Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

First 2 months in Melbourne

Wikiposts

First 2 months in Melbourne

Old Jul 1st 2004, 11:52 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First 2 months in Melbourne

Originally posted by Marakai
Harder to do at the US stations, as most of the rooms are dorms
Ahhh, sneaky sideways!
Old Jul 1st 2004, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

trehere is on a distinguished road

There is a Monsoon! On Collins Street and I suspect there is one at Chadstone as well.
I work about 10 mins from Chadstone, in fact I am on my way there in a bit for some Friday lunch! It is so huge I still haven't seen it all and get lost every time I go there! Theres some great stores there, what I miss is the middle of the road stores like Next and Dorothy Perks - Melbourne is great for expensive shops (Chapel Street) and cheap (Target!) but nothing in the middle.
Its great to be able to let people know things about Melbourne now we are here as well - I spent a lot of time learning a lot of things from this website before I came here!
Old Jul 1st 2004, 3:56 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by trehere
There is a Monsoon! On Collins Street and I suspect there is one at Chadstone as well.
I work about 10 mins from Chadstone, in fact I am on my way there in a bit for some Friday lunch! It is so huge I still haven't seen it all and get lost every time I go there! Theres some great stores there, what I miss is the middle of the road stores like Next and Dorothy Perks - Melbourne is great for expensive shops (Chapel Street) and cheap (Target!) but nothing in the middle.
Its great to be able to let people know things about Melbourne now we are here as well - I spent a lot of time learning a lot of things from this website before I came here!
I don't think theres a monsoon at Chadstone, Mrs has been there often. Yes it is huge, I'm sure they say its the biggest shopping centre in Southern Hemisphere. You should see it on the lead up to Xmas, what a nightmare. I prefer little Knox City myself.
Old Jul 1st 2004, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Bordy
I don't think theres a monsoon at Chadstone, Mrs has been there often. Yes it is huge, I'm sure they say its the biggest shopping centre in Southern Hemisphere. You should see it on the lead up to Xmas, what a nightmare. I prefer little Knox City myself.
www.chadstoneshopping.com.au
Old Jul 1st 2004, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Innyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud of

Originally posted by badgesagent
lol.

what a splendid idea!! would solve many social problems in places where many colleagues live together and have little privacy. eg Big Brother.

PS Houses are cold in Melbourne. Soon sorted with:
a) More jumpers
b) A Coonara
c) A fire.
d) A good attitude.
Seriously!

One of my stories:
I was brought up in the UK without central heating so don't suffer like many. When I was a kid in the UK, the only time we used the heat from a small fan heater was the 5 mins as u were getting dressed and that was for a paper round at 5.30am. I also found I never got the flus and colds like other kids as the heating makes you namby pamby. If a kid can do it so can an adult. Me and my brother used to laugh at all our guests suffering big time. We were all sitting around OK and they were jibbering.

I went camping in Snowdonia aged 13 in April I was the only kid in my class (along with my mate) who stripped down to my kacks and washed in the river at the camp site. All the other kids pretended to. My teachers were seriously impressed.

When I was 16 I recall doing the same in the SNOW!! I even shaved as well.

I also find that if its not TOO cold then just RELAX forget about it - then you find its not so cold after all. I'm deathly serious. Many the morning I tell myself it is cold and then I realise I just think it is. eg. Quite often jump out of bed, shivering, freezing - it IS relative to the nice warm pit you were in. But if you force yourself to NOT shiver, relax, put it all in perspective, you think "its not so bad after all". Just a bit of SELF DISCIPLINE. Seriously, a lot of it is in the mind. If that fails, make a cup of tea. Do 60 pressups. Jump in shower, towel off, put on clothes - sorted. It was only when MrsB arrived that I even turned on the fire.

BA
...........eeh you were lucky, when we got home from school, father used to carve us up with bread knife........
Old Jul 1st 2004, 7:32 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Innyjim
...........eeh you were lucky, when we got home from school, father used to carve us up with bread knife........

Your lucky you had a bread knife, Was a blunt pen knife for us.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 3:22 pm
Member who went to Aus

cutgrass is an unknown quantity at this point

Just thought I'd answer a few questions that popped up in the responses:

In terms of IT salary - yes, I got lucky. I have less responsibility in terms of people management than my job in the UK but there is a higher expectation that I have real analysis skills - and so am being paid for them.

It is cold. Don't go by the temperature though - 15 degrees in Melbourne feels colder than 15 degrees in the UK. I have no idea why - I'm from Yorkshire and I'm used to it being cold. Maybe it's because it's so dry, I really have no idea. I'm not arguing about it - I'm just saying it feels really cold.

As far as serviced apartments goes - the only ones I've seen that are really nice are Punt Hill on Punt Road because they are 3 bedroom and have a pool and spa downstairs - but they are really expensive though.

Craig
Old Jul 13th 2004, 3:35 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by cutgrass

It is cold. Don't go by the temperature though - 15 degrees in Melbourne feels colder than 15 degrees in the UK. I have no idea why - I'm from Yorkshire and I'm used to it being cold. Maybe it's because it's so dry, I really have no idea. I'm not arguing about it - I'm just saying it feels really cold.

Craig
Don't agree its ACTUALLY any "colder", but maybe we feel colder cos the houses have the insulation standards of an ice cube
Old Jul 13th 2004, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

I agree with the cold comments. I have to keep telling myself that its NOT cold. 15 degress is not cold for winter and all these people with scarfs on are wrong! However it really feels a lot colder than a UK 15 degrees. Maybe after spending a nice hot summer here it feels colder? I don't know! Have just bought a little heater anyway as the air conditioning unit just wasn't working!
Old Jul 13th 2004, 5:51 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Humidity is most likely factor for whether or not you feel cold. If melbourne has lower humidity at 15C than London at 15C (whcih it might) then you will probably feel colder, or is it the other way around?

