Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fitting in - Melbourne Style

Fitting in - Melbourne Style

Old Feb 4th 2004, 11:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by loose
Hi -I'm looking for a team to follow in the Aussie rules when I get there. Felt sorry for the Dockers and was gonna follow them cos everyone ignores 'em, but they play in PURPLE. Not a sport colour so they're out of it. Perth connections mean a leaning towards the eagles, (is it the west coast eagles?).

However, team colours mean a lot to me, and as a Bradford City fan in England we have the weirdest kit of all - Claret and Amber stripes!!! Any team in Oz wear colours anywhere near this????

Brisbane Lions come closest to BCFC colours.

OzTennis
Old Feb 5th 2004, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

jezdavies is an unknown quantity at this point

Those games in Darwin are great to watch. The Aboriginal players are very exciting. You'll find in the Darwin league there's very little physical contact but it's very exciting.

The Australian soccer league is terrible. Anyone half decent is shipped off to Europe when they're 15.

The AFL crowds are different as they don't sing. Singing at sports is just not an Australian thing. But they are very loud. Seeing there's always something happening there isn't much time to sing. Having been to a few Liverpool games over here while they weren't winning (and therefore not singing much and yelling instead) I found it similar to that. Fremantle only draw about 24,000 to home games so the atmosphere isn't as good. West Coast fill Subiaco Oval with about 38,000. The crowd hasn't been as loud there in the last couple of years for some reason.

The size of the ground probably does mean the atmosphere is affected a bit but not a hell of a lot. The Telstra Dome in Melbourne is great and the MCG is amazing when there's at least 45,000 people (even if when that amount of people means it's only half full). But Subiaco is good. Football Park in Adelaide is great too.

One thing that will strike you is that there is no crowd segregation. I'm an Essendon fan and go to the games with mates who support arch rivals like Collingwood and Carlton and sit next to them. Most of the banter is just humourous and enjoyable. And there is rarely any trouble at all. The fans let the players do the fighting. Can you imagine a Spurs fan sitting with his Gunners supporting mate at Highbury?!
Old Feb 5th 2004, 1:15 am
Re mem mem member

loose will become famous soon enough

Yeah I'm looking forward to watching a few games in Darwin. my girlfriend went to watch some kind of big exhibition game last night actually, She'll be updating me on that tonight with a bit of luck. The aboriginal players were exciting yeah, and though not as big were totally fearless. Although I reckon anyone playing at that kind of level fit that criteria.

The crowds sound great, and mixing at games is a great idea. Unfortunately its not something that happens here, but thats our loss! The crowd numbers are pretty impressive too. What about ticket prices, are they variable?
Old Feb 5th 2004, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

Last time I went to a game the ticket prices were about $17.50 for an adult (£7). The games in Darwin will cost next to nothing. But be warned that in the Northern Territory you're only allowed to take in two slabs (cases of 24 beers) into the ground!

If you're going to games regularly buy a membership (season ticket) for the club you support. It'll work out cheaper in the end. Memberships are ridiculously cheap if you compare them to Premier League season tickets. Also there are virtually never waiting lists for memberships. I'd suggest going to http://www.afl.com.au for info on memberships. From there you can go to both the Fremantle and West Coast official websites. I think you click on the club's logo on the top of the screen.

I think Fremantle play Essendon in a pre-season cup match in Darwin in a few weeks. Keep an eye out for that.
Old Feb 5th 2004, 1:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.australiansportsdiary.com.au

OzTennis
Old Feb 5th 2004, 1:38 am
Re mem mem member

loose will become famous soon enough

Cheers for all this, I'll definately check that site out.

Chuffed with price of tickets too, compared to prices here thats fantastic. (though I've only paid for city a couple of times this year - tapped in mates box a few times, and another mate gets free tickets for doing the announcements etc at half time - maybe he could get a job at Subiaco)

Just 2 slabs of beer each eh!!! That a bit mean of 'em! LOL

Might bug you again soon for more info mate, its been a hoot!!

Cheers again!

