Reload this Page >

First entry on permanent resident visa questions

First entry on permanent resident visa questions

Old Dec 14th 2012, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

ronson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default First entry on permanent resident visa questions

Good day to all,
I got my PR visa granted recently and I was hoping to do the first entry next year. Earlier I planned a vacation for the holidays in Australia while I still had my tourist visa. So am travelling for my holiday to Oz later this month. I know this will activate the PR visa but do I need to go now to Centrelink, Medicare, open bank account etc? I would rather prefer to do that when I move there next year. Furthermore I highly doubt they will be working during the holidays.

Also when I land there for my vacation later this month do I need to tick "A: Migrating permanently to Australia" or "B: Visitor or temporary entrant" on the landing card? Again I will not move on this visit, I will only stay for a week or two.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Old Dec 14th 2012, 1:58 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First entry on permanent resident visa questions

Originally Posted by ronson
Good day to all,
I got my PR visa granted recently and I was hoping to do the first entry next year. Earlier I planned a vacation for the holidays in Australia while I still had my tourist visa. So am travelling for my holiday to Oz later this month. I know this will activate the PR visa but do I need to go now to Centrelink, Medicare, open bank account etc? I would rather prefer to do that when I move there next year. Furthermore I highly doubt they will be working during the holidays.

Also when I land there for my vacation later this month do I need to tick "A: Migrating permanently to Australia" or "B: Visitor or temporary entrant" on the landing card? Again I will not move on this visit, I will only stay for a week or two.

Thank you in advance for your help.
If you are on holiday and only visiting to validate your visa there is no need to register with Medicare. You only need to register with centrelink if you are entitled to any benefits from them so no point doing that when you are on holiday either. If you can find time to open a bank account though that might be handy as it will mean its ready for you to move money into when you emigrate.

As for the passenger card, tick whatever you like, its only for the collection of statistics.
Old Dec 14th 2012, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the prompt answer Pollyana. Would you recommend a good bank where I can do this?
Old Dec 14th 2012, 2:17 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the prompt answer Pollyana. Would you recommend a good bank where I can do this?
I'm not very financially minded I'm afraid. However as your queries aren't really visa related, but more lifestyle stuff, I'll move your thread to the main forum where there is plenty of discussion about banks etc.
Old Dec 14th 2012, 8:32 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I know Wespac has a migrant banking centre, but all the big banks are pretty same same. We've been with ANZ since we first arrived, but I also have accounts at BankWest (subsidiary of Commonwealth) and with a small credit union in WA.
Old Dec 15th 2012, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light

Would imagine you would need to have an Australian address to open anything in person but I did open a bank account with Westpac from the UK using UK address.
Old Dec 15th 2012, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

Hi all, thank you for your replies. Yes, you can open Westpac account online and the identity verification is done when you arrive.
Old Dec 15th 2012, 7:27 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garyp
Would imagine you would need to have an Australian address to open anything in person but I did open a bank account with Westpac from the UK using UK address.
I have a fully functional westpac account - I did ID verification in London so we have bank cards already too
Old Dec 15th 2012, 7:52 pm
Arrived Oz Oct 2013

Elizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to all

I've just been on a two week holiday to validate my PR visa and on immigration card I marked that it was a holiday. While there I opened two bank accounts one with ANZ and one with Westpac it was very easy as we had just entered the country and validated the visa. I would suggest opening your bank account as soon as you get there as they only need to see the visa and the date of entry on your passport, you do not need to have an Australian address (although I did use my daughters Aussie address to have cards delivered to).

Good luck and enjoy your holiday.