Fish

Old Jul 26th 2005, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation
Default Re: Fish

Originally Posted by fraser
I know I said earlier I really need to get a life after discussing the merits of fried fish

You really and truly do fraser....!
Old Jul 26th 2005, 8:53 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willmore
You really and truly do fraser....!
Are you stalking me :scared:
Old Jul 26th 2005, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Are you stalking me :scared:
yes....remember that karma I gave you....stalking you was part of the deal!
Old Jul 26th 2005, 8:55 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

yes....remember that karma I gave you....stalking you was part of the deal!
Cool, I always fancied having one
Old Jul 26th 2005, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Cool, I always fancied having one
Having one what fraser?
Old Jul 26th 2005, 8:58 pm

Having one what fraser?
A stalker of course and all the better that it's you
Old Jul 26th 2005, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

A stalker of course and all the better that it's you
You are such a charmer! How delicious it is to be able to stalk you!
Old Jul 26th 2005, 9:01 pm

You are such a charmer! How delicious it is to be able to stalk you!
I concur
Old Jul 26th 2005, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I concur
Has anyone ever told you how really and truly pathetic you are!
Old Jul 27th 2005, 12:21 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Totally different type of cods here to your British cod as been mentioned i.e.
Epinephelus coioides - the estuary cod , potato cod Epinephelus tukula.
Cephalopholis miniata - coral cod /trout ( this is the one I think is sold as Cod and chips - very white, sweet tasting meat) etc etc to name just a couple of fish species that go by the cod name here.

The flake you buy could be anything from whaler , bull etc to a Shovel Nose Ray - You can never tell which shark or ray ( wrongly called shovel nose shark by some) you are buying when you buy flake. It's all marketed here in the shops under the name Flake including the shovel nose ray ( I know people who work on the trawlers, and shovel nose ray is very, very often sold as Flake besides the sharks - mind you I'd rather eat shovel nose than half the sharks - The shovel nose's diet is a lot better than a sharks diet - mostly worms, shellfish, small fish. Plus they have less mecury levels than a shark - hence why young sharks are usually used, less mecury than the older adults ).

The marketing name of "reef fish" which you wll see in some fresh fish shops - again a wide marketing name , and basically covers a very wide amount of small fish species that you would normally not buy if laid out, or keep when you are fishing yourself.. Marketing names - got to love them sometimes haven't you.

Most so called "fresh" Aus prawns that you buy ( minus local prawns fresh off the boats) are not "fresh" - they are stocked pilled in warehouses for anything up to two years frozen - then defrosted and sold as "fresh" for sale on the counters you buy from. There is one such warehouse/stock pile around the Southside area - near the Murarrie area to be precise ( I know a Prawn trawler who fishes North Qld for them and sells his stock here in Brisbane )
The cheap prawns in supermarket such as coles etc $12.99 $14.99 etc etc price depending on the week( unless otherwise have a sign on them stating they are Australian) here are mostly imported frozen farmed from Thailand.

Bay prawns ( the small prawns) - I personally stay away from because you don't know where in the Bay some of them come from - half of them would not sell under the marketing name of Brisbane river prawns would they lol - for anyone who doesn't know the river , it's not the cleanest of places ( can never tell where they trawl with a market name of Bay - in the greater bay, or in the rivers adjoining the bay. They all go under Bay, or Moreton Bay prawn name .
A lot ( by no account I mean all, or the majority of trawlers here - just a lot/some of them) of Brisbane trawlers, trawl around luggage point ( sewage) at the hotwater outlet - they are legally allowed to trawl there within certain metres away from the outlet , but a lot of them do trawl within the distance limit to the pipe/outlet - illegally. But who's going to mess with half of them when you're likely to have an illegal shot gun up you're arse off some of the less gentlemen ( I can personally 100% vouch for this some of them use illegal means).

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Jul 27th 2005 at 12:38 am.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 12:36 am
aussie73

Originally Posted by wmoore
I had snapper and chips earlier and despire Eatstatic's "all Aussie fish and chips are crap", it was bloody lovely
Well Eatstatic says eveything Australian is crap.

Old Jul 27th 2005, 12:40 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Here in WA you would have thought fresh fish was cheap and plentiful. Well, it is if you have a boat but like Ceri said, the supermarked seafood is of dubious quality.

You can get magnificent fresh seafood, but you are going to have to pay top dollar. Places like the fish shop in Innaloo or Kailis in Leederville are the places to go. Kailis' is great, amazing selection from live marrons, yabbies through prawns, oysters, all the way through whatever fish is fresh like snapper, baldchin groper and Dhufish (not to be confused with Jewfish which is what "Eastern Staters" call our Mulloway!) sometimes there will be Spanish Mackrel or fresh tuna, yum yum....

Crayfish has been a lot cheaper in the last couple of years too.

I'm lucky to have a pal who is a skipper on a cray boat, whenever he comes around he'll either bring a few crays or a magnificent fish which we'll cook in the oven. Last time he brought a big dhufish caught that morning.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 1:20 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

I put the fact that I'm posting in this thread down to being bored out me 'ead at work ...

Anyway, smoked fish. It's an ongoing source of woe for me ... I can find smoked trout and imported (from South Africa) smoked cod (which is truly bloody awful). In the UK, I loved smoked haddock. Is there anything similar here? And where might I find it in Sydney (the fish market doesn't seem to have anything)?

GG
Old Jul 27th 2005, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

Stu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Geordie George
I put the fact that I'm posting in this thread down to being bored out me 'ead at work ...

Anyway, smoked fish. It's an ongoing source of woe for me ... I can find smoked trout and imported (from South Africa) smoked cod (which is truly bloody awful). In the UK, I loved smoked haddock. Is there anything similar here? And where might I find it in Sydney (the fish market doesn't seem to have anything)?

GG
Grab some haddock and 40 Malboros and you can do it yourself.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 1:33 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

In my more bored moments, I have taken at looking how to build a DIY smokery in the back garden!

Originally Posted by Stu.E
Grab some haddock and 40 Malboros and you can do it yourself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.