Old Feb 5th 2004, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

You're more than welcome to drill information out of me about footy in the future. I love talking about it. It's been a pleasure 'educating' your good self on the game.
Old Feb 5th 2004, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

MrsTurbo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by OzTennis
Too true about how good a bit of footy trivia is and that you don't see it much on here. My theory is that when the new migrant finally gets into the footy they are part way to getting over homesickness and are starting to settle in - so they don't post on the site anymore. I think there are a lot of 'closet' footy lovers from abroad who won't admit publicly how much they like the game!

Interesting story about Dermie. Do you remember how the lady bought him a Porsche and I think he was the first to play in coloured boots (or was that Warwick Capper)? And 'Dipper' playing the Grand Final with a punctured lung? Both are now successful commentators. Ah, the William Ernest Greene (WEG) Grand Final posters. They didn't have them in 1954 when the Bulldogs won their only flag! And of course there's 'Lethal' who has been so successful winning flags at Collingwood and the last 3 at Brisbane. What a player he was - I don't think I saw anyone harder than him.

And then in Bendigo we became very friendly with a former Hawk great in Des Dickson (Delicate Des they called him - probably harder than Matthews now I come to think of it). He had a milk bar near where we lived and I always used to talk footy with him.

Nostalgia aint what it used to be eh?

OzTennis

P.S. The weekend beckons so I probably won't pick up your reply until Monday - don't think I've forgotten our trip down memory lane!
Warwick Capper (smallest & tightest shorts in the VFL) wore the first coloured boots. That is as clear in my mind as Dennis Lillee's outing with an aluminium bat!

And may I add that there is nothing wrong with supporting Carlton!!! Yes they have been crap for the last few years, but if you're a loyal aussie rules supporter it doesn't matter. I chose them to support when I was a kid because they wear navy blue and its my favourite colour!

Loved reading all this though, great stuff.

Old Feb 5th 2004, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Last time I went to MCG tickets were $26 - that was Essendon v Carlton - but I think we had tickets that allowed us access to certain bars inside(?? - I can't remeber as someone else got the tickets)

I also went to see some NSL (National soccer league) games at South Melbourne. (Hubby was suffering match withdrawal). It was a tad different to the Premiership to say the least!! The crowd had no songs except a bunch of about 6 guys who'd adapted the "Super Danny Murphy" song to one of their own Greek players!! During the first half everyone sat behind one goal, then at half time, everyone moved up the other end to sit behind the other goal!!

But agin, an experience, and we met some jolly nice Aussies in Liverpool shirts! Anyone on Melbourne who likes soccer should get to a game (South Melbourne play down at Bob Jane stadium at Albert Park)

Oh yes, was amazed to read in the paper the weekend that there was a massive crowd brawl at the NSL game at Bob Jane stadium - SOuth Melbourne v Melbourne Knights
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...570292613.html
Old Feb 5th 2004, 7:18 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Go the Swannies.

How would that go down in Melbourne?
Old Feb 5th 2004, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Supporting the Sydney Swans wouldn't go down badly in Melbourne at all. Basically because they used to be South Melbourne and only moved to Sydney in 1982. They're not really considered an interstate team in someways and they're one of the teams Victorian neutrals hope win when they're playing one of the bigger Melbourne clubs.

I think the fact they're based in a rugby town means that Victorians have nothing against their fans and hope they do well so they sport develops in NSW. Same goes with Brisbane.

As for Carlton, I've despised them having grown up as an Essendon supporter. I was at the 1999 Preliminary final when the Blues won by about and it was probably the worst day of my life. There has been a big rivalry between the two clubs over the last 100 years but it's been as bitter as ever before over the last few years.

But I have a lot of good friends who are Carlton supporters (and supporters of all clubs). I just hate losing to them!
Old Feb 5th 2004, 8:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by jezdavies
Supporting the Sydney Swans wouldn't go down badly in Melbourne at all. Basically because they used to be South Melbourne and only moved to Sydney in 1982. They're not really considered an interstate team in someways and they're one of the teams Victorian neutrals hope win when they're playing one of the bigger Melbourne clubs.

