Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

First few days - how does this sound?

First few days - how does this sound?

Old Jul 21st 2009, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all
Default First few days - how does this sound?

I'm getting myself more and more wound up by worrying about the little things ahead of the move just now I honestly need to chill out a bit!

Anyway, I was thinking about what we need to do when we land, and have been reading loads of threads on here to get an idea.

Here's my plan so far. How does this sound?

1) Get out and meet recruitment consultants
2) Go to meet our bank manager
3) Find a rental

After finding a rental (I'm thinking these are things that will need a more permanent address than the 2 week apartment we're staying in)
4) Buy a car
5) Get a TFN
6) Register with Medicare
7) Get a QLD driving licence
Old Jul 21st 2009, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First few days - how does this sound?

Originally Posted by cookiestar
I'm getting myself more and more wound up by worrying about the little things ahead of the move just now I honestly need to chill out a bit!

Anyway, I was thinking about what we need to do when we land, and have been reading loads of threads on here to get an idea.

Here's my plan so far. How does this sound?

1) Get out and meet recruitment consultants
2) Go to meet our bank manager
3) Find a rental

After finding a rental (I'm thinking these are things that will need a more permanent address than the 2 week apartment we're staying in)
4) Buy a car
5) Get a TFN
6) Register with Medicare
7) Get a QLD driving licence

About spot on, I'd say...Only I'd do the registering with Medicare sooner..That's so important.

Another point, which I have harped on very much previously, is the fact that you should re-do your CV and tailor this for Australian Market.

If you don't have a job then you may need to provide a long bond for renting a property I fear...

Don't forget, get as many references as you can...Even getting a rented accommodation requires providing of refs.

Anyway, finally, don't worry about it...Things tend to happen naturally and I am sure you'll be alright...

Remember to treat this as an adventure and good luck to you
Old Jul 21st 2009, 10:23 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

First things first - Take a deep breath, stop, smell the air, go to the nicest place in the area, have a drink and relax. Then start the run around. To be honest, I wouldn't plan too much, go with the flow, it all depends on how you feel after the flight.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
First things first - Take a deep breath, stop, smell the air, go to the nicest place in the area, have a drink and relax.
I like this advice

On the rental issue - you're spot on there, we won't have jobs in all likelihood, and have never rented before so won't have references either. We will however have a substantial amount of money in the bank, so are hoping a copy of our bank statement, perhaps coupled with an offer of paying 3 months up front will help.

Medicare - you suggest registering earlier, but won't we need an address to do this?

Tailoring the CV - any pointers on where to look for advice on this? I've been applying for jobs already, and have been using my standard (though updated obviously) CV. Plus the jobs I've applied for require you to address a load of Key Selection Criteria in writing, so I've been concentrating on them rather than the basic CV.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 10:41 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I like this advice

On the rental issue - you're spot on there, we won't have jobs in all likelihood, and have never rented before so won't have references either. We will however have a substantial amount of money in the bank, so are hoping a copy of our bank statement, perhaps coupled with an offer of paying 3 months up front will help.

Medicare - you suggest registering earlier, but won't we need an address to do this?

Tailoring the CV - any pointers on where to look for advice on this? I've been applying for jobs already, and have been using my standard (though updated obviously) CV. Plus the jobs I've applied for require you to address a load of Key Selection Criteria in writing, so I've been concentrating on them rather than the basic CV.
Your plan re renting is sound. If you say that you can and will pay 3 or 6 months upfront it should help you a lot.

With regard Medicare, you do need an address but we just asked the manager of the place we were staying to write on their stationery stating that you were booked for a period and that you were looking for a long term rental. You have to leave it a few days for the Customs computers to pass their info on to Medicare. Worked very easily for us.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

I like this advice

We stayed at the flat provided by the company for 1 month and used that address, then informed the medicare people of our rented address.

About CV, try these sites:

britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=507134

www.moving-to-melbourne.co.uk/news/?p=517

http://jobs.au.hudson.com/node.asp?kwd=auaf-cv

http://www.tribuslingua.com.au/blog/...lian-cv-resume

Hope these help you...
Old Jul 21st 2009, 10:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you have most things thought of & great advice from MP (she can manage it now & again!)
Don't stress over everything. I forgot completely about medicare & didn't register for nearly 4 weeks. There is a reciprocal agreement with UK, so if the worst happens, you will still get care!

Lots of luck & enjoy
Good luck
Old Jul 21st 2009, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Fab. Thanks for the links too.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 3:23 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Fab. Thanks for the links too.
Did not read the whole thing, sorry - I'd get the driver license first thing, because every other place you go to wants to see an ID and a proof of address of some sort. In absence of regular bills for the POA you could use a letter you can get from your bank manager when you open your account, but your driver license goes for both ID and the POA. Neat, and only takes about 15 minutes to get anyway.

My 2c worth

NJ
Old Jul 21st 2009, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Would my passport and a bank statement not be enough for ID? I don't want to have to pay for a QLD driving licence with my temp address on it (only staying there 2 weeks) and then have to go again for one with my permanent rental address on it.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 5:40 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Would my passport and a bank statement not be enough for ID? I don't want to have to pay for a QLD driving licence with my temp address on it (only staying there 2 weeks) and then have to go again for one with my permanent rental address on it.
It would, it is just easier with the local ID, less staring at. I'd say do it as soon as you move in to something more or less permanent.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

minibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud of

If you change address you can go on line and change your details, they send you a sticker to attach to the back, you have 14 days to change your details, i am on my 3rd address now. I found it useful to have a Qld when i first arrived (within a week)

minibelle
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 7:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by minibelle
If you change address you can go on line and change your details, they send you a sticker to attach to the back, you have 14 days to change your details, i am on my 3rd address now. I found it useful to have a Qld when i first arrived (within a week)

minibelle
I don't think they charge for that or do they?