Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

flat packing for shipping?

flat packing for shipping?

Old Sep 28th 2005, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

HugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura about
Default flat packing for shipping?

Hi, I just wondered if those of you who have alreday shipped your things had to flat pack your own stuff, or did the shippers do it, and if the shippers did it, did they charge you extra? All our quotations have written on the back that the firms will not do this, and we have a lot of flat packed stuff!
Just wondering whether to go for a bigger container so that those things can go in as they are?
Thanks everyone,

HB x
Old Sep 28th 2005, 11:07 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: flat packing for shipping?

Malc flatpacked ours mainly to make it easier for packing...
Old Sep 28th 2005, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by HugoB
Hi, I just wondered if those of you who have alreday shipped your things had to flat pack your own stuff, or did the shippers do it, and if the shippers did it, did they charge you extra? All our quotations have written on the back that the firms will not do this, and we have a lot of flat packed stuff!
Just wondering whether to go for a bigger container so that those things can go in as they are?
Thanks everyone,

HB x
Hi we flat packed it ourselves. Some companys include it in the quote just ask them what it includes when they come. We part packed as it made our quote cheaper. We went with ATLANTIS OVERSEAS REMOVALS. £3300 for 20ft container door to door.
Karen x
Old Sep 28th 2005, 2:43 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone,

HB x
We plan to take everything apart ourselves (that way I'll know where the screws and bolts are).

Gina
Old Sep 28th 2005, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

DJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant future

Like you we have loads of flat pack items. We took it all apart ourselves and made sure the screws, bolts, instructions etc were bagged and clearly labelled. Bank coin bags are good for this. The whole lot went in one box with any tools needed to put everything back together. That is the bit I am not looking forward to, having to rebuild everything.

Now we just have to wait and see if it all arrives ok.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 3:07 pm
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

I let the shippers take everything apart. Only probs came at the other end when the unpacking guys were moaning when they couldn't work out how to put an Ikea kids bed back together. After they left, having given up (I couldn't stand the moaning) I found two vital pieces of wood in another room.!!

Other than that, they put everything else back together no probs. All included in the price. £3400 with Crown for 20 ft container.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 3:11 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We are going with John Mason's. They have put in bold what they will take apart - beds. Don't think we have anything else that comes apart anyway. Must go and look
Old Sep 28th 2005, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

HugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for your replies. I can't bear the thought of having to dismantle and reassemble it all ourselves - sounds like a disaster waiting to happen, it was bad enough first time round!
HB x
Old Sep 28th 2005, 11:35 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies. I can't bear the thought of having to dismantle and reassemble it all ourselves - sounds like a disaster waiting to happen, it was bad enough first time round!
HB x

Most good shippers will disassemble and reassemble stuff. However you should think carefully about doing this, a lot of 'flat pack' furniture isn't designed to be taken apart and put back together.

It may be better to ship it intact, especially if you have your own container and space isn't an issue. Otherwise, take a hard look at it and decide if you really want to take it or not. Good quality furniture is always worth taking but not all 'flat pack' stuff falls into this category.

Jeremy
Old Sep 29th 2005, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say it's best to dismantle & reassemble your own flat pack stuff. At least that way you can be sure it's done carefully(ish)
Old Sep 30th 2005, 10:17 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marco121068
I'd say it's best to dismantle & reassemble your own flat pack stuff. At least that way you can be sure it's done carefully(ish)
Crown took the beds to pieces and will put them back together in Aus. They even dismantled a large desk, took it downstairs and reassembled it before putting it on the container.

I dismantled a couple of large pieces of the rest but left smaller pieces intact as there was room on the container.