employer you have. A lot of larger companies and most public service jobs operate on a flex system so you can work longer hours to build up extra days off or arrive late/leave early. Many years ago, when I did it, I had to be in the office during the core hours of 10-12 and 2-4 (when all meetings were scheduled), otherwise I could start/finish/take lunch whenever I wanted to as long as I did the basic 37.5 hours a week.

Alternatively, you can take a day's annual leave if you need the odd day off for family reasons.