Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

First Impressions of Oz

First Impressions of Oz

Old Jun 24th 2009, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: First Impressions of Oz

Originally Posted by the troubadour
As in an out of control bush fire which is best left to burn itself out.
If you can't handle the heat...
Old Jun 24th 2009, 5:51 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyR
We're in Oz to stay (as long as the visa turns up) and we'll make it work now matter what as we are already fitting in now. From now on though I'll stay off the forum, only reading the posts I want to but not contributing anymore, its just not worth the hassle.

Best of luck AndyR. I hope that you continue to post on the forum. It should not be a hassle at all....just ignore any posts that get on your nerves, that's what I do !

Good to hear that the gold coast is treating you better that brisbane !

cheers
Old Jun 24th 2009, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

PJLondonSydney is a jewel in the roughPJLondonSydney is a jewel in the roughPJLondonSydney is a jewel in the roughPJLondonSydney is a jewel in the roughPJLondonSydney is a jewel in the rough

Oh its OK, we are adjusting fine since we left Brisbane, its must better now and everything is panning out as we expected (parking ticket excluded ).

Only reason I made the last post as I'm sick in the bashing I am taking because of the thread. Been getting private messages from people telling me suck it up, bugger off home yada yada, stop being a whinging pom and I just can't be arsed with it all anymore.

We're in Oz to stay (as long as the visa turns up) and we'll make it work now matter what as we are already fitting in now. From now on though I'll stay off the forum, only reading the posts I want to but not contributing anymore, its just not worth the hassle.
Nasty PMs are not on. I don't think the "thumbs down" in the title endeared you to all as it seemed like an outright attack on their country of choice. A strong post is really likely to elicit strong responses and converts to a country are most likely to be its strongest defenders, even if not ita most rational.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

hannash is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ColdAsIce
My experience of Australia to date

The bad!-EXPENSIVE! EXPENSIVE! EXPENSIVE!
-Lots of people very rude!
-Australian $ is worth nothing, always will be
-The country is too isolated, your days of travelling, experiencing other cultures and cuisines are literally over!
-Café’s / Good restaurants seem to be always over crowded, lack of choice and lack of variety.
-Lots of houses are made of wood – very cheap, I have seen 3rd world developments better then that of Australia
-It can get very cold here too! Lots of houses are made out of wood and have no central heating. I am talking about Brisbane and Sydney in were I have been living.
-When it rains then it really rains here
-Australian infrastructure is probably the worst, the trains are easily older then I am.
-Sydney – All people are interested in is living by the sea, beach on door step etc…people forget that the average person cannot afford such property and instead you have based yourself 30-45 minutes outside Sydney city, in a ugly suburb.
-A nation of immigrants, Lots of Australians complain about immigrants but what is an Australian? Who is an Australian? They all came from everywhere but Australia
-SUN! you burn too quickly and easily nothing like what any European is used to, and I am used to going to hot places but the sun here is like being put in a microwave.
-Police seem too bored and set up speed traps everywhere! Police blocks etc.
-Some of the cities here only have 1-2 roads going in and out of them like Sydney
-Technology! Way behind in terms of everything eg TV, internet/broadband,wifi etc just basic essentials.
-Lack of opportuntys in terms of work. You only got 4-5 main cities and that is it!
-They dont sell FOSTERS beer, not that i like this beer anyway
-Takes forever to get anywhere, for a bank holiday weekend away you got to book well in advance to do anything
-Lack of airlines = At times flight prices can be expensice, sometimes cheap too when only desperate

The good!-Weather is very nice most of the time but there are plenty of days when it is too hot! And you cant sleep, but lots of times it is nice
-Beaches!
-Very clean here, in particular the cities if you compare it to London, Dublin etc.
-Ute’s I like the look of them and don’t seem to be sold anywhere else but Australia.
-Some good beers out this way

Weather and beaches is the best part of Australia, apart from that.

SO YES VERY OVER RATED! But still good.
what was your opinion of the food yourve had the chance to try/???
Old Jun 24th 2009, 6:59 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
Nobody deserves to be subjected to poetry like that.
Why not. The OP is a bit of a yokel, no? There have been other yokels before, no? Yokel can be nice but has limits like not being able to look beyond the immediate purview; in this instance the Brisbane CBD which happens to be populated with what appears to be Asian student yokels with either insufficient money or insufficient wit to do more than shuffle aimlessly around the same streets hawking onto the pavement and slothfully bumping into the other inmates.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 7:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WillBlack
Why not. The OP is a bit of a yokel, no? There have been other yokels before, no? Yokel can be nice but has limits like not being able to look beyond the immediate purview; in this instance the Brisbane CBD which happens to be populated with what appears to be Asian student yokels with either insufficient money or insufficient wit to do more than shuffle aimlessly around the same streets hawking onto the pavement and slothfully bumping into the other inmates.
Can we keep the personal comments out of threads please. The OP has already explained both circumstances and how things have now changed for him. The OP was his perception at the time. We all have them whether good or bad. His was bad, doesn't make him any less of a human being to anyone else.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 7:14 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Potato_potato
The women in Perth are hot.
Hot???

And here's me thinkng they were fat.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 7:18 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by PJLondonSydney
as it seemed like an outright attack on their country of choice.
Well if that's the case those offended need to buy a box of Kleenex and harden the f **k up!
Old Jun 24th 2009, 7:19 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Can we keep the personal comments out of threads please. The OP has already explained both circumstances and how things have now changed for him. The OP was his perception at the time. We all have them whether good or bad. His was bad, doesn't make him any less of a human being to anyone else.
I wish the OP well and hope that (s)he is not placed in a circumstance dictating a rush to judgement. A long flight, a new place, a lot of stuff to organize, limited backout options and youth can conspire to make the small seem threateningly large.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Deancm
Hot???

And here's me thinkng they were fat.
I don't look at fat women. My radar was picking up quiet alot of 8's and 9's in Perth though.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 7:40 am
Account Closed

My radar was picking up quiet alot of 8's and 9's in Perth though.
Compared to what?
Old Jun 24th 2009, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Deancm
Compared to what?
Compared to Melbourne. Sooooooooooooo many plain Janes down there.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 7:54 am
Account Closed

Compared to Melbourne. Sooooooooooooo many plain Janes down there.
What had you been taking?
Old Jun 24th 2009, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by WillBlack
Why not. The OP is a bit of a yokel, no?
And people wonder why I said I'm not going to post anymore.....I rest my case

Cya BE I'm outta here!!!!
Old Jun 24th 2009, 10:39 am
Banned

And people wonder why I said I'm not going to post anymore.....I rest my case

Cya BE I'm outta here!!!!
Here are some definitions of the word yokel:
http://www.answers.com/yokel

You will notice they have mostly been framed by city based yokels.

Case dismissed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.