Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

first time buyers grant

first time buyers grant

Old Nov 23rd 2005, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

clanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to all
Default first time buyers grant

I just read on an Oz house builders site "first time buyers government grant ending" does anyone know if this is true?
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 7:59 am
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: first time buyers grant

Originally Posted by clanwylie
I just read on an Oz house builders site "first time buyers government grant ending" does anyone know if this is true?
heard on triple m news a couple of weeks ago that the government had met to discuss changes to it making it only available to people who really needed it!ie not that well off! not sure of the outcome mind sorry
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 8:09 am
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute

i think your safe for now
http://theage.com.au/news/NATIONAL/N...016793261.html
Old Nov 30th 2005, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

Is one entitiled to this grant if they have just arrived from UK on a PR.
i.e is it a first time buyer in Oz grant?

How long do you have to have been in Oz for for this grant?

TC
Old Nov 30th 2005, 5:40 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by touchingcloth
Is one entitiled to this grant if they have just arrived from UK on a PR.
i.e is it a first time buyer in Oz grant?

How long do you have to have been in Oz for for this grant?

TC
Yes you are entitled right away if on a PR.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
Yes you are entitled right away if on a PR.

Hi

Wow that was a quick reply!!!!!!!

anyways...i just found this:

http://www.hsbc.com.au/personal/homeloans/first.html

are u sure? it says about citizens and some other acronym which i don't know what it means

TC
Old Nov 30th 2005, 5:47 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Hi

Wow that was a quick reply!!!!!!!

anyways...i just found this:

http://www.hsbc.com.au/personal/homeloans/first.html

are u sure? it says about citizens and some other acronym which i don't know what it means

TC

We got $12,000 from them when we built while on PR, long before we became citizens.
The amount has changed now, I don't think its as much as $12,000 but you can get it if you are Permanent resident.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 5:49 pm
The Godfather

http://www.firsthome.gov.au/
Old Nov 30th 2005, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Do they look into whether u owned a home in the UK?
or do u just not declare it?
Old Nov 30th 2005, 5:52 pm
The Godfather

Do they look into whether u owned a home in the UK?
or do u just not declare it?
You can own 10 houses in UK, as long as this is your first home in Aus you are entitled to the grant.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 8:35 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

hopefully that's something that will change, along with making it means tested.

You can own 10 houses in UK, as long as this is your first home in Aus you are entitled to the grant.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 9:30 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisnick
hopefully that's something that will change, along with making it means tested.
Why is that then ? The amount of tax paid by us to the Australian government is a darn sight greater than that. Bear in mind that $7000 will not even cover your Stamp Duty - yes the huge amount of money paid to the government for the privilege of owning your own home in the first place for absolutely nothing in return.

In effect its just a rebate of some of that stamp duty paid, and even then certainly not all of it!!

Hardly a burden on the state now is it.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 9:40 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Would be nice to get something back. I can't believe the amount of stamp duty on a purchase in Victoria. On a $1,000,000 house they want $55,000 :scared:
Old Nov 30th 2005, 9:46 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vanessa
Would be nice to get something back. I can't believe the amount of stamp duty on a purchase in Victoria. On a $1,000,000 house they want $55,000 :scared:
Yup - of course lets not forget we pay stamp duty on cars as well as other purchases as well! I think the home owners grant is the absolute least they can give back to help people buying their own home.

Wishing I could afford to pay the $1m for the house though because I dont think I would be that bothered about the loose change of $50k duty
Old Nov 30th 2005, 10:04 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

i'll tell you why. because as a genuine first home buyer i cannot afford to buy a house, so i'm forced to waste over $10,000 a year to rent.

people who have already owned properties and now have a huge amount of capital are the one's that have helped to push the australian market to the overinflated state it is in today, thus pushing prices beyond genuine first home buyers reaches.

so therefore by making the rules that you can't have owned property anywhere in the world it makes it fairer.

also, the fhog was there to enable genuine first home owners a bit of relief so that they could indeed get on the ladder. i just think it's wrong that someone who could maybe buy a house outright should also be given the grant. everything else here is means tested, so why not this. they may be able to raise the amount of the fhog if only those with a genuine need for it were given it.

under current rules, these people can claim, and i can't have a go at them for claiming it. i just think the rules should be so they can't.

imagine it a different way. you are living in the uk still, and either you, or your kids are struggling to get onto the housing ladder, but you/they can't afford to. but there's these americans with millions of pounds coming to the uk and pushing the house prices up, and claiming £10,000 back from the government. i think you'd definately want the laws changed.

Originally Posted by Centurion
Why is that then ? The amount of tax paid by us to the Australian government is a darn sight greater than that. Bear in mind that $7000 will not even cover your Stamp Duty - yes the huge amount of money paid to the government for the privilege of owning your own home in the first place for absolutely nothing in return.

In effect its just a rebate of some of that stamp duty paid, and even then certainly not all of it!!

Hardly a burden on the state now is it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.