Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

First Impressions of Oz

First Impressions of Oz

Old Jun 21st 2009, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

Walkabout has a spectacular aura aboutWalkabout has a spectacular aura aboutWalkabout has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: First Impressions of Oz

Originally Posted by AndyR
We arrived in Brisbane just over a week ago now as we plan on spending the year traveling while we wait for our 175 to be processed. We spent 3 weeks in New Zealand before we arrived and had the most amazing time, the people there were so friendly that it totally blew us away, so we arrived in Oz really excited.

However, its not exactly been the best time so far We had done a lot of research before coming so had our exceptions set and a lot of these (food prices, costs of items, bugs etc) are all as we expected so thats fine, however one this we didn't expect to encounter is the appalling attitude of the people here!!! Things we have experienced so far:-
  • People are NOT friendly round here. Tried talking to lots of people in shops/out and about and they are just rude as hell. Say hi when you get to a checkout and they ignore you for example.
  • How many people stare at you with an expression like they have just crapped there pants?
  • People walk round completely oblivious to anyone else
  • Constantly getting bumped into where-ever you go, and no one ever says sorry
  • The way blokes in shops/restaurants ignore women is plain rude
  • People spitting on the street all the time
  • Never seen so many people smoking!!
  • Does anyone ever wash there hands in this country? No wonder swine flu is spreading so quick in Oz! Also seen lots of parents telling there little kids not to wash there hands after using the loo as its only a wee/poo ?!?!?!?
  • Total lack of manners from people
  • Racism - WOW! Its so blatant around here. Even had to get off a train early because a group of lads were harassing people on the train who were Kiwi or British, plus saw some very proud Ozzies families on the City Cat acting like complete idiots just to cause a scene.
  • Never had so many people let doors go in my face
  • People always squeeze through in front of you and look at you like you were at fault
  • Been bumped into so many times and they then look at you completely gormlessly!
  • General gormless attitude of people when you walk round, its like being in Land of the Dead.
  • The pace of life seems SOOOOO fast. Feel like your getting your heels chomped on the high street people walk so fast and everyone always seems to be in a rush wherever you go.

Hate to moan as we had been looking forward to this place for so long, but its just draining now. Like I say, before we came here we spent 3 weeks in New Zealand and they people there were met, every single one was superb. Never once felt uncomfortable, people were always friendly, if someone ever bumped you in the street they apologized etc.

All it feels like at the moment in Brisbane is London with much better weather and thats a serious shock. Everyone makes such a thing about how nice the Ozzies are but so far the only people which have been polite/civil are the Chinese/Koreans we've seen. Not seen many brits yet but every single Ozzie we have come across has been a total nightmare, and the amount of racism/crude attitude of people is a real eyeopener.

Sorry to rant, just had to vent a bit thats all. Hopefully it'll all change when we get out of Brisbane and into some less populated areas.
OMG, I could have written this post word for word but I haven't because they have guns here.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

zimbo70 will become famous soon enough

I still think they are more polite than people who live and work in London. Just my opion. In other words just another big city. Try the smaller towns people are more friendly
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 2:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hannash
just reading comments on unfriendly aussies in cities , just wondering how many irish were on a bus looking at all the nice sights in brisbane when the windows of there bus came in on top of them with bricks and stones courtesy of those friendly wee irish people .well thats what happened today in belfast to oz and norwegian tourists ,beat that for unfriendliness
No, but there have been Irish backpackers kidnapped and murdered here.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 2:33 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

We arrived in Brisbane just over a week ago...
I stopped reading at this point.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 2:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
I admit I am very rude to people I don't know or people I just don't care for. I have learnt that this is the best way not to be manipulated or bullied into doing something or giving in to someone. I tried the polite refusal for several years and it only led to an eventual argument when I wouldn't relent.

So now I am a rude and obnoxious tosser from the very start and as a result I get a satisfactory ending.
I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt, but yeah you end up getting burnt and you always remember getting burnt, even if it's just minor.

For example the other day I was at the deli counter at Woolies.

I noticed a small middle aged woman standing over the other side. She looked annoyed because no one had noticed her.

Because I'm taller, the deli assistant noticed me and came straight over. I pointed out the lady waiting and that she'd been there before me. Decent thing to do right?

The deli assistant then goes over and promptly serves the woman. Woman still huffing like a twat orders her food. She snatches the food and walks off like someone had murdered her family. WTF? You got served you cow.

The woman knew I'd done this good deed but she didn't acknowledge it.

I felt that was rude. She could have waved, said thanks or even just offered a smile. Nothing.

You start to question whether you should be a gentlemen. If the roles were reversed I bet the old chook would go first. She wouldn't give crap about me.

