Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

First Home Buyers Grant on 457 Visa!! Possible??

First Home Buyers Grant on 457 Visa!! Possible??

Old Apr 18th 2008, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

Sariman will become famous soon enoughSariman will become famous soon enough
Default First Home Buyers Grant on 457 Visa!! Possible??

Hi everyone
I have just bought a house in Melbourne. I am still on 457 Visa but received our pre-grant latter for my 136 application already (by the way what pre-grant latter means?). Just wondering if there is any way to apply for the First Home Buyers grant.
Any comments and information is welcome.

Thanks
Old Apr 18th 2008, 4:20 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Home Buyers Grant on 457 Visa!! Possible??

Originally Posted by Sariman
Hi everyone
I have just bought a house in Melbourne. I am still on 457 Visa but received our pre-grant latter for my 136 application already (by the way what pre-grant latter means?). Just wondering if there is any way to apply for the First Home Buyers grant.

Thanks
Would have thought if you have already bought the house whilst on a temp visa, you will not get the grant in retrospect.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 4:22 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone

Thanks
Nope.

You (or at least one applicant) must be a permanent resident or Australian citizen at the time of settlement or completion of construction of the home

http://www.sro.vic.gov.au/sro/SROWeb...tes_fhog.htm#3
Old Apr 18th 2008, 4:30 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bcworld
Nope.

You (or at least one applicant) must be a permanent resident or Australian citizen at the time of settlement or completion of construction of the home

As far as I am aware you can claim it back if you become a PR within a year of settlement
Old Apr 18th 2008, 4:32 am
Forum Regular

Nope.

I know this but once I get my PR will they check when I got it? I know it is possible to apply for FHB after the settlement but my problem is, as you said, the Visa
Old Apr 18th 2008, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Vanessa
As far as I am aware you can claim it back if you become a PR within a year of settlement
Where did you see this? any resource?
Old Apr 18th 2008, 4:36 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Where did you see this? any resource?
For a definitive answer you should contact the Vic State Revenue Office.....they are responsible for payment of FHOGs. The line I quoted above was from their website.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

For a definitive answer you should contact the Vic State Revenue Office.....they are responsible for payment of FHOGs. The line I quoted above was from their website.
Thanks but couldnt find the quote there. It says you have 12 month after the settlement to apply for it, is that what you mean?
Old Apr 18th 2008, 4:49 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Thanks but couldnt find the quote there. It says you have 12 month after the settlement to apply for it, is that what you mean?
No, it says:

'You (or at least one applicant) must be a permanent resident or Australian citizen at the time of settlement or completion of construction of the home'
Old Apr 18th 2008, 4:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

I was on the understanding that in NSW you can claim the value of the grant if you get PR within 12 months after you buy a house.

But I think that I have only read about people doing it on here - not from any official source.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

No, it says:

'You (or at least one applicant) must be a permanent resident or Australian citizen at the time of settlement or completion of construction of the home'
Yes that is what I found too. It seems there is no way to claim the grant
Old Apr 18th 2008, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like VIC is different to NSW

I have just been reading the NSW rules...

- You must have PR to apply for the grant
- You must apply for the grant within 12 months of completion of the purchase

AND VERY IMPORTANTLY...

It says on the application form:

NOTE: At least one applicant must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident at the date of application

So in NSW you do not need PR at time of purchase, only to apply with 12 months and have PR at the time of application - as I have read on here before.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

VIC has always the most restricted rules among others and the most expensive stamp duty too!!!!
for attention of those thinking to move to Melbourne!!!!

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
Looks like VIC is different to NSW

I have just been reading the NSW rules...

- You must have PR to apply for the grant
- You must apply for the grant within 12 months of completion of the purchase

AND VERY IMPORTANTLY...

It says on the application form:

NOTE: At least one applicant must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident at the date of application

So in NSW you do not need PR at time of purchase, only to apply with 12 months and have PR at the time of application - as I have read on here before.