Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

First trip to Dentist

First trip to Dentist

Old Nov 12th 2003, 11:33 am
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by DianeOZ
I know - William hasn't got any big teeth yet!!! Something to do with his "bite" they reckoned.

Di,

My son's 8 and has only got 5 or 6 big teeth but our dentist in the UK has recommended orthodontic treatment already. Mind you his teeth are very crooked already

Apparently if they start the first stage of treatment at age 8 (before any major adolescent growth spurt) it can save a lot of problems later. They're trying to expand his jaw to give room for the permanent teeth to come through and hopefully save him from having too many removed later.

We've been quoted £1700 (and apparently you can't get this treatment on the NHS) for the first stage of treatment which will last 12-14 months and involves him wearing appliances which look like instruments of torture The orthodontist reckons kids of his age are much better at coping with braces/ plates than teenagers though.

Fees for the next stage when he's got nearly all his 2nd teeth will be £2500 (at todays values)!!

Nicola
Old Nov 12th 2003, 11:51 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently if they start the first stage of treatment at age 8 (before any major adolescent growth spurt) it can save a lot of problems later. They're trying to expand his jaw to give room for the permanent teeth to come through and hopefully save him from having too many removed later.

I sympathise. A few years ago it appeared that every other Aussie was a dentist, and from what this thread is saying they are out to drum up trade anyhow!

Going down this (American) road leads to a population with perfect teeth but nothing in the bank. Our friends in the States spend a fortune on their teeth, and all have a whole piano-full of straight, white gnashers - but is that really natural? I went to a US dentist because of a chipped front tooth and after an examination, including digital photographs and overhead TV was presented with a "plan" for my mouth which was costed at nearly $12,000 - some $18,000 in Australian!

At about the same time my wife - another US dentist - was persuaded to have a couple of crowns costing US$1800. They were so badly done that she couldn't close her mouth and when another dentist filed them down as a temporary measure to a normal size the interior metal showed through in blobs. She was in agony for 6 months, waiting until her mouth had stabilised enough to have them out and a new set done. Eventually the threat of litigation brought only a refund.

So the moral is: make up your own mind about how much you want to have done on what is purely cosmetic. There's sharks and incompetents out there in dentisty as there is in used cars!
Old Nov 12th 2003, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

markcrute is an unknown quantity at this point

Daughter aged 12 had 3 top front teeth knocked out AT THE GUM.(due to rounders accident) Has temporary falsy pegs in at the moment. My uk dentist has advised implants on 2 teeth. (not to be fitted until all the teeth are straightened!)

He also advised me not to have work done here in the uk on the N.h.S as they can only offer her a bridge or a falsey with a plate.
My options would be better with a private dentist.

If you have tip top insurance cover - are you covered for braces as this is cosmetic?

Will implants be classed as cosmetic surgery?

Son aged 10 has 3 bottom teeth broken off half way down due to football accident....

Little son aged 8 still has milk teeth ! but the way our luck and teeth are going.........................

"WE ARE GOING TO BE A DENTISTS BEST FRIEND(and his bank managers!)"
Old Nov 12th 2003, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget if you have big dental/medical bills you may qualify to take a tax deduction for the costs incurred. Following is the ATO website link with the info.

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...tent/19181.htm
Old Nov 12th 2003, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

scotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the rough
Default I'd love to see a dentist

Today I visited the fourth dentist practice withing a 20 mile radius of my home in an attempt to register, to be told again to come back in January then we will put you on the waiting list - I'm hoping to be on the other side in May - looks like I'll have to fork out some money - SMILE
Old Nov 12th 2003, 6:14 pm
WBB

Default Re: I'd love to see a dentist

Originally posted by scotvness
Today I visited the fourth dentist practice withing a 20 mile radius of my home in an attempt to register, to be told again to come back in January then we will put you on the waiting list - I'm hoping to be on the other side in May - looks like I'll have to fork out some money - SMILE

it is a sad situation but it is like that all over the UK