Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

First OZ Job interview

First OZ Job interview

Old Oct 1st 2003, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post First OZ Job interview

After completing an online application form I was invited to attend an interview with the Colemyers group, I had to ring in for detaisl and wa told to bring documentation with me, CV, Visa etc, to dress smart and that I would be taking an aptitude test.

When I arrived with 20 other 'shop shelf filling wannabies' and I must say I felt very out of place being the only person in a suit. Only one of three over the age of 35 and only Brit.

I had to recomplete the form I had already completed online. The aptitide test consisted of a 10 minutes (don't you pick up your pen until I tell you) maths test fairly simple arithmatic and number matching. I was going to ask (jokingly) if they had a calculator but gatehred from the temperature of the room that joviality would be frowned upon. I am no mathematical genius in any shape or form but I completed the test in about 5 mins. I checked over the answers and looked about I saw people counting on fingers furiously filling in the squares. I sat patiently until the instruction to put pens down was given.

We were then told we would be interviewed individually. I was called first and picked up my file expecting to be led away to a private place where I could sing my praises on filling shelves, did this once before you know. It was in a sweet warehouse and many sweet bags happened to burst especially chocolate ones and then were duly eaten by staff, Yummy.

Anyway I digress, I was guided to a table about two feet from where I had been sitting and was asked if I had found the test easy, I said it was easy if I got the answers right. Don't worry I was told you only need 50% to get a pass mark. I was then asked about my availability and geographical area etc.

When it came to references I gave the name of my Oz employment consultant as he had advised me to. I was told this was not acceptable. I said i had 20 years work experience in UK and had certificates from many of my previous employes with me, I said they could easily be contacted via email or phone. I was told none of these were acceptable, they wouldn't consider contacting the UK.

I was told I would hear their decision in two weeks and if successful I would be required to attend another interview.

It would seem that not only do you start with a nil credit record but it is the same with your employment record, which is a bit disheartening. Even more so because even if I am successful my Oz employment record will only report how good I am at filling shelves or if I am lucky operating a checkout. Could I be on the first rung of a dazzling career in retail. Watch this space.

Donna
Old Oct 1st 2003, 7:48 am
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: First OZ Job interview

Originally posted by karawara88

It would seem that not only do you start with a nil credit record but it is the same with your employment record, which is a bit disheartening. Even more so because even if I am successful my Oz employment record will only report how good I am at filling shelves or if I am lucky operating a checkout. Could I be on the first rung of a dazzling career in retail. Watch this space.

Donna
Got my fingers firmly crossed for you although, as you say, it sounds rather depressing that they can't even be bothered to email one of your previous employers to get a reference.....
Old Oct 1st 2003, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Nicstids
Got my fingers firmly crossed for you although, as you say, it sounds rather depressing that they can't even be bothered to email one of your previous employers to get a reference.....

Donna I thought you were a social worker, are there no jobs in that field, I know funding cuts affect things here.

Look anyway good luck, get a foot in the door and who knows what it might lead to. Fingers crossed, I think the moneys pretty right if you do the shifts anyway.

No shame in it either, know plenty of people who do it here.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by dotty
Donna I thought you were a social worker, are there no jobs in that field, I know funding cuts affect things here.

I am a social worker, nearly 20 years experience qualified for 8years, 6 years management experience, I applied for a team leader job, I was more than qualified for, I was not even offered an interview. There are currently vacancies going for child protection workers you have to complete an individual application for each post all spread out across WA.

For one I don't have the inclination to complete 8 application forms and although salary by Oz standards is reasonable, accepting a post places us in the position of settling where employment is offered not necessarily an area of choice. Also its not really the sort of job to dip in and out of and it needs some commitment in time, which I am not necessarily ready to give at the moment especially in an area where we may not really want to live.

If I had beenoffered an interview for the post I did apply for, which I should have been having met all the essential criteria then I may have felt differently as it is I feel if they don't want to meet me then I am not going to keep repeating myself for lesser jobs.

My colleagues in Uk had a friend who was a senior manager in social work in WA, (she's just gone back to UK for a year last month. One of the friends was on hoiday here in August and was offered a job because of her contact. How does that figure!!

I think well if the system still works like that they could have a look at me, in UK I am considered quite a catch, in OZ struggling to get on the employment ladder.