Good old fashioned central heating is called "hydronic" heating here...it's that rare it has a funny name.

Comfortable temperatures are around 20-22C, and that's where most offices will be heated )or cooled) to. If it drops to 5C overnight and only gets to 14C in the day your house will be cold and you will feel it. Aaah I remember the days coming in from cold dark UK winters into a lovely comfortable warm house, just turn the thermostat by the front door to 21C and leave at that between October and March, a lot cheaper than running a 1.5kW electric fan thing too...

Anyway, you can keep Melbourne, 22.8C was the max here in Brisvegas today. Never did understand the attraction of Melbourne - move half way round the world to a city with European shops, European architecture, European weather, European transport system....may as well have stayed in Europe.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 6:12 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by badgesagent
lol.

what a splendid idea!! would solve many social problems in places where many colleagues live together and have little privacy. eg Big Brother.

PS Houses are cold in Melbourne. Soon sorted with:
a) More jumpers
b) A Coonara
c) A fire.
d) A good attitude.
Seriously!

One of my stories:
I was brought up in the UK without central heating so don't suffer like many. When I was a kid in the UK, the only time we used the heat from a small fan heater was the 5 mins as u were getting dressed and that was for a paper round at 5.30am. I also found I never got the flus and colds like other kids as the heating makes you namby pamby. If a kid can do it so can an adult. Me and my brother used to laugh at all our guests suffering big time. We were all sitting around OK and they were jibbering.

I went camping in Snowdonia aged 13 in April I was the only kid in my class (along with my mate) who stripped down to my kacks and washed in the river at the camp site. All the other kids pretended to. My teachers were seriously impressed.

When I was 16 I recall doing the same in the SNOW!! I even shaved as well.

I also find that if its not TOO cold then just RELAX forget about it - then you find its not so cold after all. I'm deathly serious. Many the morning I tell myself it is cold and then I realise I just think it is. eg. Quite often jump out of bed, shivering, freezing - it IS relative to the nice warm pit you were in. But if you force yourself to NOT shiver, relax, put it all in perspective, you think "its not so bad after all". Just a bit of SELF DISCIPLINE. Seriously, a lot of it is in the mind. If that fails, make a cup of tea. Do 60 pressups. Jump in shower, towel off, put on clothes - sorted. It was only when MrsB arrived that I even turned on the fire.

BA
Yep - central heating is the reason for the Decline and Fall of the British Empire - couldn't get the beggars to bugger orf to India after that. Look forward to the next wave to surge when the North Sea Oil conks out.

For those inclined to forward planning:
Oat Power
Old Jul 13th 2004, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

Anyway, you can keep Melbourne, 22.8C was the max here in Brisvegas today. Never did understand the attraction of Melbourne - move half way round the world to a city with European shops, European architecture, European weather, European transport system....may as well have stayed in Europe. [/QUOTE]

Been in Melbourne 8 months now and wouldn't exchange it for anywhere else. Mind, a bit of sunshine would be nice. Visited Brisbane in June and loved it, nice and warm. Not jealous at all. What more could you want.... great shops, beautiful architecture, 'flexible' weather, trams and friendly people!
Old Jul 13th 2004, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice

Originally posted by jayr
Humidity is most likely factor for whether or not you feel cold. If melbourne has lower humidity at 15C than London at 15C (whcih it might) then you will probably feel colder, or is it the other way around?

Good old fashioned central heating is called "hydronic" heating here...it's that rare it has a funny name.

Comfortable temperatures are around 20-22C, and that's where most offices will be heated )or cooled) to. If it drops to 5C overnight and only gets to 14C in the day your house will be cold and you will feel it. Aaah I remember the days coming in from cold dark UK winters into a lovely comfortable warm house, just turn the thermostat by the front door to 21C and leave at that between October and March, a lot cheaper than running a 1.5kW electric fan thing too...

Anyway, you can keep Melbourne, 22.8C was the max here in Brisvegas today. Never did understand the attraction of Melbourne - move half way round the world to a city with European shops, European architecture, European weather, European transport system....may as well have stayed in Europe.
Think you are right about the humidity being the factor. I remember holidaying once at Yosemite National Park, where it was very low humidity and though there was snow on the ground we were walking around in our shirtsleeves - and I'm the neshest person around. I think high humidity means when it's cold it feels colder and when it's hot it feels hotter. Only 51 days to go before I experience it for myself .
Can't wait.
Old Jul 15th 2004, 4:09 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by jayr
Never did understand the attraction of Melbourne - move half way round the world to a city with European shops, European architecture, European weather, European transport system....may as well have stayed in Europe.
There's no such thing as European anything. All the things you mention vary hugely across Europe, just as some things vary hugely across Oz. And as for staying in Europe, well however much we're in the EU, the UK is not mentally in Europe (yet).

But if your description of Melbourne is in any sense true, then that is its attraction. It's an encapulsation of Europe where people speak something like English: the perfect compromise! Emigrating to Europe would be a great idea but in practice they won't let you do it without the language skills.
Old Jul 15th 2004, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont find it cold at all.
The house at night is cold . The draughts are awful and this is a modern built rental home.
Apart from Hobart , Melbourne does have the coldest winters but I am find them pleasant. Give me a couple of years and I,ll be freezing just like everyone else.

booboo