There are so many middle aged people here with a bad attitude.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 5:34 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

My wife went shopping at coles the other day and forgot her credit cards
But some random stranger offered to pay for her shopping, he gave her his contact details to pay him back and when she called him he told her to give the money to a good cause.
So you get nice and nasty people in all cities.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 6:19 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northerner
I stopped reading at this point.
x2

Plus a quick scan the other pages through revealed the usual angels of death passing comment.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

We arrived in Brisbane just over a week ago now as we plan on spending the year traveling while we wait for our 175 to be processed. We spent 3 weeks in New Zealand before we arrived and had the most amazing time, the people there were so friendly that it totally blew us away, so we arrived in Oz really excited.

However, its not exactly been the best time so far We had done a lot of research before coming so had our exceptions set and a lot of these (food prices, costs of items, bugs etc) are all as we expected so thats fine, however one this we didn't expect to encounter is the appalling attitude of the people here!!! Things we have experienced so far:-
  • People are NOT friendly round here. Tried talking to lots of people in shops/out and about and they are just rude as hell. Say hi when you get to a checkout and they ignore you for example.
  • How many people stare at you with an expression like they have just crapped there pants?
  • People walk round completely oblivious to anyone else
  • Constantly getting bumped into where-ever you go, and no one ever says sorry
  • The way blokes in shops/restaurants ignore women is plain rude
  • People spitting on the street all the time
  • Never seen so many people smoking!!
  • Does anyone ever wash there hands in this country? No wonder swine flu is spreading so quick in Oz! Also seen lots of parents telling there little kids not to wash there hands after using the loo as its only a wee/poo ?!?!?!?
  • Total lack of manners from people
  • Racism - WOW! Its so blatant around here. Even had to get off a train early because a group of lads were harassing people on the train who were Kiwi or British, plus saw some very proud Ozzies families on the City Cat acting like complete idiots just to cause a scene.
  • Never had so many people let doors go in my face
  • People always squeeze through in front of you and look at you like you were at fault
  • Been bumped into so many times and they then look at you completely gormlessly!
  • General gormless attitude of people when you walk round, its like being in Land of the Dead.
  • The pace of life seems SOOOOO fast. Feel like your getting your heels chomped on the high street people walk so fast and everyone always seems to be in a rush wherever you go.

Hate to moan as we had been looking forward to this place for so long, but its just draining now. Like I say, before we came here we spent 3 weeks in New Zealand and they people there were met, every single one was superb. Never once felt uncomfortable, people were always friendly, if someone ever bumped you in the street they apologized etc.

All it feels like at the moment in Brisbane is London with much better weather and thats a serious shock. Everyone makes such a thing about how nice the Ozzies are but so far the only people which have been polite/civil are the Chinese/Koreans we've seen. Not seen many brits yet but every single Ozzie we have come across has been a total nightmare, and the amount of racism/crude attitude of people is a real eyeopener.

Sorry to rant, just had to vent a bit thats all. Hopefully it'll all change when we get out of Brisbane and into some less populated areas.
As you would expect, there are all kinds of people in a country and Australia is no different. I lived in Sydney for a couple of years studying at a Uni and here's my impression about australians-

- about 20% of the aussies are very nice, friendly, helpful, interested in foreigners. they are also usually well-traveled and open minded people.
- about 30% of the aussies are neutral or indifferant to the presence of migrants. they accept migrants to be part of life and it doesn't make them any happier or uphappier. these are generally middle-class, educated, well-to-do australians.
- about 40% of the aussies wished they did not have any immigrants in their country. they would usaully ignore you, seem aloof and uninterested. They will pretend that you don't exist, you could easily say this is kind of rude. However, these guys will also not be vocal about their feeling. This is the working class segment of the society.
- and you have the rest 10% extremists.... they will throw comments at you, especially when they are drunk or you are alone. some will even try to physically harm you, if an opportunity exists. This segment is a mixed bag i.e. they are everywhere to some extent but perhaps more prevailant among teenagers, jobless, failed or unsuccessful people.

I guess most members will agree on the categories but differ on the proportion depending on individual experiences.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

mattie is just really nicemattie is just really nicemattie is just really nicemattie is just really nicemattie is just really nicemattie is just really nicemattie is just really nicemattie is just really nice

Originally Posted by kporte
Not nearly as much as you.
You're an angry chap for some reason?
That'll be chapette
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Potato_potato
No, but there have been Irish backpackers kidnapped and murdered here.
And bashed for their wallet and left in a coma for 7 months.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 10:48 pm
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hutch
x2

Plus a quick scan the other pages through revealed the usual angels of death passing comment.
Talking about yourself again?
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 10:55 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Before this thread degenerates into mud-slinging and personal abuse, I suggest that a few people stop and think before posting. Any more insults on here and bans will be issued.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 4:38 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Before this thread degenerates into mud-slinging and personal abuse, I suggest that a few people stop and think before posting. Any more insults on here and bans will be issued.
go on ban the lot of them
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 5:25 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
go on ban the lot of them
D'you want me to put a spell on you and turn you into a frog or something?
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 5:30 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
D'you want me to put a spell on you and turn you into a frog or something?
Thought he already was one

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.