Donna

Last edited by karawara88; Oct 1st 2003 at 8:33 am.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

I am a social worker, nearly 20 years experience qualified for 8years, 6 years management experience, I applied for a team leader job, I was more than qualified for, I was not even offered an interview. There are currently vacancies going for child protection workers you have to complete an individual application for each post all spread out across WA.

For one I don't have the inclination to complete 8 application forms and although salary by Oz standards is reasonable, accepting a post places us in the position of settling where employment is offered not necessarily an area of choice. Also its not really the sort of job to dip in and out of and it needs some commitment in time, which I am not necessarily ready to give at the moment especially in an area where we may not really want to live.

If I had beenoffered an interview for the post I did apply for, which I should have been having met all the essential criteria then I may have felt differently as it is I feel if they don't want to meet me then I am not going to keep repeating myself for lesser jobs.

My colleagues in Uk had a friend who was a senior manager in social work in WA, (she's just gone back to UK for a year last month. One of the friends was on hoiday here in August and was offered a job because of her contact. How does that figure!!

I think well if the system still works like that they could have a look at me, in UK I am considered quite a catch, in OZ struggling to get on the employment ladder.
Yes the "Go where they want you" thing might be alright in a small country but here it can mean the back of beyond and not a very choice area either. We know lots of people who have done teaching positions in rural Qld and the feedback on those places is pretty bad.

Have you thought about contacting the womens refuge, crisis centre type places, its amazing how many people here get jobs by being a volunteer first then getting some contacts. School I volunteer at (I enjoy it not looking for a job) however they fill all of their positions for Cleaners, tuck shop, teachers aids from the volunteer network, of course it all goes through the official channels but you know who gets them.

Good luck anyway.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 9:17 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Donna,

I empathise with your situation, but the fact is that you do have do an extra bit of butt kissing when in a new country. I experienced the same thing coming to the Uk from NZ - ignorant people are everywhere and are (rightly or wrongly) suspicious of people's work experience in another country. They may have never worked in your industry in the UK, and while you may have been quite a catch in the UK, that means little to your new employers.

Also, you are in a different country, and the work practices in your field may be slightly different - at which you are unproven. You have to be prepared to take a step down or sideways to get a new job in a new country.

Employers are looking at absolutely any reason to prune you out, and being an immigrant is one they can use, whether you're experienced or not.

Same everywhere.

I know how depressing it can be find a job in a new country - you are undertaking two of the most stressful activities in life at once (moving and find a job) and doing it without support of family and friends. the task is not to be underestimated, but you will find something.

Best of luck,

Jon
Old Oct 1st 2003, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Best of luck Donna hope something turns up soon and thanks for sharing your experience.

footie chick
Old Oct 1st 2003, 10:54 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Coles Myers is a large bureaucratic company. Probably the reason why there was a incompetent lazy idiot doing the interviews. I have never found the staff service that great whether at grace brothers or at coles.

Why not try office temping where you can build up a few contacts and local references. It is not steady cash but a good introduction to the Aussie work place.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 11:45 am
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point

"For one I don't have the inclination to complete 8 application forms".

It's the same for government jobs, they seem to require a dissertation. Useful to save a generic response that you can tailor for different jobs.

Sorry to hear about your negative interview experiences, been lucky so far, but heard the horror stories.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

ellen fedulow is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hear things arn't quite working out Donna. It seems sad to me that someone so experienced like yourself, is struggling to stay in the field that you have obviously proved yourself in. I f you would of known how difficult it would be would you still of migrated? as you may recall i am a fellow social worker that plans to migrate next year (perth) i would like to stay in Child protection, but i realise my 3yr degree in UK does not qualify me for social work in Oz, i will have to apply as a welfare worker.

Would appreciate any advice

regards

ellen1
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

That's really shitty - Uk references not acceptable!!

It doesn't happen everywhere though, my hubbys company rang Uk for a reference (mind you they are only a very small firm). My company didn't even ask for references.

Depends on the company I suppose. Large ones will have the most bureaucracy to get through.

Anyway good luck, hope you find something you enjoy

Diane
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 7:31 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

i would like to stay in Child protection, but i realise my 3yr degree in UK does not qualify me for social work in Oz, i will have to apply as a welfare worker.

yip 4 years minimum for social worker degree in OZ(some are 41/2 yr-5 yr).I guess you have checked the requirements for the jobs in child protection but a lot dont specify degree in social work but some state related degree(what ever that is) or relivent experience.Have you checked the actual requirements.
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by DianeOZ
That's really shitty - Uk references not acceptable!!

