Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fitness centres in or around Mandurah

Fitness centres in or around Mandurah

Old Oct 11th 2007, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud of
Default Fitness centres in or around Mandurah

Hi

Can anyone recommend a good gym in or around Mandurah and give me any ideas on monthly costs please? Preferably one that is suitable for a nearly 40 a bit overweight Scottish lass.

Thanks in advance

Nic
Old Oct 11th 2007, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

telpen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fitness centres in or around Mandurah

There are some gyms in Mandurah. The Aquatic centre in Mandurah has a gym which is ok and Halls Head community centre too. Both are ok. Hearts is a women only gym in Mandurah which really nice and they have other classes there like combat, yoga, aerobics. Prices comparitive with uk. Does do annual membership which is again similar to uk prices. Just up the road from a really good bottle shop and a few bars too!
Old Oct 12th 2007, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by telpen
There are some gyms in Mandurah. The Aquatic centre in Mandurah has a gym which is ok and Halls Head community centre too. Both are ok. Hearts is a women only gym in Mandurah which really nice and they have other classes there like combat, yoga, aerobics. Prices comparitive with uk. Does do annual membership which is again similar to uk prices. Just up the road from a really good bottle shop and a few bars too!
Thank you very much telpen. Hoping to settle in Halls Head so that would be good but the idea of a woman's only gym does appeal and the bottle shop and bars will also appeal after a workout. Maybe that is why I am still overweight!!

Nic
Old Oct 12th 2007, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Hi ya
You will see a few of my mates when u hit the gym! a few expats.
When we return to oz next year after our son has done his GCSE's. We are aiming for Halls Head. It is just right close to beaches and a walk ( short cycle) into Mandurah. Have u got kids? Have you been to the area before? I know of other bottle shops, its better to move around them or they start to know you by name! When are you going? What visa r u going on?

Penny
Old Oct 13th 2007, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi ya
You will see a few of my mates when u hit the gym! a few expats.
When we return to oz next year after our son has done his GCSE's. We are aiming for Halls Head. It is just right close to beaches and a walk ( short cycle) into Mandurah. Have u got kids? Have you been to the area before? I know of other bottle shops, its better to move around them or they start to know you by name! When are you going? What visa r u going on?

Penny
Hi Penny

Good to know I will meet up with some expats when I get there. We have 3 kids who are 6, 4 and 2. We have never been to Australia before and have no friends or families to so it is a bit daunting at times! We fly out on the 3rd January and are on a 134 permanent visa. Good to know you know other bottle shops so we don't get a name for ourselves when we first arrive What about yourself, kids, jobs and I take it you have been before?

Nicx
Old Oct 14th 2007, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

yeh lived there for a year got back feb 07 . 3 kids 15 ,13 ,6
Should be back around june time 08
Halls head is nice and mandurah is growing fast. oh should be over in march/april to start work.
You should settle quickly join a few clubs and it will be all good
see you there
Penny
Old Oct 15th 2007, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

yeh lived there for a year got back feb 07 . 3 kids 15 ,13 ,6
Should be back around june time 08
Halls head is nice and mandurah is growing fast. oh should be over in march/april to start work.
You should settle quickly join a few clubs and it will be all good
see you there
Penny
That would be good

Nic
Old Oct 15th 2007, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Nic
We had never been to oz before either- everyone we knew thought we were bonkers just going!! Some people we knew had moved near Mandurah a year before we went and we hooked up with them. They are still there enjoying it. We cant wait to go back. Our 15 yr old loved the surf but he missed his mates a bit. He came back and realised he had moved on but they hadnt. He now wants to join the police out there. He is also still in contact with some mates out there. Your kids are at a good age to go. It took me a while to get used to the primary school system. They are more concerned with turning out polite, sociable, and confident children. My daughter Nic is 13 and shy but she really became confident as their was no bullying and all the kids talked to everyone (at primary school that is). High school is a little diff i think.
I had a job teaching swimming at the Aquatic Centre which was perfect with school hrs! Took me 9 months to get the job mind u! Terry is a plumber. He is going to go for his contractor licence in oz so he can work for himself and earn me lots of money!!!
Have u got a house sorted to rent or r u waiting till u get there? God ive written an essay - soz!

Pen
Old Oct 17th 2007, 7:02 am
Just Joined

glittermad is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Nic
We had never been to oz before either- everyone we knew thought we were bonkers just going!! Some people we knew had moved near Mandurah a year before we went and we hooked up with them. They are still there enjoying it. We cant wait to go back. Our 15 yr old loved the surf but he missed his mates a bit. He came back and realised he had moved on but they hadnt. He now wants to join the police out there. He is also still in contact with some mates out there. Your kids are at a good age to go. It took me a while to get used to the primary school system. They are more concerned with turning out polite, sociable, and confident children. My daughter Nic is 13 and shy but she really became confident as their was no bullying and all the kids talked to everyone (at primary school that is). High school is a little diff i think.
I had a job teaching swimming at the Aquatic Centre which was perfect with school hrs! Took me 9 months to get the job mind u! Terry is a plumber. He is going to go for his contractor licence in oz so he can work for himself and earn me lots of money!!!
Have u got a house sorted to rent or r u waiting till u get there? God ive written an essay - soz!

