Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fishing or Crab-potting in the Mooloolaba Canals??

Fishing or Crab-potting in the Mooloolaba Canals??

Old Mar 21st 2006, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of
Default Fishing or Crab-potting in the Mooloolaba Canals??

Hi
We have just moved to a rental on the Mooloolaba canal. small unit but great location.

Can you fish in the canal? What type of fish would you be looking for? What type of bait??

Also, is it worth putting the odd crab pot out there??

Any ideas?

The Spinkways
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice
Default Re: Fishing or Crab-potting in the Mooloolaba Canals??

Originally Posted by jacknscoob
Hi
We have just moved to a rental on the Mooloolaba canal. small unit but great location.

Can you fish in the canal? What type of fish would you be looking for? What type of bait??

Any ideas?

The Spinkways
Mate, watch out for the bull sharks in the canals up there.

We used to live in Scarborough on the canals and they were there and down on the Gold Coast too.

Interms of fishing, you can catch flathead, brim, toadfish etc.
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 2:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

Have a look at www.ausfish.com.au
Plenty local advice there
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 6:37 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mipik
Have a look at www.ausfish.com.au
Plenty local advice there

cracking link mate

thanks
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 3:06 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Hi

Any ideas?

The Spinkways
How long is a piece of string?
you get a wide range of fish there, trevally ( lures or live bait the best), Jew live bait), mangrove jacks (lures or live bait) etc - bait it depends what you are trying to catch. And fish the night, or at dawn, don't waste your time in the day, you'll just tend to get the pickers.

If it's your Bream you want - any old bait will do, a pack of pillies, worms , prawns anything, a bit of dough even They are a pain in the arse, unless you like Bream fishing that is lol

If you really want to try fishing for the proper fish ( sorry but Bream and whiting are not my type of fishing, I use them for Bait) - try live bait, live banana prawns, live fish like whiting, poddy mullet etc etc - buy a cast net and practice throwing it, it will take a while to get the perfect circle when you first try , but once you get the hang of it's really invaluable - get your bait that way, it really beats dead bait any day for the good fishing..
Bull sharks are all over SEQ in great numbers , and can be caught easy enough with a live mullet in the summer ( I fish for sharks besides Jews - goes hand in hand half the time) ,dusk and early morning is best , like most fishing ( they are still in good numbers at the moment, but will be dwinding off soon in the shallows- winter is a slow time for them) - or if you can't get a live mullet, try a big fresh fillet of tailor, mullet etc - the bigger the piece the better ( as big as you can cast out),- tailor is the best I find when you use dead bait, tends to leave more of an oily trail in the water ( you'll need wire too of course which goes without saying )

crabs - yes it's worth putting out some pots at night , Mud crabs are still about in very good numbers.

If you don't know what you want to catch - just buy a pack of pillies,or some mullet go for an average hook not too small ( try not to go too tiny, as if you do hook a very big fish you'll in danger of bending your hook) and not too big obviously if you do want to catch the smaller fish such as Bream , say 2/0 3/0 Big Gun's - and just cast out. you'll get the average little fish , like Bream etc, but there's a chance of other things too.

Ask in your local tackle shop they will advise you on what's being caught at the moment etc , and will advise you on best places etc- your tackle shop guy is your best friend when it comes to local gossip (so get into his pocket )

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Ceri; Mar 23rd 2006 at 3:25 am.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

We caught all sorts when we lived on a boat on the river in mooloolaba. Mainly bream, but various others. Had a few crabs, big ones and one day a huge cod. Beware, as I'm sure you are better at this than me, my husband caught what we thought was a bream and I passed him the bucket during which fish bumped my hand with it's dorsal fins. PAIN!! The fish then changed colour and someone said it was a fish known as 'happy moments' some sort of trevally, as when the pain subsides in afew weeks, you feel justifiably happy. My hand and arm swelled and went red and it was agony. It was 5 weeks before I was normal again. Apparently the fish is good to eat though.
I'm very suspicious of fish now!!
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 6:35 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
In the canals around Mooloolaba you'll catch Bream and Happy Moments [watch the spines,very painful poisen] all day long, you can catch a few Flathead or Trevally if you fish dawn or dusk at the turn of the tide. Flathead love a pilly floated downstream on the falling tide. It's getting a bit cold now for Mangrove Jack but you may get lucky and bag one. Best bet is to go for a walk and talk to the local kids wherever they're fishing.
The recent heavy rain has flushed a few nice muddies into the deeper canals in search or saltier water so it's definitely worth putting a few pots in. You can bait them with just about anything. I find that catfish from the freshwater part of the river are far better than the Mullet the tackle shops sell for crab bait. Locals use tins of cheap cat food pierced at both ends, one bloke I know uses a house brick soaked on kerro as bait and never fails. The crabs are attracted to anything smelly.
Go and buy the little booklet on fish species it's small enough to fit in your pocket and gives bag limits and min/max sizes for each fish costs $10 bucks from the newsagents.
Good luck.
PS try looking here at the forum section http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/yabb2/YaBB.cgi Don't believe a word about where fish were caught though no one will tell you where they really caught the big one
Old Mar 30th 2006, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of

Would u adam n eve it!!! We put our 2 old wire framed crab pots in ($3 for 2 at Garage Sale) in the canal. Got on my wave ski - paddled out to hava lookie. And Gawd got two boy crabs, each over 7 inches wide, I nearly fainted! Luckilymy brave bloke put them to sleep then we cooked em, great tucker! We put the pots back, so here is hoping

The Spinkways
[/QUOTE]

PS Defo recommend emigrating!!