Fish n Chips!

Old Oct 26th 2004, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

ZippyGeorgeBungle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fish n Chips!

Hi
Listen guys, I love a good fish supper and will SERIOUSLY miss this as I've heard that in Oz they don't do proper chips? Now, the thing is, I don't mind the different fish... but dodgy chips and no batter? Is this true? Correct me if I'm wrong but I'll really miss a good chippy! Please reassure me - PLEASE!
George
Old Oct 26th 2004, 2:46 pm
SCANNY

scanny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fish n Chips!

Originally Posted by ZippyGeorgeBungle
Hi
Listen guys, I love a good fish supper and will SERIOUSLY miss this as I've heard that in Oz they don't do proper chips? Now, the thing is, I don't mind the different fish... but dodgy chips and no batter? Is this true? Correct me if I'm wrong but I'll really miss a good chippy! Please reassure me - PLEASE!
George
Can't help you with info on f=c but this is one of the things my husband was thinking of trying as a business venture, whole family have worked in a chippie at some time or another and was thinking of doing it locally here but decided too much cost to start-may be different in OZ so look out for "SCANNY'S" fish and chips. Any tips on setting up biz in SA greatly received- not rushing. Scanny
Old Oct 26th 2004, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

nmccallum has a spectacular aura aboutnmccallum has a spectacular aura aboutnmccallum has a spectacular aura about

Hi
George
Funny you say that they can't make 'proper' chips in Oz....I was talking to my Aussie friend this morning at work and she was moaning that she has yet to find a place in London that makes ........wait for it.........."PROPER" chips.......!!!!!

You might have to master the art yourself...or eat so many before you go that you will NEVER want to see another chip again!!!
Old Oct 26th 2004, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

ZippyGeorgeBungle is an unknown quantity at this point

In Glasgow they do a mean fried mars bar - don't suppose they do that in Oz then! Nae worries, but a bit worrying that the chips are a bit dodgy - Yeah, a good deep fat frier may be in order then! Cheers for the comments - guess I'll just have to adapt to dodgy chips.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 3:06 pm
sula

I'm a fish and chip fan myself. I've had great fish and chips in Perth and Brisbane. If you like fish cakes, mushy peas and scraps you might be disappointed, as they don't appear to sell them!!!! The chips were definately not soggy!!!

Sula

Old Oct 26th 2004, 3:13 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
George
mmm yeah chips not the same as ours but had some fantastic battered fish actually felt guilty in one of the chip shops the selection of fish they had displayed looked like it should have been in the sealife centre you know too beautiful to eat not that im saying if its ugly eat it but ..
Old Oct 26th 2004, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by possoms
mmm yeah chips not the same as ours but had some fantastic battered fish actually felt guilty in one of the chip shops the selection of fish they had displayed looked like it should have been in the sealife centre you know too beautiful to eat not that im saying if its ugly eat it but ..
tried battered mars bars in a chippy on bondi about 7 years ago,YUK although my kids disagree with me!
Old Oct 26th 2004, 4:20 pm
gsb
Cake or Death

gsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond repute

There you go, maybe there is a business opportunity for you...

Hi
George
Old Oct 26th 2004, 7:54 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by debbiemc
tried battered mars bars in a chippy on bondi about 7 years ago,YUK although my kids disagree with me!
aaah the old scottish delicacy battered mars bars i agree totally gross along with the battered scotch pie whats that all about???
Old Oct 26th 2004, 7:59 pm
Cheeky

Im sorry but they sound soooo yuck!!!!

I dunno maybe its me, but mars bars fried in batter!!!!!!
Think of all those CALORIES

But I like em with nothin done to em!!
Cheeky!!

Originally Posted by possoms
aaah the old scottish delicacy battered mars bars i agree totally gross along with the battered scotch pie whats that all about???

Old Oct 26th 2004, 9:16 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hi
George
Hiya ZGB.

some chippies in the uk fry the chips differently, but fortunately Oz has a diverse cultural background and there should be a chippy you like, you just have to find it the old fashioned way and try them out.

They do use batter, well at least the one's I went to did.

Bye
Mark (chipaholic)
Old Oct 26th 2004, 9:38 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of places do crumbed fish rather than batter, but you can get both. Fish cakes are a bit hard to find, and as for battereed sausages - they have this odd invnetion called a dagwood dog, which is a battered sausage on a stick, plastered with tomato sauce (which drips everywhere). Chips are generally brilliant.
Most fish and chip shops cook fresh too, so you have quite a wait (15 mins or so) but the food is all fresh.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 9:41 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by markeh
Hiya ZGB.

some chippies in the uk fry the chips differently, but fortunately Oz has a diverse cultural background and there should be a chippy you like, you just have to find it the old fashioned way and try them out.

They do use batter, well at least the one's I went to did.

Bye
Mark (chipaholic)
Most chip shops in Australia use frozen pre-cut chips unlike the Brit ones which cut fresh spuds. Most Aussie chip shops use lard to fry in so good for Northerners but bad for Southerners and vegetarians.

I found a couple of good chippies in Oz, unfortunatly most of the shops serve up chips that resemble deep fried cardboard. They also do not put vinegar on chips, just salt.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 9:43 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
A lot of places do crumbed fish rather than batter, but you can get both. Fish cakes are a bit hard to find, and as for battereed sausages - they have this odd invnetion called a dagwood dog, which is a battered sausage on a stick, plastered with tomato sauce (which drips everywhere). Chips are generally brilliant.
Most fish and chip shops cook fresh too, so you have quite a wait (15 mins or so) but the food is all fresh.
Even though ZGB has been banned as a troll, he/she has inadvertently created some interesting threads here! Cheers folks!
Old Oct 26th 2004, 9:47 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, the vinegar thing is annoying! Some shops have it, but very few, and you often get a funny look when asking for it. The Bloke didn't own any till I arrived!
They all offer salt, disgusting tasting ketchup and BBQ sauce, but rarely vinegar. How can you eat chips without it? (oooh sorry, that was a bit of a negative post there wans't it. Forgive me! )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.