I think the fact they're based in a rugby town means that Victorians have nothing against their fans and hope they do well so they sport develops in NSW. Same goes with Brisbane.

As for Carlton, I've despised them having grown up as an Essendon supporter. I was at the 1999 Preliminary final when the Blues won by about and it was probably the worst day of my life. There has been a big rivalry between the two clubs over the last 100 years but it's been as bitter as ever before over the last few years.

But I have a lot of good friends who are Carlton supporters (and supporters of all clubs). I just hate losing to them!
Yep, ditto, South Australia used to be the traditional rival to Victoria in state games and to a lesser extent WA. This meant that when Adelaide Crows and West Coast Eagles came into the AFL they were less liked by Victorians than Sydney Swans who were a Victorian team moved north. I know a guy (John Herriot) who was thrilled to be recently picked for the Swans 'Team of the Century'. He used to play in the days when the team was South Melbourne and they played at the Lakeside Oval which is now used for soccer (aka football) and goes under the name of Bob Jane Stadium.

Just to keep the thread going!

OzTennis
Old Feb 5th 2004, 8:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by MrsTurbo
Warwick Capper (smallest & tightest shorts in the VFL) wore the first coloured boots. That is as clear in my mind as Dennis Lillee's outing with an aluminium bat!

And may I add that there is nothing wrong with supporting Carlton!!! Yes they have been crap for the last few years, but if you're a loyal aussie rules supporter it doesn't matter. I chose them to support when I was a kid because they wear navy blue and its my favourite colour!

Loved reading all this though, great stuff.

Yep, Capper's shorts and coloured boots and Lillee's aluminium bat.

I too don't mind Carlton because the father of my best friend at Melb Uni was Finance Director of the club and we used to go along to the club from Uni and meet the players and go to some of the cafes and restaurants in Lygon St which some players or their family had. In the same year at Uni was Les Stillman who played footy for Essendon (I saw him kick 8 goals against the Bulldogs and Windy Oval once) and cricket as well and is now a coach (used to be in SA) and David Clarke who was a Geelong great but was involved in the Pyramid Building Society collapse. The Commerce faculty used to have a pretty good team with Stillman, Clarke and quite a few other league and reserves footballers.

OzTennis
Old Feb 5th 2004, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

Capper's shorts were beyond ridiculous. He is a bit of a clown. He still thinks people care what he has to say. Probably now classified as a G list celebrity.

South Australians really do not like Victorians at all. Especially when it comes to the footy. The Crows winning the Premiership in 97 and 98 did not sit at all well with the people of Melbourne. It's definitely a more fierce rivalry than the Vics have with WA. It would be footy's answer to the NSW-Qld rivalry in rugby league.

I was in a cricket team coached by Les Stillman when I was about 15. Seemed like decent bloke.

I went to high school with Trent Croad. He played centre half forward in our school team. Amazing player! But he could barely count to ten. He was a decent bloke then but from all reports has his head up his behind nowadays.

Also, my aunty used to have Essendon players board at her house when they first moved to Melbourne before they found a place of their own. Sean Wellman, Scott Lucas, Chris Heffernan, Dean Soloman. They were all nice blokes when I met them. Had dinner with Sean Wellman and David Calthorpe at her place. Calthorpe was a very funny guy. And according to them, Dustin Fletcher had the highest body fat percentage of Essendon squad at that time (1996).

I also know for a fact that Calthorpe left Essendon because he was messing around with Barry Young's wife. But not a lot of juicy gossip happens at Essendon.

What a name dropping session!
Old Feb 5th 2004, 10:14 pm
Badge

great to hear about your footie views, Jez.

There isn't enough material on footie on this site.

I see that Hawthorn play Melbourne in March at the 'G' so I will be there. Can I buy tickets from Ticketek?

I will also be going to Olympic Park to watch the Storm play Newcastle early on in Round 2 of the NRL.

Badgers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.