Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

First encounter with a dangerous animal

First encounter with a dangerous animal

Old Dec 29th 2004, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

slimdonnybabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default First encounter with a dangerous animal

Opened my oven door last night to switch it on and there was a White Tail spider looking at me. Quickly got a shoe to squash the bleeder but it escaped down a hole under the oven just in time. Must admit it really freaked me.
To make matters worse, a neighbour said that January is 'spider month' in Melbourne. Oh Lordy!!
Old Dec 29th 2004, 9:17 pm
Melbourne Rock City

rubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: First encounter with a dangerous animal

Originally Posted by slimdonnybabe
Opened my oven door last night to switch it on and there was a White Tail spider looking at me. Quickly got a shoe to squash the bleeder but it escaped down a hole under the oven just in time. Must admit it really freaked me.
To make matters worse, a neighbour said that January is 'spider month' in Melbourne. Oh Lordy!!
IGNITE THE OVEN, IGNITE THE OVEN !!!!!!!!!!

:-)
Old Dec 29th 2004, 9:20 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by slimdonnybabe
Its an insect not an animal.

Last edited by wombat42; Dec 29th 2004 at 10:02 pm.

Old Dec 29th 2004, 9:27 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42
Its an insect not an animal. :rolleyes
Actually it is an animal, and not an insect. It's an arachnid.

Well.....I was voted biggest anorak of the year by Moneypen!
Old Dec 29th 2004, 10:04 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by tonyk38
Actually it is an animal, and not an insect. It's an arachnid.

Well.....I was voted biggest anorak of the year by Moneypen!
l did'nt know that , l thought they were insects. :

Old Dec 29th 2004, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

stressfree is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wombat42
l did'nt know that , l thought they were insects. :
Arachnid sharachnid, do they kill you!!!! :scared: :scared:
Old Dec 29th 2004, 10:24 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stressfree
Arachnid sharachnid, do they kill you!!!! :scared: :scared:
Possibly......maybe.......well.......
Old Dec 29th 2004, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

stressfree is an unknown quantity at this point

Possibly......maybe.......well.......
I thought you were an anorach.
Old Dec 29th 2004, 10:33 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by stressfree
I thought you were an anorach.
I wear my dayglo outerwear with pride!

Whitetails are poisonous, and their bite is rumored to induce necrosis, like the Black Widow. The bite is painful, but people are rarely bitten.

So dangerous? Probably......
Old Dec 29th 2004, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

I wear my dayglo outerwear with pride!

Whitetails are poisonous, and their bite is rumored to induce necrosis, like the Black Widow. The bite is painful, but people are rarely bitten.

So dangerous? Probably......
Hi,

this my first posting in this forum.....
As my Husband and I just talking about where to settle, Australia was coming up....
but I'm so afraid of all kinds of bugs, expecially spiders....do you get in contact with them a lot???
Old Dec 29th 2004, 10:52 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by eurotramp
Hi,

As my Husband and I just talking about where to settle, Australia was coming up....
but I'm so afraid of all kinds of bugs, expecially spiders....do you get in contact with them a lot???
I think it can depend a bit on the areas that you go to, and on how much time you spend gardening !!

I hate spiders, I detest them, and yes, I am scared of them! But i've lived in Australia for 14 years and have survived without being bitten. In fact I think I can safely say I have so far not even been touched by one, nor have I touched one myself. I tend to spray any I see, then hit them with the fly spray can.

There has been the odd occasion when I see a spider web outside the front door, but I then get my wife to get rid of it before I go through the door

We have a "Pest Control" done in the house each year ($165) and that seems to keep the house spider free for 11 months. Although we do also have one of those electronic spider repellers ($40) in the kitchen aswell.

Old Dec 29th 2004, 10:53 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by eurotramp
Hi,

Everybody's experience is different, but in 5 months of staying in grotty backpackers, I saw no Whitetails, no Redbacks and only a few Huntsmans (which are bloody huge but harmless).

Others have seen loads, though lots of people find encounters are not that common.

You're about a zillion times more likely to be injured or killed on Australia's roads. They are the one thing I genuinely fear in Aus.....
Old Dec 29th 2004, 11:25 pm
Go Banana's !!

We had one in our kitchen within the first few days of me getting back to Oz. We hadn't seen anything on any of our other trips so this was our first dice with danger !

I kept it alive long enough to show Imogen so at least she knew for the future.

I think its important that the young ones see them for real and not just in a book so they can get a full appreciation of their size, colour and shape so they know for the future.

Oh no, I am turning into an anorach................................

Warren

Old Dec 30th 2004, 1:23 am
Badge

In the main, spiders in Australia are nothing to worry about - at all. Wear gloves in the garden and in the garage.

We have a few white-tails in the garage. A few in the house. I wish we could get a decent sized huntsman.

BM

Old Dec 30th 2004, 1:35 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I think it can depend a bit on the areas that you go to, and on how much time you spend gardening !!

I hate spiders, I detest them, and yes, I am scared of them! But i've lived in Australia for 14 years and have survived without being bitten. In fact I think I can safely say I have so far not even been touched by one, nor have I touched one myself. I tend to spray any I see, then hit them with the fly spray can.

There has been the odd occasion when I see a spider web outside the front door, but I then get my wife to get rid of it before I go through the door

We have a "Pest Control" done in the house each year ($165) and that seems to keep the house spider free for 11 months. Although we do also have one of those electronic spider repellers ($40) in the kitchen aswell.
l have lived in OZ all my life and have never been bitten by a spider but have been bitten by bees and wasps. No one has died of a spider bite in OZ since the `1950's many more people die from bee and wasp stings in OZ.
Unless you pick up a spider or try to kill it with your bare hand its highly unlikely you will ever get bitten.

Last edited by wombat42; Dec 30th 2004 at 1:45 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.