Pen
Hi

Sorry to but in on the thread nic and telpen but the Aquajetty in Port Kennedy is quite good but a bit further north of Mandurah.

You could always get hubby to take kids swimming whilst you use their gym. I am in Secret Harbour and like youself Nic I have three kids 5,3 and 1, no friends out here (apart from neighbouurs) - sad really aren't I!! You'll be surprised at how quickly you will meet up with people.

We came out in August this year on a permenant residency visa 134 and haven't looked back. The schools seemed to be switched on out here - no bullying.

Anyway enough waffle - Good Luck. It will fly by!!!!

x
Old Oct 18th 2007, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Hi yeah agree Aqua Jetty is cool. Nice pools too and a great 50metre one!!!
I used to go there more than Mandurah coz the pool there aint so hot (have u tried it). However I did (and hopefully will again) be teaching swimming there again for ed authority. Thinking of u lot over there at the mo with the weather warming up nicely!! Have fun and enjoy.
Pen
Old Oct 18th 2007, 11:17 am
Just Joined

glittermad is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi yeah agree Aqua Jetty is cool. Nice pools too and a great 50metre one!!!
I used to go there more than Mandurah coz the pool there aint so hot (have u tried it). However I did (and hopefully will again) be teaching swimming there again for ed authority. Thinking of u lot over there at the mo with the weather warming up nicely!! Have fun and enjoy.
Pen
Evening all

Mandurah is a nice place, Secret Harbour is certainly quiet and would highly recommend it to any one. Being in the middle more or less between Rockingham and Mandurah you get the best of both worlds. There's loads to choose from as soon as you know where to go.

I haven't tried the Mandurah pools but I don't like them too hot - with the weather beginning to warm up (finally I'm told) its nice to get in a pool thats slightly cooler.

Do you teach on the VacSwim? Maybe see you there!!!
Old Oct 26th 2007, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

I used to go to the gym at the Halls Head community centre, nice gym but small. The one at Mandurah Aquatic centre was refurbished about 2 years ago, and with membership you get access to the pool, spa and sauna. They also run heaps of fitness programmes, aerobics, pilates, step etc. There are two 25m pools. The indoor one is a bit warmer but it's used for swimming programmes for small children and the elderly so is kept a few degrees warmer than the outside pool, which isn't really outside anymore as it is enclosed, but they open up the sides in summer. If you're into lap swimming, use the cooler outdoor pool, then when you've finished go and relax in the indoor pool or spa. My daughter is a lifeguard there, and is due to start a VacSwim teaching course.

Residents of Mandurah have been promised a new 50 metre pool for ages, but in the meantime a private company are planning to build one in Erskine (near Halls Head). That will also have a gym and various other fitness facilities.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Nic

Pen
Hi Pen

Sorry haven't replied, was up in Scotland for half-term which was good.

We have a holiday rental in Mandurah to go to when we first arrive for 5 weeks and then we will have to find something more permanent. Aas we have never been before I have no idea if Halls Head is where we will end up but I just have a really good feeling about it!

Hope to see you over there soon. When are you heading over again?

Nicx
Old Oct 29th 2007, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by glittermad
Hi

Sorry to but in on the thread nic and telpen but the Aquajetty in Port Kennedy is quite good but a bit further north of Mandurah.

You could always get hubby to take kids swimming whilst you use their gym. I am in Secret Harbour and like youself Nic I have three kids 5,3 and 1, no friends out here (apart from neighbouurs) - sad really aren't I!! You'll be surprised at how quickly you will meet up with people.

We came out in August this year on a permenant residency visa 134 and haven't looked back. The schools seemed to be switched on out here - no bullying.

Anyway enough waffle - Good Luck. It will fly by!!!!

x
Hi

Thanks for replying. That is a good idea that I go to the gym while they swim.

Are your kids boys and girls? My two eldest are boys and the two year old is a girl and a right madam.

We too are on a 134 which I think is scrapped now, so we got in at the right time.

Do you like Secret Harbour? Have you found it hard to make friends?

Nic
Old Oct 29th 2007, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jacqui
I used to go to the gym at the Halls Head community centre, nice gym but small. The one at Mandurah Aquatic centre was refurbished about 2 years ago, and with membership you get access to the pool, spa and sauna. They also run heaps of fitness programmes, aerobics, pilates, step etc. There are two 25m pools. The indoor one is a bit warmer but it's used for swimming programmes for small children and the elderly so is kept a few degrees warmer than the outside pool, which isn't really outside anymore as it is enclosed, but they open up the sides in summer. If you're into lap swimming, use the cooler outdoor pool, then when you've finished go and relax in the indoor pool or spa. My daughter is a lifeguard there, and is due to start a VacSwim teaching course.

Residents of Mandurah have been promised a new 50 metre pool for ages, but in the meantime a private company are planning to build one in Erskine (near Halls Head). That will also have a gym and various other fitness facilities.
Thanks for replying. I will google the Aqautic centre as it sounds good and see what they say. How much is membership roughly?

Nic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.