It doesn't happen everywhere though, my hubbys company rang Uk for a reference (mind you they are only a very small firm). My company didn't even ask for references.

Depends on the company I suppose. Large ones will have the most bureaucracy to get through.

Anyway good luck, hope you find something you enjoy

Diane

I am aware that others have been fortunate with employment, we are still in the early stages only been here 7 weeks, but the interview I described was my first interview despite applying for a whole range of different jobs each week we have been here. We have even applied for details on some business opportunities and haven't even got a response. (maybe its us!!)

When we arrived we applied for a JOB Network Card which you need when applying for some jobs. When I had my interview with them, they also told me they wouldn't look at my references and advised me that most employers would not be bothered to contact the UK.

I wonder now why I badgered my boss for weeks to get a recent reference I could bring with me.

Anyway I am not personally down about the job situation, I was surprised about the response to Uk references, I don't understand the attitude of not accepting previous experience etc. I have recruited staff from different countries myself OZ,NZ,France, Holland) when I was in UK and although I would need to understand the comparison of work and experience I never considered their experience invalid, and a reference is just a call away.

I will look at other opportunities, volunteering etc, I expect one way or another things will fall into place. If and when I am successful in getting work I will also post this good news on the forum too.

Donna
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 3:33 am
owieb

I am aware that others have been fortunate with employment, we are still in the early stages only been here 7 weeks, but the interview I described was my first interview despite applying for a whole range of different jobs each week we have been here. We have even applied for details on some business opportunities and haven't even got a response. (maybe its us!!)

When we arrived we applied for a JOB Network Card which you need when applying for some jobs. When I had my interview with them, they also told me they wouldn't look at my references and advised me that most employers would not be bothered to contact the UK.

I wonder now why I badgered my boss for weeks to get a recent reference I could bring with me.

Anyway I am not personally down about the job situation, I was surprised about the response to Uk references, I don't understand the attitude of not accepting previous experience etc. I have recruited staff from different countries myself OZ,NZ,France, Holland) when I was in UK and although I would need to understand the comparison of work and experience I never considered their experience invalid, and a reference is just a call away.

I will look at other opportunities, volunteering etc, I expect one way or another things will fall into place. If and when I am successful in getting work I will also post this good news on the forum too.
Doesn't help your situation, but for information for others, I had references taken up with previous UK employers. This was for a government job and they rang a referee I gave them in the UK.

Old Oct 3rd 2003, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

After completing an online application form I was invited to attend an interview with the Colemyers group, I had to ring in for detaisl and wa told to bring documentation with me, CV, Visa etc, to dress smart and that I would be taking an aptitude test.

When I arrived with 20 other 'shop shelf filling wannabies' and I must say I felt very out of place being the only person in a suit. Only one of three over the age of 35 and only Brit.

I had to recomplete the form I had already completed online. The aptitide test consisted of a 10 minutes (don't you pick up your pen until I tell you) maths test fairly simple arithmatic and number matching. I was going to ask (jokingly) if they had a calculator but gatehred from the temperature of the room that joviality would be frowned upon. I am no mathematical genius in any shape or form but I completed the test in about 5 mins. I checked over the answers and looked about I saw people counting on fingers furiously filling in the squares. I sat patiently until the instruction to put pens down was given.

We were then told we would be interviewed individually. I was called first and picked up my file expecting to be led away to a private place where I could sing my praises on filling shelves, did this once before you know. It was in a sweet warehouse and many sweet bags happened to burst especially chocolate ones and then were duly eaten by staff, Yummy.

Anyway I digress, I was guided to a table about two feet from where I had been sitting and was asked if I had found the test easy, I said it was easy if I got the answers right. Don't worry I was told you only need 50% to get a pass mark. I was then asked about my availability and geographical area etc.

When it came to references I gave the name of my Oz employment consultant as he had advised me to. I was told this was not acceptable. I said i had 20 years work experience in UK and had certificates from many of my previous employes with me, I said they could easily be contacted via email or phone. I was told none of these were acceptable, they wouldn't consider contacting the UK.

I was told I would hear their decision in two weeks and if successful I would be required to attend another interview.

Donna

"Boy" luck seems to play a part in things...... (To partly quote Clint Eastwood.......... "do you feel lucky"................)
It could have gone the other way and they called the U.K .........best of luck for the next time........and hey who no's you might have got the job... ...........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.